Become a Patron!

Hitting way to hard

Tjg1118

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
so I just completed my first mod and I had the local vape shop make my coils just tried it out and legit think I put a hole in my lung I have a Sony battery with a Pegasus clone and a tug boat atty I believe they did a dual coil around 3-4 ohms thinking that is 2 much thanks in advance

Tjg1118

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I also can't even taste my e liquid kinda smells like a burning smell

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
OK what size is that wire?
you might be anywhere from .15-.45. or lower.
So ya if you are not used to it, that is to much.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Take it back to the local vape shop and let them check it out.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Take it back to the local vape shop and let them check it out.
No shit.
Did they ohm test it? if not, they have no fucking clue what they are doing period. Ohm meter test the build every build... thinking you know what you are doing vs. actually knowing what you are doing it two different things.
If they built it without testing for shorts and what the ohm is what wire are they using?

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
take it back and ask them for a higher ohm build maybe like 0.5-0.6, i hate seeing shops setting people up with 0.2 ohm builds like they can handle that and know what they are doing. 0.2 is something you work up to with a "vape tolerance" i guess you could call it and some dont even like it (like myself)

you will have to learn to build though to really find your sweet spot with different wire gauges and size coils, but a higher build would take the heat down to where you can taste the flavors and not roast your throat

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
@M5amhan That bullshit is why I went into a local one and asked who makes the coils. They had built a new vapor's coils at a .18 with a battery not able to handle the amp drain. I pointed the kid in the right direction.
When I found out I asked him if he was actually cruel or just fucktarded and clueless. He had just watched a few rip tripper vids and thought he could make safe coils.
Not one of the batteries they carried in shop were safe enough to handle sub ohm.

Sully

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, everyone is different. I've let folks that don't even vape or smoke try dual series box with mutation @ 130watts and love it. I've also let people who do smoke and vape try 30watts with nearly no nic and choke. It's all about hitting technique and having the proper build and surface area for your available airflow. I have builds that push over 150watts that are cool as can be (when vaped properly).

Tjg1118

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
M

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    684.9 KB · Views: 133

Tjg1118

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Looks alittle sloppy to me but hey what do I know new to the game

Tjg1118

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Even when I took a drag that almost killed me I didn't even produce that much cloud looking for any help

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Ok, the coils look ok...but there is WAY too much wick. The wick should extend through the coil and into the juice well ONLY. You have wick around the outside of the coil as well and that is part of the issue. I vape .17ohm dual builds and there is NO harshness whatsoever.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Even when I took a drag that almost killed me I didn't even produce that much cloud looking for any help
Too much wicking inhibits air flow....thus producing LITTLE vapour. I have seen way too many overly wicked drippers, and as I have said time and time again....the wick is a transport system for juice...NOT a reservoir to hold juice. Try the wick suggestion. Also, when you have the wick removed, take a pic of the coils whilst glowing, so we can check it for hot spots. One thing I did notice is that one coil has longer legs than the other...they should be evenly spaced from the posts. It does not matter if they are right up to the posts, or 2mm away...they just need to be even.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Looks alittle sloppy to me but hey what do I know new to the game

Coils ideally should be close to the posts, but not touching the posts.

No need for as much cotton as you can cram in there. Just a dab will do ya.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
One of my builds: Tobh V2, .17ohm dual micros (7 wraps of 22g)
pYukvHT.png

A5UebV7.png

The entire centre of the deck is clear of wicking and there is a noticeable space underneath the coil. The coils are set high in order to take full advantage of airflow.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I also offset the legs so as to centre the coils. This accomplishes two critical things.....it allows airflow to completely surround the coils, as well as providing even space on either side of the coils for the wick...this allows juice to feed the coil evenly from both sides. You know you have done it correctly when you pulse your juiced build with the cap on...and most of the vapour comes out of the drip tip....CHOO CHOO!
N7lK18L.png

Notice how NO vapour is coming out of the holes in the sleeve? That means air is coming in evenly....bathing the coils, and creating a vortex that naturally exits the top.

Tjg1118

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I believe they used cheap coils and cheap cotton didn't go to usual vape shop because I needed a clone and I found one at this place but will be going to my regular one tomorrow as well as taking some more pictures

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I believe they used cheap coils and cheap cotton didn't go to usual vape shop because I needed a clone and I found one at this place but will be going to my regular one tomorrow as well as taking some more pictures
Keep us posted....I know I speak for all of VU when I say.....We want you CHUCKIN!

Tjg1118

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks really appreciate the help guy hopefully soon I will be building all my own stuff so I won't have these issues

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Now that looks clean!!
Thank you! I do a BUNCH of these builds at two of my local shops. I also have a tutorial on Orchid builds...which also (in principal) work on Kayfuns and the like.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Gotta love @franciscan. Such a good guy.

I don't have any local shops anywhere, so i've had to learn everything by just experimenting different setups on different attys. Eventually i did get some sort of a grasp on things after watching a ton of videos, trying to duplicate the results. Cost me time, blood, kanthal, cotton and juice but after a while things started to work out. Now i can make all sorts of mad coils and have them work, some better than the other. Right now im working on a horizontal clapton chimney on my brand new Veritas and i absolutely love the feeling when i accomplish the results i was carefully hoping for. Be brave and start wrapping, some day you will master the art of coil building. And enjoy learning, for me that was and is the best part of vaping.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Looks like a wonky center post build. I see at least one hot spot coil on the coil damned near touching the center post. the other looks like there is some hot leg action going on to the ground.

What area are you in?
Maybe a local near you would be willing to teach or show you how to bust out a chuckin set of coils.

Tjg1118

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So my trusted vape shop built me new coil and for free learned my lesson should have went to them from the start now I'm looking for crazy clouds what's a good atty I'm using this fuck boat clone

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 59

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Looking better.
I still would have gotten the coils closer to the posts though.

Sully

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
what's a good atty I'm using this fuck boat clone
Dark Horse and Mutation X V2 chuck monster clouds. I like them both quite a bit. :)

Sully

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Meanwhile there's the Mutation x v3, which I personally prefer over my Dark Horse.
Yeah, saw those. From what I can tell the only difference is the airholes are drilled at an angle and it's $10 cheaper. Curious how that changes the feel of the airflow.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Airflow "feel" is more the product of the top cap. Caps that are milled with a conical interiour are going to have a greater tendency to form a vortex air flow to the drip tip. Build has a great deal to do with that as well. Cool incoming air from opposing directions is heated by the coils, then influenced by a rapid drop in atmospheric pressure due to your draw (think tornadoe formation). The rest is a product of inhale/exhale technique. When it comes to blowing clouds, it really has little to do with the arrangement of the air holes, and more about what is going on within the atomiser + technique.

Last edited:

Sully

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Airflow "feel" is going to more the product of the top cap. Caps that are milled with a conical interiour are going to have a greater tendency to form a vortex air flow to the drip tip. Build has a great deal to do with that as well. Cool incoming air from opposing directions is heated by the coils, then influenced by a rapid drop in atmospheric pressure due to your draw (think tornadoe formation). The rest is a product of inhale/exhale technique. When it comes to blowing clouds, it really has little to do with the arrangement of the air holes, and more about what is going on within the atomiser + technique.
Hmm...So the Mutation V3 is a gimmick? Same as V2? (Totally could be IMO!)They thought the angled airholes was enough to market V3 as something different. I was never going to buy one since I have the V2 but I would expect it to perform a little differently. I totally agree with what your saying but I would think the experience would be at least slightly different (same build, wicking and technique) than the V2.

Last edited:

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Hmm...So the Mutation V3 is a gimmick? Same as V2? They thought the angled airholes was enough to market V3 as something different. I was never going to buy one since I have the V2 but I would expect it to perform a little differently. I totally agree with what your saying but I would think the experience would be at least slightly different (same build, wicking and technique) than the V2.
Increased airflow. In my experience at cloud comps...Mutation X's do not dominate......that being said, it must be something else. I am not in any way discounting the Mutation series of atty's whatsoever....but I do find that over 75% of the people that swear by them...also have over half of the holes covered.

Sully

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Increased airflow. In my experience at cloud comps...Mutation X's do not dominate......that being said, it must be something else. I am not in any way discounting the Mutation series of atty's whatsoever....but I do find that over 75% of the people that swear by them...also have over half of the holes covered.
Guilty, I run mine at 140w with 1/3 of the airholes covered. I'm more of a flavor chaser that likes looking at thick, dense clouds. That said, each one of my atty's has a different 'airflow effect'. Some smooth, some more violent. I was just curious if the V2 and V3 mutation had a different airflow effect.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Guilty, I run mine at 140w with 1/3 of the airholes covered. I'm more of a flavor chaser that likes looking at thick, dense clouds. That said, each one of my atty's has a different 'airflow effect'. Some smooth, some more violent. I was just curious if the V2 and V3 mutation had a different airflow effect.
That I can not answer to as I have not had the opportunity to vape those versions....but they are still wildly popular...so there ye go! :)

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So my trusted vape shop built me new coil and for free learned my lesson should have went to them from the start now I'm looking for crazy clouds what's a good atty I'm using this fuck boat clone
A tugboat can make some big clouds with a good build.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Or a mr. Owl can out "chuck" a mutation x in my experience. Super wide bore drip top and the air holes are just right.

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Looking better.
I still would have gotten the coils closer to the posts though.
I do not agree with that, respectfully. I pull my coils out around 1mm from my airholes, with the bottom of my coil at the same height of the bottom of my airhole. I guess everyone should try both and see what they like on a given rda.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
.15 80 watts... Sweet spot
Sent from my
LUMIA 1520

Attachments

• 2df7c4a5-7bef-4f95-ae59-1e6d93d20819_TapatalkEditedImage.jpg
    2df7c4a5-7bef-4f95-ae59-1e6d93d20819_TapatalkEditedImage.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 24

manson

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok, I shall eat some crow now. In regards to my opinion on the MutationX....ahem....well....ehmm....I bought a MutationX deck tonight with a glass bell cap......I APPROVE OF THIS!!!!
sEn7dLY.png

dingo1799

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok, I shall eat some crow now. In regards to my opinion on the MutationX....ahem....well....ehmm....I bought a MutationX deck tonight with a glass bell cap......I APPROVE OF THIS!!!!
sEn7dLY.png

Turned it into a completely different animal didn't it. Try it with nichrome and rayon, I been rocking mine for the last month savoring the flavor!

E184B387-A9B3-499C-8BF3-EEC95B74116A.jpg
E184B387-A9B3-499C-8BF3-EEC95B74116A.jpg

Last edited:

manson

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
WOW, great advice Senor Franciscan. I guess I've been smothering my coils. I figured with three coils and a shit load of cotton, I'd be chuckin' clouds that I couldn't see through. WRONG. Now, I have reduced my wicking down to half, and I'm chuckin' clouds I can't see through. Thank you for holding my hand and guiding me towards the light..........I was ready to go buy a pack of.........unmentionables.

Attachments

• IMG_20150227_200924_210-2.jpg
    IMG_20150227_200924_210-2.jpg
    720.8 KB · Views: 12

manson

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I also have a Tobh Atty. I will apply your sage advice. The pic's of your build look really.......loss for words. But i was wondering how to overcome the tab on the deck or the air flow. I was always setting my coils to the right at about 2mm away from them. It hit quite well, but human nature always wants MORE. Your coils seem no where near any of the holes, but you say it's not necessary. As soon as i can see through my new found love of less wicking , i'mo gonna build on ma TOBH............Bowing my head in honor of your scientific knowledge.

dingo1799

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I do not agree with that, respectfully. I pull my coils out around 1mm from my airholes, with the bottom of my coil at the same height of the bottom of my airhole. I guess everyone should try both and see what they like on a given rda.

As the juice is vaporized off the coils, the more airflow you can get mixed with the vaporized juice = more vapor. More vapor = more clouds. Next build you make, try leaving as much room for airflow around the coils as you can. Meaning put them out against the walls, as close to the air ports and as far away from everything else as possible. Providing the coils and wick are correct, i think you'll see what I mean.
I have a zenith atty I use on my copper mech, coils are spaced as close to the walls as possible without touching, and up high enough the air coming in from the ports actually hit the bottom and go underneath the coils. Its a fogger. I'll take a pic in the morning and edit this post w it.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Coiling / wicking a rebuildable atomizer is like putting on underwear: it's something you do yourself. Nobody but you knows what build works best for you.

Last edited:

manson

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have to remove mine from the ceiling

MoFasterMo

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
But i was wondering how to overcome the tab on the deck or the air flow. I was always setting my coils to the right at about 2mm away from them.
Cut the tabs off and then cut your 3 air holes into a large slot on each side.
With Chuff cap on it I'm not sure it's even still a Tohb Atty anymore, but it does kick ass!
(sorry for the crap phone pic's)

photo(37).JPG
Tobh.jpg

VU Sponsors