How are Quantities Measured?

VapesXO

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm looking to get into making my own juice, and I like a lot of @HeadInClouds' recipes.
However, I'm beyond confused when it comes to how the quantities are measured out.

For example, HIC's Bailey's Coke recipe calls for 3% FA Cola and 3% FA Irish Cream.
How do I measure 3% out? Is it just 3% of whatever I want my PG% to be?

So, if I wanted 10ml of 50/50, 0mg juice, would this be correct?
  • I want 10ml of 50/50, so I need 5ml of VG
  • I 50% PG, and am using 2 flavors at 3% each, so; 3%+3%=6%, 50%-6%=44. 5ml*44%=2.2ml of PG.
  • I have 2.8ml to use up, so; 2.8ml/2 flavors=1.4ml of each flavor. 1.4+1.4+2.2+5=10ml.
Is that right, or am I totally off? I SUCK at math, so I wouldn't be surprised if I'm way off base, lol. :rolleyes:

GmaVapor

Member For 4 Years
I'm probably worse at math than you are. I use ejuiceme up software that's free. There are other ones out there. It does all the math work for you.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm looking to get into making my own juice, and I like a lot of @HeadInClouds' recipes.
However, I'm beyond confused when it comes to how the quantities are measured out.

For example, HIC's Bailey's Coke recipe calls for 3% FA Cola and 3% FA Irish Cream.
How do I measure 3% out? Is it just 3% of whatever I want my PG% to be?

So, if I wanted 10ml of 50/50, 0mg juice, would this be correct?
  • I want 10ml of 50/50, so I need 5ml of VG
  • I 50% PG, and am using 2 flavors at 3% each, so; 3%+3%=6%, 50%-6%=44. 5ml*44%=2.2ml of PG.
  • I have 2.8ml to use up, so; 2.8ml/2 flavors=1.4ml of each flavor. 1.4+1.4+2.2+5=10ml.
Is that right, or am I totally off? I SUCK at math, so I wouldn't be surprised if I'm way off base, lol. :rolleyes:

If you want 3% flavor, then 10ml x .03 = 0.3 ml of flavoring x 2 (since you have two flavorings) = 0.6 ml of flavoring

It's the percentage of the overall juice but you probably do want to take it out of the pg since flavoring is usually pg based.

So that would be 5ml of vg, 4.4ml of pg, and 0.6ml of flavoring.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I was actually about to post a similar question b4 seeing this...I was confused as to rather or not this was based on a certain amount like 3ml or 5ml or 10ml batches made for all the recipes i keep seeing.

VapesXO

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm probably worse at math than you are. I use ejuiceme up software that's free. There are other ones out there. It does all the math work for you.
Ooh, thanks! I just downloaded it and it seems great!

If you want 3% flavor, then 10ml x .03 = 0.3 ml of flavoring x 2 (since you have two flavorings) = 0.6 ml of flavoring

It's the percentage of the overall juice but you probably do want to take it out of the pg since flavoring is usually pg based.

So that would be 5ml of vg, 4.4ml of pg, and 0.6ml of flavoring.
Ah, okay. So I was WAY off!
facepalm.gif

I just calculated the recipe in eJuice Me Up and it matches your numbers.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I was actually about to post a similar question b4 seeing this...I was confused as to rather or not this was based on a certain amount like 3ml or 5ml or 10ml batches made for all the recipes i keep seeing.
The percentages stay the same, no matter what size you make, obviously your final measurement will be larger in larger bottles. Your end result will be the same flavor.

vape.queen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So guys, I can't use PG...so I use high end vodka to carry flavor and thin my VG.... Any other suggestions for flavor carrier?

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
So guys, I can't use PG...so I use high end vodka to carry flavor and thin my VG.... Any other suggestions for flavor carrier?

I use up to 20% water on my max-VG base. Distilled works fine.

vape.queen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Does it help carry the flavor? I only ask because I tried it without anything but VG and flavoring. It was good the first hit, then I tasted nothing but plain VG. Will thinning it with the distilled help that aspect?

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Does it help carry the flavor? I only ask because I tried it without anything but VG and flavoring. It was good the first hit, then I tasted nothing but plain VG. Will thinning it with the distilled help that aspect?

Well, it thins the texture, which allows the flavoring to mix in more readily. Lots of shaking and/or warming it up will help with that, too.
I used to vape 75% PG....then 50%....finally max VG. I haven't had to adjust any recipes because of that, but I do have thin with water and shake it more.
Everything tastes sweeter with all this VG (I like sweet), but the strength is no different to me.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
I'm no expert, but I'll make a 3ml test batch at first and figure it at 33 drops per ml. so 3 ml is roughly 100 drops. That way 1 drop is equal to 1%.

If you have bottles all with the same kind of dropper tips, this is the fastest, easiest way to try out new flavors and simple recipes. I works great for me.

Sirkris

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I read somewhere on here that the orange FA bottles were 65 drops per ml..or something close to that. So on those bottles I tend to double the drops..

VU Sponsors