Become a Patron!

How do you avoid the " oh look and new shiny mod/atty/cool vape thingy"

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Does it ever end? Each time I think that this is IT, THIS is the combo, it doesn't get better than THIS, but wait. What's this new mod. Look another RDA. But, I have't tried and RTA. When does it stop? I just spent $150 on a mod when 3 months ago I would have called myself an idiot for spending that on a mod. The $40 ones work just fine...

:crazy::crazy::crazy:

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
heres how
get a custom pwm mod or custom dna mod or custom sx whatever board number they are on now mod
once you get that all the chinese mods will seem pointless imho
Then you will just be buying new custom mods for variety and looks

as far as rtas attys go
they are all basically the same thing any more

they are just copies of each other.

take every one you own
but the same build and wick in them all
set them to the same exact setting on every device
Find the one that has the best flavor and the least annoying to use (fill,wick,build etc)
Buy more of that put the rest in a drawer for vapocoplyse

Then when everything you have starts annoying you in 6 months to a year
start over

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hmm for me one thing that excludes many shiny things is a rule of no atty over 22mm diameter.
No side hole squonkers.
No mods with over 2 batteries, 1 preferred.

Well all that and the wife giving all the money to the grandchildren....

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Do some blind testing, see in reality just how similar most things really are. Somethings shininess is the only thing that really makes you 'think' it is different - most are just 'the same shit in a different box.'

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Usually the red numbers displayed on my bank account keeps me from buying very much
My wife put the brakes on. Now I'm slowly getting rta s I love again.

I still can't justify the pwm mod or dna ### mod. Maybe one day.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vaping is a fashion thing to many.
A status thing to some.

For me as long as it works good is comfortable and fairly simple to use I like it.
Been using the same Kbox mini 50W and STM V2 tank with RBA for over 2 years now.
Still works fine, a battery a day thru the mod.

aeon

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If you have a few atomizers, think about what you like from each of them, and what you don’t like, and let that list of good/bad guide your choices in the future. I did that and it led me to a RDA, which will be my 13th one.

And like mattp169 said above, there isn’t too much on the market that is new and innovative, so perhaps there’s not too much to be excited about.

Once you drop the coin enough times when something is “ooh, shiny!” and you then reconcile that with the actual vape experience, you come to a place where you get more prudent about laying it out for the latest flash and trash.

Cheers,
Ian

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Some I don't go to vape shop or look at online stores. . Unless I NEED to buy something from the store.... I don't do SHOPPIBG.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's all junk or redundant imo. There is nothing new on the market, other than a few squonkers that I have a real interest in.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's all junk or redundant imo. There is nothing new on the market, other than a few squonkers that I have a real interest in.
Yep pretty much the same.
I mean how many different style build decks does a person need?

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Im the type of person who likes to find something I like and stick with it. When I started vaping it was my goal to find a replacement for my American spirits; one replacement, not the dozens sitting unused on table. I found that one setup but it cost me a lot of time and money to arrive where I'm at.

whatitstrue

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Ive been vaping over 6 years. For me it never ends. There's always tons of new shiney stuff I want to buy. Some of it I buy some I don't. As long as your not buying things instead of taking care of bills and food and aren't putting yourself in debt. I say buy as much or as little as you want. Right now a lot is the same with subtle differences I like. I usually have 2 or 3 mods going at a time and change out often. Yet I have a 6 year old reo I still use everyday. Do what's comfortable and enjoy your vape.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
I'm just starting to figure out what works for me. Now I know what to stockpile.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It doesn't cost anything to look. And you can't buy what you don't have money for. If you do have money, then where's the problem?

Andria

Dustyjeans

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Does it ever end? Each time I think that this is IT, THIS is the combo, it doesn't get better than THIS, but wait. What's this new mod. Look another RDA. But, I have't tried and RTA. When does it stop? I just spent $150 on a mod when 3 months ago I would have called myself an idiot for spending that on a mod. The $40 ones work just fine...

Damn i hear ya

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Dustyjeans

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
heres how
get a custom pwm mod or custom dna mod or custom sx whatever board number they are on now mod
once you get that all the chinese mods will seem pointless imho
Then you will just be buying new custom mods for variety and looks

as far as rtas attys go
they are all basically the same thing any more

they are just copies of each other.

take every one you own
but the same build and wick in them all
set them to the same exact setting on every device
Find the one that has the best flavor and the least annoying to use (fill,wick,build etc)
Buy more of that put the rest in a drawer for vapocoplyse

Then when everything you have starts annoying you in 6 months to a year
start over
Good idea

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When I first started vaping I really wanted a Vaporshark but thought I would never spend that type of money on a mod. After a dozen or so sub $100 mods I finally bought the VS and haven't really used anything else since.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I'm pretty much a hoarder and not 100% sure the FDA won't screw us all so.....I really don't restrict myself. I always make sure the bills are paid, etc....extra money? After putting a bit away for savings, I blow it all on vape stuff. I'm not smoking. That's all the justification I need. :D

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I have no interest in avoiding buying the next piece of hardware.
I collect them.
If it wasn't vape gear it'd probably be something else that just costs money with no return on investment so it might as well be something I can use.
I see no reason to avoid something I enjoy as long as I can afford it.
If that changes, I'll start collecting post-it notes.

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Im the type of person who likes to find something I like and stick with it. When I started vaping it was my goal to find a replacement for my American spirits; one replacement, not the dozens sitting unused on table. I found that one setup but it cost me a lot of time and money to arrive where I'm at.

This is the way I usually am. My other hobbies it's easier because the items are WAY more expensive the vape junk.

I'm also just a little over a year in so I'm still exploring the various styles of vaping. Fortunately I'm usually able to talk myself out of the "oooo shiney " syndrome. on the flip side I'm enjoying the hobby of vaping. There's really no hobby to cigarettes.

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When I first started vaping I really wanted a Vaporshark but thought I would never spend that type of money on a mod. After a dozen or so sub $100 mods I finally bought the VS and haven't really used anything else since.

That's what I'm hoping with the Therion that is on the way.

BearHunter104

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Well, the best two days of owning a boat finally happened and now I have some extra cash. Heading to my local vapor shop just to look around . Yeah sure

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think I don't have too much of a problem with it because of the type person I am. I can appreciate things that look nice but also recognize that looks or the 'shiny' is shortlived. Can't speak for everyone, just myself. Lots of things look cool but in the long run will either become annoying or unimpressive. Especially the more you're around something or the more I am.

I used to look at cars and think wow, that's really awesome or damn that looks sweet. Things that they polish up on a showroom floor to highlight. After a number of years as an auto tech and seeing so many different cars it became 'functional' more or less. Took a lot more to gain the wow factor. Novelties like the 'floating' gauge needles on the lincoln dash and stuff wore off pretty quick, it's cool the first couple times you see it then after a few times you realize you rarely look at the gauges from a practical point of view. Or having something like a 32 direction adjustable seat with ass warmers and back massagers built in - my first question is yea, how long til that shit breaks and how expensive will it be to fix it?

When it comes to mods I want something that works. It doesn't have to have 30 million menus and sub menus, shit I'll use once maybe then either forget or can't be bothered with. I don't need spinning turds or flashing bullshit, I don't live in vegas and I'm fine by that. More importantly, how secure is the battery door/cover, is it going to fall off, stop latching and how big of a pain in the ass is it going to be swapping batteries? If it's a slick looking mod that appears to be a rolex on the outside, does it have funky battery connections that are going to tear my wraps? If so, fuck it. I don't need those headaches in my life. I wish more mods looked like a rolex, classy, understated or whatever you want to call it. Something that looks as nice on an office desk as it does in a cupholder, something that's not out of place whether in a tshirt and shorts or a suit. Many of the recent mods with the circus theme going on looks about as out of place as an executive with a scooby doo lunch pail sitting on the corner of their walnut desk. I had a sticker book as a kid, I'm over it. I don't put bumper stickers on my car, I don't put stickers on my mod or my luggage. lol.

Many are becoming similar and outside of gimmicks many mods and atomizers are identical or damn near. I'm not a mech fan but I might pick up a couple eventually as backups in case of fda b.s. eventually or to fall back if waiting to get another regulated. With only a few rta's and an rdta at the moment I still find myself using one at a time. If I had 20 or 30 they'd be sitting on a shelf. Unique designs I've found with several different products vaping or not can be a royal pia sourcing replacement things for. If it has a unique glass tank or a weird seal no one else uses or a drip tip sized somewhere between a goon and 510, now we've just created an unnecessary pain in the ass situation. More 'plain' or universal tend to mean easier sourcing for things. Hence I'm a pc person rather than apple, same concept.

Long story short I guess most of it doesn't tempt me because it's mostly more of the same. Nothing against hobbyists or collectors who like to amass large shelves full of stuff. If someone likes something and wants to buy more of it they should if it brings them enjoyment. I'm grateful for the progress vaping gear has made but I don't need to own every piece of gear ever made. Many times even with new stuff coming out it's very hit or miss as to whether I'm even interested in it or not. Maybe I'm lucky since I lack the 'shinyitus' temptation.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I think I don't have too much of a problem with it because of the type person I am. I can appreciate things that look nice but also recognize that looks or the 'shiny' is shortlived. Can't speak for everyone, just myself. Lots of things look cool but in the long run will either become annoying or unimpressive. Especially the more you're around something or the more I am.

I used to look at cars and think wow, that's really awesome or damn that looks sweet. Things that they polish up on a showroom floor to highlight. After a number of years as an auto tech and seeing so many different cars it became 'functional' more or less. Took a lot more to gain the wow factor. Novelties like the 'floating' gauge needles on the lincoln dash and stuff wore off pretty quick, it's cool the first couple times you see it then after a few times you realize you rarely look at the gauges from a practical point of view. Or having something like a 32 direction adjustable seat with ass warmers and back massagers built in - my first question is yea, how long til that shit breaks and how expensive will it be to fix it?

When it comes to mods I want something that works. It doesn't have to have 30 million menus and sub menus, shit I'll use once maybe then either forget or can't be bothered with. I don't need spinning turds or flashing bullshit, I don't live in vegas and I'm fine by that. More importantly, how secure is the battery door/cover, is it going to fall off, stop latching and how big of a pain in the ass is it going to be swapping batteries? If it's a slick looking mod that appears to be a rolex on the outside, does it have funky battery connections that are going to tear my wraps? If so, fuck it. I don't need those headaches in my life. I wish more mods looked like a rolex, classy, understated or whatever you want to call it. Something that looks as nice on an office desk as it does in a cupholder, something that's not out of place whether in a tshirt and shorts or a suit. Many of the recent mods with the circus theme going on looks about as out of place as an executive with a scooby doo lunch pail sitting on the corner of their walnut desk. I had a sticker book as a kid, I'm over it. I don't put bumper stickers on my car, I don't put stickers on my mod or my luggage. lol.

Many are becoming similar and outside of gimmicks many mods and atomizers are identical or damn near. I'm not a mech fan but I might pick up a couple eventually as backups in case of fda b.s. eventually or to fall back if waiting to get another regulated. With only a few rta's and an rdta at the moment I still find myself using one at a time. If I had 20 or 30 they'd be sitting on a shelf. Unique designs I've found with several different products vaping or not can be a royal pia sourcing replacement things for. If it has a unique glass tank or a weird seal no one else uses or a drip tip sized somewhere between a goon and 510, now we've just created an unnecessary pain in the ass situation. More 'plain' or universal tend to mean easier sourcing for things. Hence I'm a pc person rather than apple, same concept.

Long story short I guess most of it doesn't tempt me because it's mostly more of the same. Nothing against hobbyists or collectors who like to amass large shelves full of stuff. If someone likes something and wants to buy more of it they should if it brings them enjoyment. I'm grateful for the progress vaping gear has made but I don't need to own every piece of gear ever made. Many times even with new stuff coming out it's very hit or miss as to whether I'm even interested in it or not. Maybe I'm lucky since I lack the 'shinyitus' temptation.

Didn't I tell you once that if you run for president, I'll vote for you? I'm pretty sure I thought it, but in case I only imagined typing it here, "Please run for president, I'll vote for you, and tell everyone I know to do the same!"

This exactly:
When it comes to mods I want something that works. It doesn't have to have... ...

It just has to work reliably, and keep doing so for at least a year or two, though longer would be even better -- I've got quite a few mods that are 2+ yrs old and still work very well. And simple is better than complicated, hands down, any damn day of the week -- though I do prefer a regulated vape, so it's always pretty much the same, not varying with the battery's charge, it doesn't have to have TC, or more than 30-40 watts (of which I use about 10!), and the atty doesn't need to have 19 different things to adjust either -- an RDA with a deep well that doesn't leak is vape nirvana.

Gimmicks and gizmos are fine, they're fun to look at and play with, but what I'm after is a way to stay off cigarettes; I have a TV, PC, smart phone, tablet, and tons of books both e- and paper for entertainment. ;)

Andria

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Didn't I tell you once that if you run for president, I'll vote for you? I'm pretty sure I thought it, but in case I only imagined typing it here, "Please run for president, I'll vote for you, and tell everyone I know to do the same!"

This exactly:

It just has to work reliably, and keep doing so for at least a year or two, though longer would be even better -- I've got quite a few mods that are 2+ yrs old and still work very well. And simple is better than complicated, hands down, any damn day of the week -- though I do prefer a regulated vape, so it's always pretty much the same, not varying with the battery's charge, it doesn't have to have TC, or more than 30-40 watts (of which I use about 10!), and the atty doesn't need to have 19 different things to adjust either -- an RDA with a deep well that doesn't leak is vape nirvana.

Gimmicks and gizmos are fine, they're fun to look at and play with, but what I'm after is a way to stay off cigarettes; I have a TV, PC, smart phone, tablet, and tons of books both e- and paper for entertainment. ;)

Andria
LMAO. Yea I don't see a POTUS run in my future. Nothing wrong with the flashy stuff if people like it, not trying to make vaping boring for people but I'm definitely a function over form type of person. Other than maybe hand feel, ergonomics do play into it and sharp square boxes aren't my fave. A durable fire button, paint that sticks, stuff like that would be awesome. I'm glad there are lots of choices but so many seem to copycat one another. I'd rather they put the r&d into how to keep juice from reaching the internals than glowing leds. I like tc when it works but throwing out cheap/flaky tc just to tick a box doesn't thrill me. Maybe it's just my age, I'm also not thrilled with touchscreens. I don't even like them on smart phones, I tolerate them but definitely don't go seeking it out. I'm more into the tactile simplistic function of a button and 'click', it works.

When I was a smoker I favored bics because they were plain, they fit in a pocket and they worked almost flawlessly first time every time. Not 15 flicks to get a flame, no shaking etc. I did have a novelty lighter with a silicone portion of a woman's bust, the breasts lit up and flashed when you pushed them and larry the cable guy would yell 'get er done!' but it wasn't my reliable daily driver lol.

voicenyerhed

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I keep my focus on DIY juice now. New flavors = new vape experience & is cheaper than mods & tanks. I am getting prepped to get a new mod, but only because I want a back up for myself & my wife.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just randomly order cheap vape related things from fasttech with free shipping so it takes forever, it's when I don't have any vape mail on it's way that I start to feel the shinyitis itch...

And the best thing is when something I forgot I ordered shows up. It`s like Christmas.

That`s pretty cool
biggrin.gif

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I vape MTL preferring a tighter draw so it's easier now to pass on the new shiney stuff since the atomizer tank drip tips have gotten as wide as a friggin' garden hose :D

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
Shinyitis takes over in the beginning- trying to fine tune what you like and don't like! I have been collecting my faves and selling off the Not For Me or giving stuff away!
I would have been wasting my money on cigarettes, that I just throw away! The mods and tanks build up in your collection, not disposable and still have value!
I still don't trust the FDA or the State- so I want to make sure I can keep vaping in the future and have quite the stockpile! I just try to buy during a big sale and hopefully save some money too!

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Shinyitis takes over in the beginning- trying to fine tune what you like and don't like! I have been collecting my faves and selling off the Not For Me or giving stuff away!
I would have been wasting my money on cigarettes, that I just throw away! The mods and tanks build up in your collection, not disposable and still have value!
I still don't trust the FDA or the State- so I want to make sure I can keep vaping in the future and have quite the stockpile! I just try to buy during a big sale and hopefully save some money too!
Me too! I've been in way too many situations in my life that I was broke....now I definitely prepare for the worst, especially with vaping. I'm stocked up for a while, even if the FDA puts the screws to us.....but there's always room for more! ;)

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I vape MTL preferring a tighter draw so it's easier now to pass on the new shiney stuff since the atomizer tank drip tips have gotten as wide as a friggin' garden hose :D

Exaxctly this. I rarely bother to look at new attys at all. But I do occasionally peek at new mods. I've never felt *compelled* to buy any vape gear, just because I looked at it... but then, I'm 56 yrs old, not a child. I love to "window shop".... I only make a purchase when it's something I actually need, or have been wanting for a long time, and I actually have the money.

Andria

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm hoping to be at that point soon. It's a tad premature but I think I may have found "the one" setup that does it for me. If that's the case then I'll get me a second of the mod for a back up (luckily I'm easy on mods) and a few more of this RTA's. I know I can get there because I don't build a new computer ever couple of months like I used to..

VU Sponsors