Become a Patron!

How do YOU build for your series mech?

kstat83

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I just put a build together for my first series mech and it's blowing my brains out. Too hot. Too fast. I knew to build higher than for a parallel, so I threw a single coil at about .45 on there. The coil is a bit long which probably accounts for some of the slow wicking but even freshly soaked it's just a bit too much for me.

For those series box users out there, how do YOU build for a more comfortable vape?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
.45 is super-low for a single coil. You could go well over an ohm and it would still charge like a bank you've overdrawn from.

I like dual claptons a lot. The wicking keeps up better for a smoother vape and the extra wire helps displace all of the excess heat. I know some people like to do fused claptons and other more compelx builds, but I find that anything parallel is too much for me in series. There's no need to double your current when you're already working with 8 odd volts. It's better to keep the resistance up. That being said, a single fused clapton or some sort of staged coil is probably doable and damned good if you like singles.

I like a dual 9-10 wrap, 3mm dual 40g/24g kanthal clapton for the spacious, airflow monsters. It ohms out to around .5. That, for me is a very smooth, but powerful, billowing vape with plenty of flavor.

For something spacious with moderate airflow... ...say a Wotofo Lush with a 510 tip or the Sapor, I will usually opt for a 2.5mm-3mm dual 38/26 at around .65 ohms. It's a tad throatier, but the density is better and the vapor production is more manageable.

For my shorties like the Freakshow Mini and the Snubnose, I go for .8ish dual 38/28's. That's still quite warm and the vapor production is moderate, but the flavor is bangin and the texture is very taffy-like.

Straight dual 26's or 28's between .6-1.0 can be pretty nice. Dual 28's can actually hit pretty hard at above an ohm. Dual 24's can be pretty smooth for how aggressive they are on a Twisted Messes. I remember doing something like 10-11 wraps @ 3mm and liking that quite a lot. I tried going higher and doing something like 13 wraps, but at that point the coils were too big and the wicking wasn't there, even though they were still kicking up a lot of heat and vapor.

I've been meaning to try quad 28's. Seems like it'd be doable without being too huge to fit at a reasonable resistance. I don't do quads often, but I find that they do wick better than duals for high-powered builds. You get four sets of wicks feeding your surface area instead of two. Quads suck for low-power, but a series box should have the power to get em going and the extra wicking would probably help tame them a bit.

Last edited:

mkhilario

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I vape a 0.4 ohm single coil in my Freakshow Mini. The trick is 22 gauge wire. Performs like my Velocity Mini which has dual 24 gauge build except cooler. Gives a nice dense vape on my mechs. You could go to 0.5 with 22 gauge but any higher and the ramp time might be an issue.

Sorry, just re-read the OP and you're using a SERIES box. No wonder you're blowing your face off, haha. My box is parallel. You need a 20 gauge dual build. Or a triple or quad build.

Last edited:

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I actually have the exact opposite preference from @robot zombie-which is odd because I almost always agree with everything he ever says haha. I prefer really small fused claptons or really small aliens for my series/noisy cricket box. For me i've found that it helps to have a coil that soaks up juice itself. When i've used plain wire all the juice just sizzles right off in a big .25 sec puff and the wick can't keep up. With a more absorbent coil i can take a longer pull and get a nice smooth hit without worrying about it going dry on me. For a dual coil i try to land around .5, though anything between .4-.5 works for me. I like a stupid hot vape. One of my first series builds was a dual 10 wrap 30/40g fused clapton and it was awesome. A nice balance of temperature and wicking ability. All of this is obviously just my opinion-especially as far as target resistance goes. But i do find that a really small clapton of some variety works well when it comes to wicking and juice flow for sure. Good luck on your search! :p

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I'm fairly new to a series mod but I've tried the claptons 26/32 dual coil around a 0.45ohm build and it was great! But I actually enjoyed a regular dual coil 24g kanthal build around a 0.8ohm -12/14 wraps.
Mostly because I got significantly better battery life on it.

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I actually have the exact opposite preference from @robot zombie-which is odd because I almost always agree with everything he ever says haha. I prefer really small fused claptons or really small aliens for my series/noisy cricket box. For me i've found that it helps to have a coil that soaks up juice itself. When i've used plain wire all the juice just sizzles right off in a big .25 sec puff and the wick can't keep up. With a more absorbent coil i can take a longer pull and get a nice smooth hit without worrying about it going dry on me. For a dual coil i try to land around .5, though anything between .4-.5 works for me. I like a stupid hot vape. One of my first series builds was a dual 10 wrap 30/40g fused clapton and it was awesome. A nice balance of temperature and wicking ability. All of this is obviously just my opinion-especially as far as target resistance goes. But i do find that a really small clapton of some variety works well when it comes to wicking and juice flow for sure. Good luck on your search! :p
Haha, I think it's fair to say that we abide by the same general principles, but use them to slightly different ends.

I don't think we're in disagreement on series builds though. I also like the baby claps for my series builds. Thick wire isn't needed when you can do twice as many wraps and still hit 100w. The self-wicking and heat-dispersal make them the obvious choice for something to be pumping 8v of push into.

I like a hot vape, too. But I think we're using different types of atties or at least we're using them differently. My ideal airflow is something on the smallish side compared to what most people like for high-power. To this day, my favorite is a Mutation X v3 half closed off or something like the Sapor with a 510. I build a bit higher because I like the airflow somewhat restricted.

I think the only thing we're going to have to be at odds on are standard series builds. I've got to correct myself on what I said about them before, though. The wicking is indeed troublesome at normal diameters. You have to go into the super-macro range. 1/8" is almost too small. I'd say 9/64" is closer to where they need to be. 4mm would probably be best. The resistance also has to be higher to keep them from heating up too quickly. You can get away with .4 using dual 22 or 24, but anything thinner than that is going to be scorching at anything below .6.

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Haha, I think it's fair to say that we abide by the same general principles, but use them to slightly different ends.

I think the only thing we're going to have to be at odds on are standard series builds. I've got to correct myself on what I said about them before, though. The wicking is indeed troublesome at normal diameters. You have to go into the super-macro range. 1/8" is almost too small. I'd say 9/64" is closer to where they need to be. 4mm would probably be best. The resistance also has to be higher to keep them from heating up too quickly. You can get away with .4 using dual 22 or 24, but anything thinner than that is going to be scorching at anything below .6.

I actually never tried anything larger than 3mm, i'm gonna have to revisit the round wire!! I definitely still have quite a bit of exploring to do haha. I currently have a dotmod with the cloud cap and a phenotype, i suppose i didn't give much thought to attys with a tighter draw. With a more open draw the aliens and claptons work great, i may perform a few experiments because you raised an interesting topic about series builds for people who enjoy a tighter draw. Adventures! :p

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

I don't think we're in disagreement on series builds though. I also like the baby claps for my series builds. Thick wire isn't needed when you can do twice as many wraps and still hit 100w. The self-wicking and heat-dispersal make them the obvious choice for something to be pumping 8v of push into.

I like a hot vape, too. But I think we're using different types of atties or at least we're using them differently. My ideal airflow is something on the smallish side compared to what most people like for high-power. To this day, my favorite is a Mutation X v3 half closed off or something like the Sapor with a 510. I build a bit higher because I like the airflow somewhat restricted.

4631e7d752631a55409a6685e4c24b76.jpg

Hell yes on mxv3. I had this bitch in storage but popped in this 4x30k / spaced 36k paralleled with 24n80
2322db50fbfb7fccddeb129e66c4a04c.jpg

At .15ohm it destroys at 120w.....
Also i vape it without a drip tip... i prefer a direct hit from the mxv3.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors