Become a Patron!

How do you know when your clapton is burnt?

Warfcat

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I have a suspicion that my clapton might be burnt? First question, is it supposed to be black? second I dont know If it tastes burnt.... is the cotten supposed to darken a bit, sort of candyfy?

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a suspicion that my clapton might be burnt? First question, is it supposed to be black? second I dont know If it tastes burnt.... is the cotten supposed to darken a bit, sort of candyfy?
Running too high watts..... Claptons are sensitive they love low to mid heat......

Sent from my 710C using Tapatalk

Warfcat

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
hmm. so say im running 2x just normal coils, that come out to about .57 ohms, whats my wattage around?

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
hmm. so say im running 2x just normal coils, that come out to about .57 ohms, whats my wattage around?
Now that depend on the mod you have and what wire was used to make the coils... different wires would require different power levels and a mech mod would have a fixed power output where a regulated could be reduced or increased. A mech would start at about 30 watts and finish around 20. My guess is a .57 clapper would want 40 watts or more. Unless it built with rely small wires.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
How long has your coil been in use? If more than a few days,might just be gunked up. Clean the coil and re-wick.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The coil doesn't get burned, it gets gunky and the wick gets burnt.
If you pull out the wick and dry burn it you'll see it's as good as new.
The cotton is supposed to darken with use and how much it does depends on the color and the ingredients of the juice.

If it doesn't taste burned and doesn't degrade in performance just leave it alone.

Claptons are not sensitive to heat and can work just fine at high wattage, they are however more susceptible to gunking since they have more surface area.

Warfcat

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
ok thanks guys, Yeah its possible it was just gunked. because it didnt taste burnt but it looked it. Im also using coloured juice, so thats why the cotton changed colour.

Brad Mitchell

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Also sugar plays a part on the coil. I use a Marlboro flavor that, so I am told, has a lot of sugar. You should see my coils after 2 days, but I usually push it another 2 weeks before dry burn and rewick. Granted it's all about flavor, so if it tastes good don't mess with it unless you want to.

Edit:

My juice when steeped is really brown as well lol.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Also sugar plays a part on the coil. I use a Marlboro flavor that, so I am told, has a lot of sugar. You should see my coils after 2 days, but I usually push it another 2 weeks before dry burn and rewick. Granted it's all about flavor, so if it tastes good don't mess with it unless you want to.

Edit:

My juice when steeped is really brown as well lol.
If by sugar you mean Sucrose then no your juice doesn't contain any, first because coil caramelizing would be bad and second because Sucrose isn't sweet enough to be an effective sweetener for this application.
Juices contain either artificial sweeteners like Sucralose, alcohol sugars like EM or natural sweeteners like Stevia, neither of which caramelizes like Sucrose.

Brad Mitchell

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Then what would cause a darker coils to gunk up so fast? I know a few years ago a lot of people were saying that sweeter juices gunk up faster than other juices because of the sweetener now that hypothesis could have changed I'm not a chemist or anything just going off what I have been told and what I have read.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I didn't say sweeteners don't gunk coils, just said it's not Sucrose and that it doesn't caramelize.
Different chemicals (sweeteners and non sweeteners) react in different ways with each other and with heat and some gunk more then others, that's why some juices gunk more then others.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Then what would cause a darker coils to gunk up so fast? I know a few years ago a lot of people were saying that sweeter juices gunk up faster than other juices because of the sweetener now that hypothesis could have changed I'm not a chemist or anything just going off what I have been told and what I have read.

Oh thats easy....... The dark stuff is SOOT and char.. Comes from that tiny bit of juice that gets burnt everytime the coil heats and cools. There is smoke in vaping........... Just not very much.

Darker and sweeter juices just soot up faster.

Brad Mitchell

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unless I'm missing something that doesn't make much sense. Wouldn't light juice have as much "soot" as darker juice? Now what does make sense to me is the gunking of coils is from the sweetener and tobacco abstract or ingredients in the juice that doesn't become vaporized and airborne meaning left on the coil to become gunk.

To add a picture to my idea think of mud which is water and dirt. Leave mud out side and it become dirt because the water evaporates leaving just dirt.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The clearer the juice the fewer the disolved solids the slower the buildup of gunk. Less solids in solution means less byproduct of heat.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When coils get burnt... the resistance will change. Most often to zero. Because a burnt coil most often results in a blown circuit. Think old fashion light bulb?
When the wick burn it tastes bad and you change the wick.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When coils get burnt... the resistance will change. Most often to zero. Because a burnt coil most often results in a blown circuit. Think old fashion light bulb?
When the wick burn it tastes bad and you change the wick.

I would say that in my last 4 years of building I have never had a coil pop on me while in use (it did happen here and there while installing and fixing hot spots). Maybe eventually it does but you rebuild them long before that happens.

Last edited:

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ive had claptons run for months... id say a year or more but we will give it 8 or 9 months to be sure, running over 100-150w on a regular basis... with real sweet sweet juices...
clean em, they should still work well..
also never had coils pop on me. i have though had a coil meltdown while dry fire tests on a build... it was interesting to watch.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would say that in my last 4 years of building I have never had a coil pop on me while in use (it did happen here and there while installing and fixing hot spots). Maybe eventually it does but you rebuild them long before that happens.
Yeah.. only coils that ever popped on me are when working out hot legs of my geni tanks. Not even sure our mods can put out enough power to pop vapable coils... without a short being the cause.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sensitive? Really? I run claptons at all kinds of crazy wattage and have never had a problem.

He was referring to coil Temperature not wattage.. The coil might just have too little mass for the watts applied. Resulting in a hot vape.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you run claptons too high you might get clouds but not tasty clouds......

I normally vape in TC at 60w, 420-450 degrees. When I vape in regular wattage the highest I'll go is 120 and it's not very often or for very long.

Brad Mitchell

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The clearer the juice the fewer the disolved solids the slower the buildup of gunk. Less solids in solution means less byproduct of heat.

OK so I didn't connect the dots on what you were saying but we are basically saying the same thing. Though your version is more scientific than mine lol.

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I normally vape in TC at 60w, 420-450 degrees. When I vape in regular wattage the highest I'll go is 120 and it's not very often or for very long.
60 to 70 watts on 420 to 450 degrees is a tasty Vape...... Nice thick clouds specially when using SS coils ohming around .20 to .25 like these..... 4.5 mm dual Clapton alien 9wrap..... Good thick flavor clouds...... .20 ohms
IMAG1981_1.jpg

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
All these watt and ohm numbers are next meaningless without including wire grades and gauges. I am vaping .3 SS twisted wire build that run at 450 degrees also. But doesn't need more than 20 watts to do it.. I have some 28x38 Clapton wire comming I bet will run in the same power range I get with twisted28.. maybe a few more watts will be needed but not many.

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Those coils you see look small..... But you can put a pencil through it...... IMAG1981_1.jpg

VU Sponsors