Become a Patron!

How Long Should a Mod Last?

rocketveg

Member For 4 Years
to me, in an ideal world, the more expensive a mod is, the longer it should last. i'm thinking in terms of cell phones for example. we pay a lot for features but we're also paying for durability. lately it seems like anything electronic is about forced obsolescence. so the (insert device here) still works but it won't work with newer apps and features and browsers etc. i'm using a samsung note 5 which will be 2 years old in october and i'll be happy if it can keep up with tech developments beyond then. but a decade and more ago, i used to use all my devices for at least 4 years. i'm wishing any mod i spend more than $100 for will last me at least 2 years.

cloudblast

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I may consider that actually, thanks for the link

deff guna ride out my battle star and ipower first, any more than 2 vw mods and i will be in the "i have a problem" catagory lol

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Just thought I'd throw in -- iPVs are good mods. I've got a couple of their 30w minis, both over a year old, and though their paint is shit and they've had to be wrapped, the mods themselves just keep on truckin.. er, vapin' I guess. :D

Andria

cloudblast

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
30w is really underpowered for me but a good idea for my dad actually

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

TBH, I dunno if those original Minis are still available anywhere, but if you find any, they'd probably be dirt cheap; my first was $30, xmas of '15, and the 2nd which I got about a month later, was $25. But they're real workhorses. And the electronics are Yihi, so they have that "presets" feature, 5 available settings that are commonly used, but also easy to adjust "on the fly."

Andria

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Kbox mini.
Can charge in the mod or externally.
a 50w one has been a daily user for me for around 2 years now.

Not real wild about the topfil STM's though.

cloudblast

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Kbox mini.
Can charge in the mod or externally.
a 50w one has been a daily user for me for around 2 years now.

Not real wild about the topfil STM's though.

you should consider a smoant battlestar. I swear by it

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
to me, in an ideal world, the more expensive a mod is, the longer it should last. i'm thinking in terms of cell phones for example. we pay a lot for features but we're also paying for durability. lately it seems like anything electronic is about forced obsolescence. so the (insert device here) still works but it won't work with newer apps and features and browsers etc. i'm using a samsung note 5 which will be 2 years old in october and i'll be happy if it can keep up with tech developments beyond then. but a decade and more ago, i used to use all my devices for at least 4 years. i'm wishing any mod i spend more than $100 for will last me at least 2 years.
In an ideal world.... Maybe

Unfortunately, in the vape world things can get weird.

BAM crew

kross8

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
About how long should a mod last before it's no longer working properly? Considering the amount of electronics in it... the screen, the battery, ect.

I ask because I've had my eLeaf iStick Power 80w for a little less than a year and I think the battery is losing life.
in my case, i use mls/day to gauge the life expectancy of a regulated mod.

ie,, i vape 30+ mls a day,, so thats like saying i drive my car 30 miles a day ,, and a little more here and there. i love my pico's,, they have been the strongest longest lasting mods i have owned. my kangertech's lasted 3 to 5 months each. (i dont drop mods)

so,, i have pico A that lasted a few months,,the usb connector was pulled out by accident by me,,, over time the fire button must have shifted or something and it does act like it was dropped. (this is where i would throw an eyeshot/eyebrow glance at my husband lol) so i tossed into the rebuild box and went on to pico B,, promptly pulled that usb out too. (i got a new better quality cable to avoid that in the future..) meantime, pico B works fine,, the screen is getting dim. i plan to keep using it until it dies or becomes unsafe.

i attempted to take apart pico A to replace the board,, but 1 screw refuses to come out.....so i consider it trash that i am storing lol.

now another person elsewhere said i was hard on mods,, i dont think i am in terms of bad treatment.........now yes i am 'hard on mods' in terms of actually using them. this same person thinks my mods should last as long as his,, years etc......that would be wonderful,, and i too would expect that if i vaped 5 mls a day like he does.,, but i vape 30mls+ a day. (my 30 miles a day vs his 5 miles a day mine is getting used 6 x's more)

so that is 6 x's a day more clicking the switches,, demanding the little chip to do its job and whatever else i cant think of at this moment.

so when you ask how long does a mod live,, consider the ml's per day the other person uses their mod.

pico B is nearing a year old. = nearing 6 years lifespan for that other person.

i have 3 more brand new and complete pico's waiting to be used,, i am just sticking with pico B to see how long it does last.

Last edited:

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
well let me put my d2 and 3li in perspective. they were my only mods for about 14 months and I vape 10-30mls a day depending. They have been dropped more times then anyone could count, on hard floors, concrete,asphalt you name it. Usually between 2-4 foot drops. They get used doing everything from typing this stuff to yard work to what have you. Then I got another mod that died in 3 months now I have 4 other mods. I use all 6 mods all day every day and vape over 10mls a day up to 30
I am hard as hell on my mods. The D2 was dropped in the dish water and after it dried it works like new.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
well let me put my d2 and 3li in perspective. they were my only mods for about 14 months and I vape 10-30mls a day depending. They have been dropped more times then anyone could count, on hard floors, concrete,asphalt you name it. Usually between 2-4 foot drops. They get used doing everything from typing this stuff to yard work to what have you. Then I got another mod that died in 3 months now I have 4 other mods. I use all 6 mods all day every day and vape over 10mls a day up to 30
I am hard as hell on my mods. The D2 was dropped in the dish water and after it dried it works like new.
I'm terrible on mods....
I've wanted a mod that would stay looking new since I started vaping.
4 years later and I finally have 2 mods that look unscathed..... For now.
I've rolled over one my provape mods with my truck, 4 times... It still works.
My hexohm was dropped from a second story catwalk onto a cement parking lot .... It still works.
My others have undergone the typical burden of being mine. Run over by me in my chair, dropped off the deck flying across the porch onto the walkway, jumping for their dear life off the countertop onto the tile floor.
So far everything I've owned has survived with the exception of one of my sx mods and an innokin mod.
My hcigars, vaporshark, hexohm mechmods, lost vape, smy, and p4u mods have all survived to stay and fight another day.

BAM crew

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I know @f1r3b1rd uses some nicer stuff. The hexohm is a damn nice mod and built like a tank, well at least the 2.1 he has. I have no clue on the new V3 hexohms but I think the V2.1 is better in the long run since its been around longer and proven to last, while the V3 may last as long we dont know yet. Also both could technically be repaired. the board in the V2.1 is just an okl board. The V3 I have no clue but even if you need a new board you can get an okl board or a pwm board for it easily IF craving vapor is not around to repair it for you under warranty or you do something not covered under warranty.
The hexohms could last you decades or longer but expect to have to get something like the pot or button replaced eventually 3 years 5 years 10 years who knows.

But if you are not familar with them they are a bit different then a regular regulated mod, but are an excellent long term mod, but at $180ish the should be

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
^ take it easy coccodile dundee

That guy should work as a mod stress tester. Free mods, and see if they break haha
Lol... Would be a good fit for me.

Over the weekend I went shopping with the wife type person. Every 5 minutes you could hear 'thud.'
"Good thing you brought the old one'

BAM crew

cloudblast

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Get a battlestar and put a silicone case/sleeve on it. Durable as hell, paint stays mint or get stainless finish. No paint no problems

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
How long have the Battlestars been out?

Edit:
8 months since the reviewers got theirs...
So they will at least that long?

cloudblast

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Long enough to be considered one of the best by alot of youtube reviewers. I dont make vids. Too busy actually vaping my gear for that. But in all seriousness, its amazing and well priced. All metal, baked paint jobs. And no breakable battery door. Even better is how they put the electronics and battery sled inside. It is build exceptionally well and i would buy it even if it was 150 dollars. Its one of those "its cheap and it works. Very well" lets call it the ak-47 of mods. No frills serious mod

cloudblast

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unleas you want to be a weenie and buy a smok alien like every other weenie and be a weenie:deadhorse:

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
after my kooper plus crapped out in 3 months I avoid Smok myself

cloudblast

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Good man. If you buy smok anything buy a smok garbage bag. To throw out other peoples smok mods and tanks. And then buy a smok envelope. To mail a strongly worded letter to smok that they are crap. And then crap in the envelope.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I would not buy Smok anything.
Amen to that!!!!
That brand is on my never buy list.

I also take anything any reviewer says with a grain of salt unless its numbers.
Then again, I make it a point to not listen to anyone other than a handful people i trust, who share my vape style.

BAM crew

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Amen to that!!!!
That brand is on my never buy list.

I also take anything any reviewer says with a grain of salt unless its numbers.
Then again, I make it a point to not listen to anyone other than a handful people i trust, who share my vape style.

BAM crew
So you only trust people who share your vape style?

jk

cloudblast

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well then your vape style should be insane clouds with a nicotine buzz that could tranquilize an elephant

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
So you only trust people who share your vape style?

jk
LMAO... You know what I mean....

I trust their opinion more, Because they vape like I do.
If they say 'to much airflow' odds are I'll agree with their assessment.

BAM crew

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Well then your vape style should be insane clouds with a nicotine buzz that could tranquilize an elephant
That's exactly what im referring to..
If that's your thing, than odds are pretty good that you won't like most of my recommendations on attys.
Not a bad thing, the multiple styles is the biggest reason vaping is such a success with smoke cessation.

BAM crew

kross8

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm terrible on mods....
I've wanted a mod that would stay looking new since I started vaping.
4 years later and I finally have 2 mods that look unscathed..... For now.
I've rolled over one my provape mods with my truck, 4 times... It still works.
My hexohm was dropped from a second story catwalk onto a cement parking lot .... It still works.
My others have undergone the typical burden of being mine. Run over by me in my chair, dropped off the deck flying across the porch onto the walkway, jumping for their dear life off the countertop onto the tile floor.
So far everything I've owned has survived with the exception of one of my sx mods and an innokin mod.
My hcigars, vaporshark, hexohm mechmods, lost vape, smy, and p4u mods have all survived to stay and fight another day.

BAM crew
roflmao! if there was such a thing as 'vape gear insurance',, you may want to buy some. :)

my mods have held up very well in the 'looks department' without a sleeve (cuz i have never bought a sleeve........i probably should)

my vape history is roughly 1.5 years,, so i am still a 'noobie/newbie'.........i never intended to quit smoking,, tried vaping on a lark,, and that lark stuck,, i am glad for that.

my pico squeeze has gotten me closer to mechmods,, but not all the way yet. i have 2 mech's never used.....today i was reviewing battery safety again as i think about using the mechs soon.

25-35 Ω @ 26-29watts.
all ejuice/eliquid is diy.
make all of my own coils w/rayon
i am freaking happy :)

cloudblast

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
For me its not a cessation. I literally found a way to enjoy nicotine sans cancer and as much as i damn well feel like it for 15% of the cost. If tobacco companies had a ballsack, it must have taken some swift kicks over the years. Each one being harder

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
For me its not a cessation. I literally found a way to enjoy nicotine sans cancer and as much as i damn well feel like it for 15% of the cost. If tobacco companies had a ballsack, it must have taken some swift kicks over the years. Each one being harder
Hence the FDA trying to be twatwaffles

BAM crew

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It IS a cessation -- of the dangerous, lethal, smelly thing called SMOKING. Vaping is similar enough to be a great substitute and replacement, but it's not smoking, so yes, some cessation has taken place. 2 wks from today, it will be three years since I've had any of those dangerous, lethal, smelly things. :)

Andria

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Personally I think it's a complete crapshoot most of the time. My first real mod (coming from ego pens) was the istick tc100w. Lasted just over 3mo and the firing button broke internally. Some genius thought it would be a good idea to mount the smaller switch control board to the main board with just 4 solder points and all on the same side. If they'd glued it or something it would probably have been fine. Instead it wiggled until the solder points broke. Bought another istick tc100w just because I liked the shape and firing bar. Paint wore off but still works. Doesn't get used as much. My alien's going on 5mo problem free.

My mom's first wismec presa tc75w died just after the 3mo warranty period. The screen started going out, then went screwy and had the display cut in half and displayed backwards like it'd been sliced down the middle and the left and right side reversed. The screen finally went out completely. She bought another because she likes the size/shape of it.

Going with the alien doesn't make someone a weenie. At the time the predator didn't exist, the kaos didn't exist, the ikonn didn't exist etc. The ipv5 and 6x were around but they were having a few issues and they lacked the firing bar. After the b.s. with sigelei and djlsbvapes I wasn't going to bother with a sig155 or fuck-eye. I love the capability of the fsk chip, the slices have had their niggles and the g2 - well some lazy fuck in the design dept literally made it a box. If I wanted to hold a giant duplo brick I'd buy one from toys r us. Some people don't mind it, personally I think it's ugly as sin and regardless how it performs I still have to hold the damn thing. People may think I'm crazy but go ahead and ask the ladies how many dream of being fucked by a square dick. Jus' sayin' lmao, it's not comfy.

Been a lot of alien hate lately, not sure why. It's not my first recommendation to people but I like it and it works for me. Usually though it's some twat complaining about aliens while they're sitting there twitching and jerking off their fidget spinner atty on their 90's ricer led light up mod with underglow :p

cloudblast

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
IF i had to -god forbid- pick a smok mod

it would be the g priv strictly for home use. Honestly its nice.... or so i try to convince myself

VU Sponsors