Become a Patron!

How to build A Unregulated Wood Mod (Image Heavy)

I am Curious ? Do you think this is something you would ever make?

• Total voters

Sonar505

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Modder
Although there are probably quite a few people who have seen this before (And are sick of it.:) ) I would like to think that there are still quite a few who have not and will enjoy or benefit from it. As a added benefit the images are now hosted on Imgur vs Photobucket on which the images disappear 10 days into the month due to Bandwidth limitations.( It resets back on the 10th of every month) Well anyway here it is.

A Couple of years ago I made this hopefully easy to follow Tutorial to help out anyone who likes the look of wood mods but for whatever reason chooses not to buy one. This was made in an apartment with hand tools, so you don't need a fancy workshop or special tools to make it. If you can think of a easier way to do something or want to substitute a part you already have please go right ahead. Also I tried to make this as comprehensive as possible , but if you have any questions or comments please feel free to Post.

P.S. I will also be posting a followup Tutorial for a VV Dual 18650 wood mod which will hopefully reference back to this one for the basic build.

Here is what is getting built.

mnBU6gm.jpg

fJAHZD3.jpg

aykOuW9.jpg

0LGxFln.jpg

It works great,feels very good in hand, and is surprisingly lighter in weight than you might think.

Here is the part list of what is needed to build it you may already have these items if not I will tell you where I obtained them. If you are anything like me once you build your first mod you want to keep on modding everything. So I recommend that you get a few of these parts so that when mod fever comes over you. Everything you need is right there.

jOlvEv4.jpg

Some of the parts listed may seem a bit dated to some of you so feel free to substitute for more modern copys.

Madvapes -

510 sealed battery connector - $1.49 Either silver or brass. They can be a pain to solder so Madvapes offers prewired ones for $2.99 its up to you.

Horn Switch - $.89 they come in many colors and have been very sturdy for me with a nice clicky feel when pushed
$2.99 New chrome switch picked up a couple so far like the way they look but no clicky when pushed

LED - $.49 to $1.59 Come in 3mm or 5mm with many colors to choose from pick the one you like (they come with resistor needed added to package so no need to buy separately)

If you don't already have batteries and a charger you might want to pick some up. The way this mod is built you can use 16340 or 18350 or any battery that will fit a 19mm x 38mm (Spring fully depressed) holder. You can pick IMR or protected your choice I recommend at least 2 (1 charging while other being used)

If you have never been to this site look around some they have a lot of great stuff especially for DIY

Vapoligy -

http://www.vapoligy.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=27

Battery spring plates .99 a pair I found these and like how sturdy & easy to work with these are. But you can use any type of connectors or holders you want. Just adjust the sizes accordingly.

(3) 6 inch red wires and (3) 6 inch black wires - solid or stranded 20 to 22 gauge

So far these have been optional if built the same way the door stays on by friction and have not needed to add magnets so far YMMV.

Small rare earth magnets - A few months ago I went on amazon and bought (50) 1/8 x 1/16 magnets but can't remember where I bought them at but I believe radio shack carries 1/4" ones which should work you need at least 4

Home depot

Hobby board red oak $1.49 for a 1 1/2" x 1/4" x 2 foot I love the grain on these. They also come in other widths and lengths if you decide to make more mods. To make the complete mod all you need is one piece. And as you can see they come in Poplar and alder also.

UCkOy91.jpg

3/4" wood screen $2.29 for 8 foot length. If you already have a piece of wood 3/4" wide use that. If not get this and cut it in half in the store for easier carrying. Once again this exact wood screen is not required any 3/4" wide piece of wood can be substituted.

LiIv0WY.jpg

Tools needed
Hopefully you have most of these already which will save you money. If not most can be picked up at Home depot or Walmart.

9UEl2Ah.jpg

Drill and various bits
Soldering Iron
Solder and flux or solder embedded with flux
Hand Saw
Miter Box
Some type of Clamp I picked up mine at Big Lots Years ago and can't remember how much. Home Depot sells them for aroung $10 bucks. or you can use tape or string or whatever clamp parts together until glue dries
Some type of Wood Glue make sure its stain-able (Liquid Nails from Home depot has been working for me)
Super Glue
Hot glue gun
Wire strippers
Various grits of sandpaper
Sanding block
Small can of Wood Stain Pick the color you like best at Home depot near the paint section. I use MinWax brand with success
Small can of fast drying polyurethane same as above
(Both can be found at walmart also.)

Alright now that is out of the way lets get to it shall we.

First off using miter box cut red oak hobby board you need

(4) 2 1/2" pieces look at them find some interesting patterns and mark those for your front and back other 2 left and right
(2) 2" pieces again mark them top and bottom
(1) 1 3/4" piece marked as angle panel

from screen wood you need
(1) 2" piece
(1) 3/4" piece

FhkT06t.jpg

Helpful Tips - Always use the same tool for all your measurements
Measure,mark and cut. Do not mark all your cuts at the beginning and then try and cut them 1 after another some pieces will be longer than the others.
Run sandpaper lightly over cut edges to remove excess before you measure.
always cut on same place of the mark whether you go left/right or directly on the mark.

If you have access to power tools like a table saw or sanders use them it will make this much easier.

Now on to assembly.

WAwsgre.jpg

IIaRxRL.jpg

4WvLeCS.jpg

GIHzzvV.jpg

ahZ8bIt.jpg

pxFNd6y.jpg

kBuh124.jpg

6HJvnfp.jpg

W4LFdDX.jpg

Rv0058E.jpg

Last edited:

Sonar505

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Modder
Hq63T7i.jpg

y0Q7rNm.jpg

8kuY8cW.jpg

fnggCGR.jpg

Ctn1Sd2.jpg

kzXtR7W.jpg

3TyRT7b.jpg

PBUoOFr.jpg

g1at6me.jpg

qhJKDRR.jpg

NQl93Oz.jpg

C3KSQlv.jpg

fusdYZD.jpg

ottkinT.jpg

wzbqdiI.jpg

MA6vagV.jpg

eax4exN.jpg

I hope you enjoyed my tutorial.

Do me a favor if anyone makes one please post a picture for me I would love to see it. I would also appreciate any and all comments and or critiques.

Or if anyone feels I gave out any unsafe advice please let me know.

Its a pretty great feeling when someone asks you where you bought your mod and you are able to tell them No I made it.

Thank you for Viewing.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I like it I myself would use solid piece of wood shape it then route it out and get another piece so I could make back plate but nice tutorial..

I am getting ready to make an all Carbon fiber box mod I have all the pieces the problem is carbon fiber is a pain in the ass :)

Sonar505

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Modder
I like it I myself would use solid piece of wood shape it then route it out and get another piece so I could make back plate but nice tutorial..

I am getting ready to make an all Carbon fiber box mod I have all the pieces the problem is carbon fiber is a pain in the ass :)

Thank you. While I can understand why you would prefer to use a solid piece of wood. This was presented for the person who did not have access to a router. I made it to show what can be accomplished with minimal cuts and tools. Something that could be knocked out over a lazy weekend. But still come out in my opionion looking nice.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thank you. While I can understand why you would prefer to use a solid piece of wood. This was presented for the person who did not have access to a router. I made it to show what can be accomplished with minimal cuts and tools. Something that could be knocked out over a lazy weekend. But still come out in my opionion looking nice.
Ohh yeah man I was not criticizing just saying what I would do I like to use exotic woods myself but I am a guitar player and build guitars a few a year and sell them I am a wood freak hahaha.. I love wood mods I think that the beauty of wood can really make something so so look great ;)

Sonar505

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Modder
Ohh yeah man I was not criticizing just saying what I would do I like to use exotic woods myself but I am a guitar player and build guitars a few a year and sell them I am a wood freak hahaha.. I love wood mods I think that the beauty of wood can really make something so so look great ;)

Hey its all good I understand what you meant. Very glad you posted as it allowed me to explain what I was thinking about when I built it this way. If you get a chance please start a thread with pictures of some of the guitars you have made would love to see them.

Sonar I've bought wood and am super excited to build. I love the looks of your box and the simplicity of the wiring. I am super new at vaping (about 3 weeks ) and don't know much about these batteries. To give some background right now I can charge a 1300mah Tesla spider every other day and it never goes dead. So could I vape all day at this rate with your mod and charge at night? If not how much battery do I need? We have flashlights at work that take 18650. Could I make the box a little taller and use them? I'd like to figure this out before cut my wood or order electric parts. Although I guessed the same battery plates and everything would be the same but the hight of the box

Sonar505

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Modder
Sonar I've bought wood and am super excited to build. I love the looks of your box and the simplicity of the wiring. I am super new at vaping (about 3 weeks ) and don't know much about these batteries. To give some background right now I can charge a 1300mah Tesla spider every other day and it never goes dead. So could I vape all day at this rate with your mod and charge at night? If not how much battery do I need? We have flashlights at work that take 18650. Could I make the box a little taller and use them? I'd like to figure this out before cut my wood or order electric parts. Although I guessed the same battery plates and everything would be the same but the hight of the box

You are correct everything else is the same except the height of the left,right,front and back panels and the height of the L shaped piece. This one is made for a 18350 battery which typically are around 700 to 800mah . For a 18500 which are around 1000 to 1100mah I would recommend increasing the height by about 1/2 inch. For 18650 increase the height by 1 1/4 inch to be safe. The duration of the battery is dependent upon how often you take a vape and the resistance of the coil used so can not say for sure how long they would last for you. I typically carry at least 3-4 mods with me and constantly switch between them all day so it's kind of skewed for me on how long they last. But one thing you might possible do is just carry an extra battery and switch it out when the vape seems to be less. If you have any other questions please feel free. Thank you for viewing and look forward to seeing your new mod.

Sounds good. They make batteries in those sizes that have the protection where they just die all at once like lithium power tool batteries right? I don't want batteries I have to worry about ruining. What about atomizer? This mod should run a rsst no problem right?

Sonar505

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Modder
Sounds good. They make batteries in those sizes that have the protection where they just die all at once like lithium power tool batteries right? I don't want batteries I have to worry about ruining. What about atomizer? This mod should run a rsst no problem right?

Yes they have protected and unprotected batteries in all 3 sizes . Yes a rsst will fit on this but when using a genesis type atomizer you can build your coil with very low resistance. so I recommend you do a little research on the amp limits of the batteries and switch you decide to use if you go sub ohm. If your keep it around 1 ohm or above you should not have any problems with any of your choices. Yes the protected tend to shut down when the battery voltage drops to a low level. Where as the IMR type batteries can keep going down. You should very quickly learn to tell when they have started to lose power with the quality of vape you are getting. Then you can either change them out with a fresh one on a set schedule or when you feel that your vape quality has deteriorated. This can be done with both types.

The way this mod is built you can use 16340 or 18350 or any battery that will fit a 19mm x 38mm (Spring fully depressed) holder. You can pick IMR or protected

The measurements you provided are for IMR right? Would protected of the same size not be slightly larger?

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
And once again, that is a great tutorial!

Aquaman

Member For 4 Years
I'd say it an Excellent tutorial! In addition to routed out box, I would like to try a band saw box style.
Some time in the future.

VU Sponsors