Become a Patron!

How to charge high amp batterys

hogboy261

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Is charging a 35 or 40 amp battery on 1 amp bad for the battery?

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Depends on the battery - most high drain batteries also can be charged fairly quickly and 1A won't hurt them. 2A will decrease the battery cycle life in many cases though if you have 2A capability in your charger.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
One amp is fine.

Don't know if this is true but someone told me that you can charge from time to time at 2 amps if you are in a hurry but to charge the next time at 0.50 amps to make up for the abuse.

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
One amp is fine.

Don't know if this is true but someone told me that you can charge from time to time at 2 amps if you are in a hurry but to charge the next time at 0.50 amps to make up for the abuse.

It doesn't make up for the abuse charging less the next time, but at the same time for example a Samsung 25R if you charge it at 2A a few times it won't affect the life in any significant way. On the other hand if you charge it at 2A every time it will affect it.

Slurp812

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Most of the batteries we speak of here, used for vaping can be safely charged at 1 amp. It is really up to the manufacturer of the batteries. No doubt some resellers inflate these specs also...

NemesisVaper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've yet to see a manufacturer of a recent high drain battery spec below about 4A for charging.

Over discharge, over charge and temperature are the big battery killers, not charge current as long as it's in spec. Manufacturer cycle count is quoted assuming the use if the "typical charge current" figure outlined in the databsheet for that cell.

Cells are cheap, time is priceless. If you need your batteries asap then select the highest current you're able to do within spec. If you can wait, go with 500mA. That's what I do.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
1 amp is fine and fast, .5amps prolongs the overall life of the battery, but it takes longer to charge.

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I've yet to see a manufacturer of a recent high drain battery spec below about 4A for charging.

Over discharge, over charge and temperature are the big battery killers, not charge current as long as it's in spec. Manufacturer cycle count is quoted assuming the use if the "typical charge current" figure outlined in the databsheet for that cell.

Cells are cheap, time is priceless. If you need your batteries asap then select the highest current you're able to do within spec. If you can wait, go with 500mA. That's what I do.

There are generally two ratings, for example Samsung's rating for the 25R is:
1.25A normal charge
4A fast charge

The reason they specify a fast charge separately is because while the batteries can do the fast charge you do prolong the life of the battery by following the normal charge.

What you're saying is right though, charge slower if you don't need them right away but if you need them fast it's not a big deal as long as you are within the maximum charge rating, which for this particular battery and many of its competitors would be 2-4A

VU Sponsors