Become a Patron!

How to do a proper Ni200 build for temperature control with the DNA40

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
After reading for the nth time that building a nickel coil is difficult, that Ni200 is too soft, that temperature control is finicky, that it requires a huge learning curve, etc etc, I decided to make a video to show how it's done right.

Here it is: I haven't edited anything. This is the entire building process in real-time, so there's no cheating or hiding tricky bits:

As you can see, there really isn't much to working with nickel, and temperature control doesn't really require anything special to work well.

Last edited:

JXN

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just see a black box on both. It may be No Script on my end

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ah yes, you need to enable dailymotion.com, dmcdn.net and weirdly enough, ajax.googleapi.com also.

Cloudboss

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
How does the dna chip read temperature? does it have some kind of "pulse with modulation" ??

Panther1911

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
How does the dna chip read temperature? does it have some kind of "pulse with modulation" ??

from what i understand ni200 nickle wire changes resistance with temperature, so when building a coil with ni200 it has a very accurate ohm reader that senses the change in resistance

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
As stated above, nickel wire has different resistance at different temperatures, and the resistance vs heat changes are almost identical every time with every wire and every coil. The DNA40 then reads the ohms constantly when firing and when you reach your set temperature, it dials back.

So in fact it's not limiting temperature, it's limiting ohms.

Cloudboss

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
thats very interesting, might have to order a dna chip and build a box mod

driver379

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
After reading for the nth time that building a nickel coil is difficult, that Ni200 is too soft, that temperature control is finicky, that it requires a huge learning curve, etc etc, I decided to make a video to show how it's done right.

Here it is: I haven't edited anything. This is the entire building process in real-time, so there's no cheating or hiding tricky bits:

As you can see, there really isn't much to working with nickel, and temperature control doesn't really require anything special to work well.
Great video. I'm gonna try twisting the leads like that.

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I'm not experienced with Ni200 yet, nor with RBAs in general. But one thing I am curious about, and will eventually answer for myself if you don't, is that Kanthal coils glow orange, yet I do not see Ni200 coils glow orange. Have you noticed this?

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They'll glow if you disable temperature control and remove the wick :) I do that every now and then when I dry-burn my nickel coils - exactly like with kanthal.

Hoekakes

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm not experienced with Ni200 yet, nor with RBAs in general. But one thing I am curious about, and will eventually answer for myself if you don't, is that Kanthal coils glow orange, yet I do not see Ni200 coils glow orange. Have you noticed this?
they just dont get hot enough to glow under temp control

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Here it is: I haven't edited anything. This is the entire building process in real-time, so there's no cheating or hiding tricky bits.

Very nice work Giraut. Thanks for posting the video :)

Analias

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hey @Giraut, nifty video! I like your coil building gig and your twisting gig. How'd you make them?

VU Sponsors