How to start a fire without matches!

EthelMaltol

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Saw a vid on youtube, a wilderness survival thing by king of random. You take a bit of potperm (purifies water) and put some vg on top. It makes a chemical reaction that will start a campfire for you! :)

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Saw a vid on youtube, a wilderness survival thing by king of random. You take a bit of potperm (purifies water) and put some vg on top. It makes a chemical reaction that will start a campfire for you! :)

Link please?

EthelMaltol

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That's not it, I'm on my tablet, hard to do links, search householdhacker

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It must be the glycerin that causes the heat for a reaction. Glycerin is funny stuff. I've had medication with glycerin in and it's played havoc with my eyes making me see flashes and sparkles. I reckon it's something to do with glycerin anyway.

EthelMaltol

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yep, that's it, they called it potperm in the vid, sounds like something useful to have around to purify water. I think the vid is called starting a "matchless" fire. Not trying to say the vg is flamable by itself, its the combination.

jack

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Saw that in some survival show !! Very impressive .

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
glycol is a sugar alcohol. It has a flash point of around 160-180 depending on the conditions, and when it is introduced to its complex chain transition, the temperature can change rapidly. I tried making Kaluha once, without fully understanding chemical changes....made for a long few weeks of grounding when the parents came home and found the cabinets char broiled....hehehehhe. And potasium perm. is also known as potash. It is a very unstable oxidizer. So add that to a compound that is undergoing rapid changes where oxygen is being fed to a chemical combustion the two of them are like a mini stick of diiiinomiiiiiiiite.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
glycol is a sugar alcohol. It has a flash point of around 160-180 depending on the conditions, and when it is introduced to its complex chain transition, the temperature can change rapidly. I tried making Kaluha once, without fully understanding chemical changes....made for a long few weeks of grounding when the parents came home and found the cabinets char broiled....hehehehhe. And potasium perm. is also known as potash. It is a very unstable oxidizer. So add that to a compound that is undergoing rapid changes where oxygen is being fed to a chemical combustion the two of them are like a mini stick of diiiinomiiiiiiiite.

Or, Nitroglycerin?
smilie_bombe.gif

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
boooooooom goes the campfire.

VU Sponsors