Become a Patron!

i have no idea what i'm doing

(if this is the wrong place for this post, please feel free to move it to where it should be)

To start, let me say that i know very little about vaping in general. i couldn't tell you the difference between box mod, and sub ohm. Hell, i only just heard the term sub-ohm today.

Here is where i'm at so far. i've been a pack-a-day smoker for 20 years. i love my nicotine fix, but i'm not too fond of cigarettes. i started vaping with a Blu e-cig, then went back to cigarettes. i then tried a vape pen (don't remember the brand), but ended up back with cigarettes. i now have an ELeaf iStick, with an Aspire Mini Nautilus tank. i run the iStick at 2.0 Ohm, 5.4 volts, 15.1 watts, because it won't let me turn it up any higher than that. i use mainly 24mg juice (is it juice, or is it eLiquid? Calling it "juice" makes me think of frat boys for some reason), although one of my bottles says it's 18mg. i sometimes mix it in with my normal liquid because i like the flavor.

My problem is that it's not enough. When i smoke cigarettes, i'll have one and then i'll be good for an hour, or two, depending on how busy i am. With the vape, it seems like i'm constantly taking a draw off it, and i'm still craving a cigarette. It just doesn't seem to be satisfying me like i was expecting.

i know something needs adjusting, because it's becoming more and more difficult to find 24mg liquid in the shops any more (at least in my area). i have a couple of acquaintances who have completely quit smoking, in favor of their vapes, but they start talking about this mod, and that mod, and they've lost me.

My wife likes the setup i have, if she turns it down to 2Ohm/4.1v/8.5w. i'm looking to get myself a new setup, so she can use the one i have now.

i know i'm not interested in drip mods like one of the aforementioned acquaintances uses, because i'd rather not have to carry liquid around with me, much less have to constantly be dripping more in. i couldn't care less about the size of my cloud, other than massive is out of the question. i drive a big-ass black 1988 Cadillac, and i don't want to look like i'm hotboxing it. That's just asking to get pulled over. i do know that i don't like a harsh hit. i've smoked for 20 years, and never felt like i was going to cough up a lung until i tried vaping. Lastly, i want to enjoy my nicotine. i like smoking. i'd like vaping more if it was as satisfying as a Pall Mall Red 100.

The guy at the vape shop said he doesn't have anything that goes as low as mine (15w), and suggested a 30w setup to me. Then he mentioned using his at 50w. Then he started talking about his coil, and he might as well have been talking sportsball stats for all i was understanding.

So, to sum up...does anybody have any recommendations for a complete idiot like myself? Not harsh in my throat/lungs, decent nicotine, not hotboxing my car?

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Hi and welcome. :wave:

Juice, liquid, eliquid, whatever you wanna call it is fine. Ohms are what your coil resistance is, so you might benefit from getting a tank that will have something like a 0.5 ohm coil available, in a mod that will take you over your 15watts You don't have to do lung hits with those, plenty of people still use a subohm coils for MTL (mouth to lung) vaping, like a draw from a cigarette. With those, though, sometimes it's necessary to reduce the strength of the nic, though you don't have to, it just might be a bit harsh to you. I think you might find a more satisfying vape this way.

Do you like a boxier type hold? My fave is my eVic VTC Mini. It's smaller than a pack of cigarettes, SUPER easy to use, and goes up to 75watts. I don't take it ANYWHERE near that high. Many like the eLeaf Pico mod, even shorter than the one I have, nifty little thing, too. It also goes up to 75 watts.

Plenty of suggestions out there, lots of really good ones available.

A tank that suits your needs will be a tougher choice, IMO. Do you want one with replaceable coils, or do you think you might enjoy building your own coils? I've used both, but I hate buying coils to use up, then toss out, so I buy rebuildable tanks. I can build coils to suit my own needs, it's really simple for my style of vaping. I vape above 1 ohm coils (just a simple single coil), low wattage, MTL. I like an airy draw, not the tighter draw. Flavor is what I want and I definitely get it.

You're definitely on the hunt at a really good time. There is so much on the market right now.

RatRacer

a touch oɟɟ
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Welcome to VU
I can relate about the not feeling satisfied. I vaped 36 & 48mg when I started, to kill those cravings, but the gear was a bit less refined back then. I wanted to quit though, so I powered thru it to get down to a more realistic 24mg, back then.
Before dumping a lot of cash on a new rig, I would get a pack each of 1.8 and 1.6 ohm coils for your nautilus, so you can up your watts and see if that will get you going in improving satifaction.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
ok ill try and help
you rjuice/eliquid is what determines if its enough,if the throat hit is harsh etc etc

the higher the nic the more harsh teh throat hit is
also jucie is made of PG and VG pg adds a harsher throat hit as well

so to just reduce the throat hit issue you can try and get your juice with more vg in it then what you are using.
your bottl eshould say something like 50/50 or 70/30

however the more vg you use the more clouds as well

but that wont be amajor issue

now this wanting more thing is 2 fold

1.its mental
2. its the effectiveness of your coil

a more effective coil might be the actual aspire 1.6ohm coils

but you are in luck
there are tons of prebuilt coils that fit that tank so you can try different things

bad news
you mod wont power them well

so you probably need a more powerful mod
you will wantto be able to go up to 30 watts at least to give you head rom for these coils that are above 1.0
but i do believe there are many subohm coil options for your tank
which means wanting 50 watts or more

now joy oh joy
there are a ton of mods out there that go up to about 70ish watts
which is more then enough power for you NOW and gives you room to eperiment later
and joy o joy these mods arre often the same price or much cheaper then less poerful mods

you should be able to find something in the $40ish range

but you will have limited choices if you are trying to get a mod that has a built in battery
they just arent in vogue for thing sthat give higher power
most mods take a 18650 battery or 2

you will be very happy with a what we call single 18650 mod -one that holds one battery

but that means buying 2 batteries which should cost about $7ish on avg
and a charger which can range form $10-30

you get 2 batteries so you can vape on one and charge the other

i would recommend this mod
called an ipv d3
you can get it here cheap
http://www.ecig.com/pioneer4you-ipv-d3-2367.html

you can even grab a 5 pack of the mini 1.6 coil there
and iSOMEONE DOUBLE CHECK ME on this...but the have the standard 1.0 ohm atlantis coils as well which i believe iwll fit your tank and might be nice for you as well but thos you nee dto run higher lke 18-25watts the 1.6 start at 15 like your used to and rais eit alittle at a time to see if itgets better or worse

then jump over to
liionwholesale.com - grab 2 samsung 25rs or 2 lg hg2 batteries and a charger

that would be my recommendation to make the vape more fulfilling

RatRacer

a touch oɟɟ
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The nautilus mini's are smaller than the Atlantis coils. I think Triton mini's will work though.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
but the have the standard 1.0 ohm atlantis coils as well which i believe iwll fit your tank
Aren't those too big for a nautilus? I'm asking, I don't know for certain. Seems to me the Triton Mini Clapton coils fit the Nautilus. Kind of forgot about those, and I hear a lot of people really like those. Might even up the game with those coils, as well.

bpol201

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Sigelei mod with crown tank .5 ohm coil at 35 watts with 12mg nicotine worked for me like a charm

Here's another (sure to be stupid) question... How often am i supposed to be changing my coil? i think this tank came with two, and i've changed it once. The cringe-worthy part is that i bought this a year ago. Nothing tastes burnt, and i'm still getting the same draw as before, as far as i can tell...

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Oh hell, change that coil buddy! You might decide you're happy again! Seriously, give it a try. Juice it up, let it sit a couple minutes. You'll be surprised. Proabably a good idea to do that roughly every 2 weeks.

RatRacer

a touch oɟɟ
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here's another (sure to be stupid) question... How often am i supposed to be changing my coil? i think this tank came with two, and i've changed it once. The cringe-worthy part is that i bought this a year ago. Nothing tastes burnt, and i'm still getting the same draw as before, as far as i can tell...
Yup, cringe worthy for sure.:giggle:
I push mine sometimes to 4 weeks, as long as the flavor and vapor production are still seeming worthwhile. But, popping in a fresh one is still enlightening on how weak "worthwhile" really was.
I don't know what it is about vaper's, but being stingy on pushing a $3 coil for a month is more wacked than the $6-$12 pack a day habit we bailed on.:crazy:
On the cloud thing, remember that's where the nicotine molecules reside, so not-so-big clouds means not-so-much delivery. Vapor molecules are larger than combusted molecules, so take longer for the body to absorb before the exhale, so the offsets are higher nic level, bigger clouds or more frequent hits.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
popping in a fresh one is still enlightening on how weak "worthwhile" really was.
Oh man, that is soooo true! I remember being in a shop a couple years ago, shortly after Protank 2's were out and this young dude walks in saying he wasn't getting much from his tank. Dude asks how long it had been since he changed the coil? Young dude looks at bearded guy, all confuzzled... Beard proceeds to swap out the coil for him. Young dude and his entourage of younger dudes kinda shoot the shit, waiting for the juice to soak up... I finally told the kid, go ahead and hit it, see what a new coil will do for ya. Young dude looked like he had a big O, LMAO!

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I can't really advise you on the hardware; I've been away from the just-starting setups for so long... but just wanted to say hello, welcome to VU, and vaping... and don't give up. It DOES seem like total gobbledegook at first, how the hell am I supposed to learn all this shit, I just wanna vape... I remember that feeling very well. But hang around here... ask all the questions you like... the only dumb question is the one you don't ask! Just hang in there, because it gets better, it gets easier, and it really is possible.... So many of us thought we'd NEVER EVER quit smoking, then along came vaping... and... SURPRISE! :)

And it's not really necessary to give up smoking all at once, just BANG... a great many of us switched over quite gradually, because the more you vape, the better you like it, and the worse the cigarettes start to taste. Just take your time; you'll get there, if you really want to.

Andria

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
(if this is the wrong place for this post, please feel free to move it to where it should be)

To start, let me say that i know very little about vaping in general. i couldn't tell you the difference between box mod, and sub ohm. Hell, i only just heard the term sub-ohm today.

Here is where i'm at so far. i've been a pack-a-day smoker for 20 years. i love my nicotine fix, but i'm not too fond of cigarettes. i started vaping with a Blu e-cig, then went back to cigarettes. i then tried a vape pen (don't remember the brand), but ended up back with cigarettes. i now have an ELeaf iStick, with an Aspire Mini Nautilus tank. i run the iStick at 2.0 Ohm, 5.4 volts, 15.1 watts, because it won't let me turn it up any higher than that. i use mainly 24mg juice (is it juice, or is it eLiquid? Calling it "juice" makes me think of frat boys for some reason), although one of my bottles says it's 18mg. i sometimes mix it in with my normal liquid because i like the flavor.

My problem is that it's not enough. When i smoke cigarettes, i'll have one and then i'll be good for an hour, or two, depending on how busy i am. With the vape, it seems like i'm constantly taking a draw off it, and i'm still craving a cigarette. It just doesn't seem to be satisfying me like i was expecting.

i know something needs adjusting, because it's becoming more and more difficult to find 24mg liquid in the shops any more (at least in my area). i have a couple of acquaintances who have completely quit smoking, in favor of their vapes, but they start talking about this mod, and that mod, and they've lost me.

My wife likes the setup i have, if she turns it down to 2Ohm/4.1v/8.5w. i'm looking to get myself a new setup, so she can use the one i have now.

i know i'm not interested in drip mods like one of the aforementioned acquaintances uses, because i'd rather not have to carry liquid around with me, much less have to constantly be dripping more in. i couldn't care less about the size of my cloud, other than massive is out of the question. i drive a big-ass black 1988 Cadillac, and i don't want to look like i'm hotboxing it. That's just asking to get pulled over. i do know that i don't like a harsh hit. i've smoked for 20 years, and never felt like i was going to cough up a lung until i tried vaping. Lastly, i want to enjoy my nicotine. i like smoking. i'd like vaping more if it was as satisfying as a Pall Mall Red 100.

The guy at the vape shop said he doesn't have anything that goes as low as mine (15w), and suggested a 30w setup to me. Then he mentioned using his at 50w. Then he started talking about his coil, and he might as well have been talking sportsball stats for all i was understanding.

So, to sum up...does anybody have any recommendations for a complete idiot like myself? Not harsh in my throat/lungs, decent nicotine, not hotboxing my car?

1) Maybe stepping up to a more powerful mod (power supply), one that will reach at least 60 to 65watts (you'll need this extra power), Innokin Coolfire IV (this has an internal battery like the iStick), there is also the iStick60watt (this one requires you to buy sepperate batteries), there is also the Evic VTC Mini (needs sepperate batteries as well, this one if upgraded software/firmware can reach potentially 75watts), all of them can be charged just by the USB port on them, though suggested to get at least a 2bay external charger and at least 2 batteries for the mod (iStick60w and Evic VTC Mini), a good very inexpensive but rock solid charge would be a "Nitecore i2 or D2 2bay". While one battery is being used in the vaping device, the other is on the charger being charged. Batteries for those 2 mods I'd suggest would be a Samsung 30Q (will be lavender in color), LG HG2 (will be chocolate brown in color), or an AW IMR 3000mah 20amp (all 3 batteries are 3000mah and 20amp discharge rated), making 6000mah total to run the entire day with and plenty of oomph to run up to about 65watts or so.
2) Tanks I'd suggest a Tobecco Super Tank or Super Tank Mini, Aspire Atlantis or Triton (these both can run the same coils, not the mini version, the full size versions), UWell Crown or Crown Ver2 (one of the best tanks on the market), and as suggested above by @Huckleberried try to get coils that are as close to 0.5ohms resistance, though 0.3 and 0.4 (Triton and Triton V2 coils) can still work.
3) Next would be your juice, sub-ohm tanks the highest I would run would be a 1.2%(12mg), 1.8%(18mg) or higher you could potentially nicotine overdoes yourself quicly, PG/VG ratio you'll be looking for a 30pg/70vg up to a 20pg/80vg, more VG the better for throat hit smoothness and more vapor production. If you are having nerve racking nicotine fits, then just the nicotine is not enough, you'll need a NET (Naturally Extrated Tobacco Alkaloid) or WTA (Whole Tobacco Alkaloid) liquid which will have more than just the nicotine in them as the nicotine solution is extracted from whole tobaccos, not synthetic, or extracted from tomatoes or egg plant.
4) Once setup I'd suggest wattage starting at about 25watts, try about half hour at this level, if throat hit (punch in the back of the throat), cloud production, and cravings are nullified keep at that level, if not, bump it up to 30watts for a half hour, still not getting satisfied, bump it up to 35watts for a half hour, repeating this until you do get all cravings under control, get an almost dry hit (tastes like cotton or close to it) or harsh hit that punches your senses, back it down 5 to 10watts (average wattage spectrum you'll probably be in will be 25 watts minimum to about 55 or 60watts max. Fresh coils always start back down at the 25watts start point and gradually apply the gas up to your sweet spot max wattage you get to after thoroughly priming the coil. Change your coils or check them for dark cotton/wicking, at least about every 3days or so, after 3days inspect them daily when refilling your tank. You'll probably be changing the about every 3days (minimum) to about every week to week and a half, especially with NET and WTA liquids, the extra alkaloids are coil gunkers.

Hope your needs get better, welcome to the forums, any questions or advice don't hesitate to reply back on this thread, someone can most likely help your ;)

Okay, so reading through all of your responses (thank you, by the way), as well as reading through posts in the forums (holy hell, there's a shit ton of info), this is what i've come up with:

Boreas RTA tank
Eleaf iStick TC 100W
Sony VTC5 2600MAH 30A Battery x2

If i'm understanding all the specs for these items, it will let me start out low, and close to what i'm used to, and still allow plenty of room to play around with, and adjust until i find my preferred setup. Adjustable air/juice flow, wide range of power settings, and ample battery life. AND i can get all of that for less than $70 from eciggity...which is less than the kit the guy at my local vape store was suggesting.

Although it's quite possible that i'm completely mistaken (which wouldn't surprise me at all), in which case please feel free to correct me.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Okay, so reading through all of your responses (thank you, by the way), as well as reading through posts in the forums (holy hell, there's a shit ton of info), this is what i've come up with:

Boreas RTA tank
Eleaf iStick TC 100W

If i'm understanding all the specs for these items, it will let me start out low, and close to what i'm used to, and still allow plenty of room to play around with, and adjust until i find my preferred setup. Adjustable air/juice flow, wide range of power settings, and ample battery life. AND i can get all of that for less than $70 from eciggity...which is less than the kit the guy at my local vape store was suggesting.

Although it's quite possible that i'm completely mistaken (which wouldn't surprise me at all), in which case please feel free to correct me.
TRY TENOFF at check out, if you haven't purchased already. Not sure if it's still a good code, but worth a shot for 10% off. Good luck!!

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee

Boreas RTA tank
Eleaf iStick TC 100W

Dual battery mod, "Highly" suggested to get an external charger for the batteries. Mark the batteries as a set (example 1A/1B), these batteries can only be used together, charged together, never used seperately, or cheat on the other with another battery until death do they part. You'll want a second set later down the road as well, one set charging while the other set is in use. The iStick100watt is a nice mod, just I wouldn't trust how balanced or the quality of its charging board for full time charging duty, as I posted above a Nitecore i2 charger would suit you well, if lucky can find one for about $15USD.
Before buying the batteries I'd look at the Samsung 30Q, AW IMR 3000mah 20amp, or LG HG2, all 3 are 20amp CDR which the the mod will need to reach full 100watts, and 3000mah each, being parallel battery configuration the load is balanced between both, roughly you get 40amps CDR and 6000mah run time.

The reason i didn't look at the 20A batteries is that the description of the mod specifically stated that it needed 25A, or better. The batteries i picked are 30A, and only a couple dollars more than the 25A.

Other than that, and an external charger...what i've picked out looks like an okay setup?

Also, reddit10 as well as twisted420 both work on the eciggity site for 10% off, although you obviously can't stack them...

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
The VTC5 2600mah is a 20amp CDR battery, even check Sony's Manufacturing specs it is 20amps, some sites like to follow rank and file with what the specs of the VTC3 1600mah was rated which was 30amp Manufacturing spec, 28amp indepent tests. The VTC4 2100mah Manufacturing Spec 20amp, independent tested was 23amps, websites still list as 30amps. If going by the specs of the the mod I'd suggest then either the LG HD2 (2000mah, 25amp), LG HD2C (2200mah, 25amp), LG HD4 (2100mah, 25amp), or the newer Sony VTC5A (2500mah, 25amp). You can wiggle the older VTC5 up toward 25amps, but doing so decreases their life and damages them, still the 20amp 3000mah batteries are more than sufficient.

The iStick100watts is a parallel mod, so amp and mah load are shared by both, voltage stays the same as a single battery (Voltage X1, Mah X2, Amps X2)
100watts/3.2volts lowest battery charge before mod shutoff=31.25amps/90% Chipset efficiency=34.72222_ total amps pulled/2 batteries=17.3611111amps each battery has to support.

An extra 8amps per battery not needed, 400mah runtime per battery extra, I'd take the mah for the extra runtime between charges as the amp load is well under the 20amp battery's CDR limit.

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Sorry for the information overload, but I'm a battery and battery safety geek when it comes to vaping so stay up on tests and such

https://www.eciggity.com/samsung-30q-18650-15a-3000mah-battery/ <- Though listed as 15amp they independently tested rated out at 20amp and lead the pack in the 3000mah 20amp category
https://www.eciggity.com/lg-hg2-18650-20a-3000mah-battery/ <- These are equivalent and were the reigning champs in the 20amp 3000mah category, though independent testing showed the 30Q lasted longer voltage wise compared to the HG2

Saves you a dollar or two per battery, other sources that are authorized battery resellers/wholesalers you could look at would be (US Online), eciggity is a great vendor, but you can keep these are reference for down the road, nothing wrong with ordering batteries through the vendor you bought/buy a mod from.
illumn.com
imrbatteries.com
Liionwholesale.com
orbtronic.com
RTDVapor.com

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I do understand wanting to get it all in one place, certainly. I'm a big fan of Liionwholesale.

But to answer your question, my first choices were the yellow, brown, and the first green one.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
are you looking for a new 2 battery starter kit? want to buy in one place? try ecig.com
not sure of your budget but some suggestions

(use coupon code ecig10 for 10% off)

Cheap(44.50 less 10% = 40.05) - under 45 http://www.ecig.com/istick-pico-mega-kit.html Good starter kit, might outgrow after a while, might not

Mid Level (59.99 less 10% = 53.99)- under 60 http://www.ecig.com/smoktech-alien-220w-kit.html Smoktech 220 watt mod and TFV8 baby beast tank. you won't outgrow this one for a long time

High End (73+29 = 102 less 10% 91.80) - under 95 http://www.ecig.com/hohm-wrecker-g2.html and http://www.ecig.com/smok-tfv8-tank-kit.html this is the setup i use most days for my tank. pretty much the best on the market

Batteries and charger (22.25 total less 10% = 20.03)
Pair of LG Hg2 - http://www.ecig.com/lg-hg2-18650-20a-3000mah.html 14.50 for a pair
Charger - http://www.ecig.com/nitecore-i2-charger-2016-version.html 7.75

So total for each
Cheap 60.08 (have to pay shipping though)
Mid level 75.15 (add a cheap 1.25 dollar product to get free shipping http://www.ecig.com/delrin-drip-tip-single.html )
High End 111.83

Thank you all for your responses, and help. This forum has so much information, it's hard to not get overwhelmed with it all.

i decided to go with the Boreas, and the iStick 100w setup i mentioned above, as i've read a lot of good things about both and it seems like it'll let me start off slow, and work up. i did decide to go with the LG Hg2's per IMFire, and SirRichard's suggestions. All total, with shipping it came out to about $75, which was the top end of my budget, but it looks like i'll be getting decent stuff that will last me a while.

When it arrives, my wife will inherit my current vape, and i'll get her some new coils for it. Hopefully we'll both be happy! i'll let you all know how it goes...

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Thank you all for your responses, and help. This forum has so much information, it's hard to not get overwhelmed with it all.

i decided to go with the Boreas, and the iStick 100w setup i mentioned above, as i've read a lot of good things about both and it seems like it'll let me start off slow, and work up. i did decide to go with the LG Hg2's per IMFire, and SirRichard's suggestions. All total, with shipping it came out to about $75, which was the top end of my budget, but it looks like i'll be getting decent stuff that will last me a while.

When it arrives, my wife will inherit my current vape, and i'll get her some new coils for it. Hopefully we'll both be happy! i'll let you all know how it goes...
Glad to hear it!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
ok just to make sure
you do know the boreas is an RTA
you will have to build all your own coils and wick them
or buy premade wrapped coils and iwck them yourself?

thi sis not a buy a $3-5 replacement coil thing that is easy to use for a complete novice.
While the boreas is said to be easy to build on etc by many here, I do not own one, and while I am sure form what others here have said about how good it is

I wante dto make sure you knew you would need wire and cotton and coil making tools as well
or rely on buying premade coils till you get the hang of doing it your self

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
At least the deck is easy to build on, so it's a great learning piece, if you didn't know this beforehand.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
At least the deck is easy to build on, so it's a great learning piece, if you didn't know this beforehand.
I hope he knows that because it doesn't sound like he has wire cotton tools or anything.

gashadokuro

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
If you have the money for it, get an istick 50w or above. I have the 50 watt and use the kanger top tank with a 0.5 ohm coil and never have had to go above 28watts with it. But the battery life is much better than the subvod kit battery that the tank originally came from.

dcarpentier

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
My 002 is, as an ex-smoker (32yrs pack/day), you wanna stick with MTL (mouth-to-lung) type hits.. as opposed to DTL (Direct-to-lung).
MTL is just like smoking. If your rig is too loose, its not going to be satisfying as an MTL.. if it feels like you're drawing thru an empty straw (no resistance) then you need something tighter.DTL is for cloud chasers and flavour hounds (high wattage, lots of vape), not for those wanting to jump from smoking to vaping, imho.
DTL gear abounds, MTL gear is a little harder to find.
I like my Kanger subtank mini set to the small hole, plus I pulled off the big tip and put a narrow one on.
For mods, I use a variable wattage unit (VW) and typically vape 6mg nic in a 50/50 mix (pg to vg) of a tobacco flavour at about 18 watts.
For MTL, you need less wattage as you're not drawing as fast past the coil, and you should use a lower nic level, as vape nic is apparently absorbed more in the mouth lining than it is in the lungs. DTL users will vape higher nic for a comparable nic feel, afaik.

Keep at it though, whatever you do. Getting off the paper sticks is probably one of the best moves you ever did.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
My 002 is, as an ex-smoker (32yrs pack/day), you wanna stick with MTL (mouth-to-lung) type hits.. as opposed to DTL (Direct-to-lung).
MTL is just like smoking. If your rig is too loose, its not going to be satisfying as an MTL.. if it feels like you're drawing thru an empty straw (no resistance) then you need something tighter.DTL is for cloud chasers and flavour hounds (high wattage, lots of vape), not for those wanting to jump from smoking to vaping, imho.
DTL gear abounds, MTL gear is a little harder to find.
I like my Kanger subtank mini set to the small hole, plus I pulled off the big tip and put a narrow one on.
For mods, I use a variable wattage unit (VW) and typically vape 6mg nic in a 50/50 mix (pg to vg) of a tobacco flavour at about 18 watts.
For MTL, you need less wattage as you're not drawing as fast past the coil, and you should use a lower nic level, as vape nic is apparently absorbed more in the mouth lining than it is in the lungs. DTL users will vape higher nic for a comparable nic feel, afaik.

Keep at it though, whatever you do. Getting off the paper sticks is probably one of the best moves you ever did.
I vape a way lower nic DTL then I did when I went MTL. But to be fair I didn't quite smoking I quit chewing tobacco so I never really needed the throat hit. Mostly Pg mixes are for thorat hit. Nic level shouldn't matter.

ok just to make sure
you do know the boreas is an RTA
you will have to build all your own coils and wick them
or buy premade wrapped coils and iwck them yourself?

thi sis not a buy a $3-5 replacement coil thing that is easy to use for a complete novice.
While the boreas is said to be easy to build on etc by many here, I do not own one, and while I am sure form what others here have said about how good it is

I wante dto make sure you knew you would need wire and cotton and coil making tools as well
or rely on buying premade coils till you get the hang of doing it your self

I hope he knows that because it doesn't sound like he has wire cotton tools or anything.

Yes, i know that the Boreas is an RTA. i went with the RTA instead of an RDA because i'm not really interested in dripping. i used to watch classmates stroke each other over their drip setup, while they were constantly having to put more fluid on their wicks, while i sat there with my Nautilus tank, never needing to refill until i got home. From the posts i've read about it, and the couple of video's i watched reviewing it, it looks like it will be easy to learn with. Comfortable enough for a beginner, and sturdy enough for an experienced user. At least, i hope so. :D

i'll take the new setup with me to my friendly neighborhood vape shop after it gets here so the guy running the place can show me how to get things setup (he already offered to do so), and so i can buy my wife the replacement coils for my current kit. i'll buy a set of pre-made coils, and a pack of wicks so i can use the new kit while i learn how to wrap my own coils.

A lot of the tools i've seen used in coil making demonstrations i already have, thanks to other hobbies. Pliers, and other wire-related tools from jewelry making, and chain weaving. Small screwdrivers from my PC building/electronics tinkering days, and drill/drill bits from household handyman repair. i've got a nice voltage/ohm meter that i use for automobile electronics repair. It's not one that i can just screw the base of the Boreas into, but if i can check the resistance of your average capacitor, i think i can check the resistance of a freshly wrapped coil.

i think. i might end up burning my face off instead. Although, that'd probably be an improvement...

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
ok good to know. you seem to be getting the basic ideas pretty quickly
a few other things toconsider when making coils
1. ceramic tipped tweezers can be indispensible
they let you pich and adjust your coil while pulsing it
drill bits and screwdrivers are great for wrapping coils
but with the cost of coil jgs being under $10 many places
its nice to have something that can do multiple ID in one convenient place
finally
while you may be happy and like simple coils
when you decide you wantto try more advanced coils
look for premade spools or lengths of wire. Many places now offer pre made spools or length sof clapton wire, fused clapton wire, twisted, or braided wire. This makes it easy to just wrap wick and go.

ALl I use is clapton or braided wire and have never made the wire myself just buy spools of it. cut it to length, wrap and wick

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I just wanted to mention two things. Firstly, cigarette smoke has something in it (don't ask me, I don't remember what it is) that makes the nic last longer in your system. E-juice doesn't have this, so the nic leaves your system rapidly compared to smoking a cigarette. You'll find you want to vape more often than you smoked, and this is fine and normal.

Secondly, the Boreas (I have one) is a direct-to-lung type of tank, even closed down to the smallest airflow. I can't even imagine trying to do MTL on it. If you're still doing MTL, this tank will overwhelm you. It's a NICE tank, and I love mine, but it's not a MTL tank by any stretch of the imagination. However, if you switch to direct lung hits, you'll get more vapor, which will mean more nic per vape, which should satisfy your cravings better. It certainly did for me. But you'll get more "clouds" as well. A Nautilus (which I don't have, but my husband does) and a Boreas are two completely different animals. Just FYI. :)

i seem to have missed the part where the Boreas is a DTL tank, and not an MTL tank. In fact, i didn't even know there was a difference. Thankfully though, it looks like i can get something like a Joytech Cubis, or a Kanger Mini relatively cheap, if i find the Boreas is too much for me to handle at the start. Hell, maybe this one oversight ends up being the first push towards becoming a vape enthusiast, with numerous tanks, and boxes, and wrapping my own weird ass coils, and whatnot...

...but someone has to promise to slap the stupid out of me if i ever turn into a "vapebro"...

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Yes, i know that the Boreas is an RTA. i went with the RTA instead of an RDA because i'm not really interested in dripping. i used to watch classmates stroke each other over their drip setup, while they were constantly having to put more fluid on their wicks, while i sat there with my Nautilus tank, never needing to refill until i got home. From the posts i've read about it, and the couple of video's i watched reviewing it, it looks like it will be easy to learn with. Comfortable enough for a beginner, and sturdy enough for an experienced user. At least, i hope so. :D

i'll take the new setup with me to my friendly neighborhood vape shop after it gets here so the guy running the place can show me how to get things setup (he already offered to do so), and so i can buy my wife the replacement coils for my current kit. i'll buy a set of pre-made coils, and a pack of wicks so i can use the new kit while i learn how to wrap my own coils.

A lot of the tools i've seen used in coil making demonstrations i already have, thanks to other hobbies. Pliers, and other wire-related tools from jewelry making, and chain weaving. Small screwdrivers from my PC building/electronics tinkering days, and drill/drill bits from household handyman repair. i've got a nice voltage/ohm meter that i use for automobile electronics repair. It's not one that i can just screw the base of the Boreas into, but if i can check the resistance of your average capacitor, i think i can check the resistance of a freshly wrapped coil.

i think. i might end up burning my face off instead. Although, that'd probably be an improvement...
sounds good! have fun and if you need help making coils, there is a subforum here for that as well ;)

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
i seem to have missed the part where the Boreas is a DTL tank, and not an MTL tank. In fact, i didn't even know there was a difference. Thankfully though, it looks like i can get something like a Joytech Cubis, or a Kanger Mini relatively cheap, if i find the Boreas is too much for me to handle at the start. Hell, maybe this one oversight ends up being the first push towards becoming a vape enthusiast, with numerous tanks, and boxes, and wrapping my own weird ass coils, and whatnot...

...but someone has to promise to slap the stupid out of me if i ever turn into a "vapebro"...

You'll LOVE that Boreas eventually, but it might be too much to transition to right away. It depends on you, though. You can sure try it, and if it's too much, put it away for later, and use something else that's kind of "in the middle." ;) I think it's a great tank, and I wish I had 10 more, to be honest! LOL! It took me a while to get here, though, from my original little MTL tanks and coils. I'll never go back now, but I remember it was quite "different" trying to get enough air to not burn my coils and wicks at first. :)

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
another tank you might consider is the merlin
it works great with only one coil
can work great for both DTL and MTL
and has the capability to do single and dual coils easily
fairly easy to build on

it could be a good in between from a nautalist to a boreas

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
While I'm certainly not an expert or even fairly knowledgeable about various tanks and their pros and cons, so I won't comment on equipment recommendations but I can tell you my what worked for me.

First of all, to more closely reproduce the sensation of smoking a tobacco cig, I switched to menthol juice. 18 mg (1.8%) is supposed to be about the same level of nicotene as a full flavor (Marlboro Red, Winston,etc...) so that's what I used.

Keep in mind the "I'm gonna quit smoking no matter what" mindset is just as important as what tools you use to accomplish this goal. Also be assured that craving a cigarette - especially in the beginning - is normal, and it's OK. We all have. Just don't give in to it.

I quit smoking cigs with a simple "Buck Naked" kit I bought at my local tobacco store and used it for about 11 months until my battery got to the point it won't hold a charge more than hour. Now I have an iStick Basic that vapes at 18-19 watts and the battery holds up 2 full days of vaping so I'm loving it.

I don't have a problem with internal batteries myself because of the ensuing disease that affects 99 out 100 people who fully give up tobacco for vaping. The medical term for it (or not) is called "shiny-itis) and is extremely contagious. One person gets it, passes it on to another, and before you know it, entire neighborhoods are infected. I figure before the battery goes out on this new unit, I'll either be tired of it or I'll have something else to vape alongside it.

I do have my sights on a Pico 75 and a Cuboid 150 for home use - I just haven't decided on a tank yet. I'll still keep something like the "Basic" to carry in my shirt pocket as a light stealth rig on my many trips to Drs, etc..

Anyway, that's my .02 worth. I hope it helps in some small way.

Michael

VU Sponsors