Become a Patron!

I just experienced a near thermal event with my Cherry Bomber!

GrayVaper

Drips in Public
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Anyone that owns a Cherry Bomber, be it a clone or authentic, knows it has simple construction and can be fully broken down for cleaning or upgrades. Over the weekend I replaced the internals and 510 connection on my MCV copper Cherry Bomber with solid silver components. The results were an impressive decrease in voltage drop and I've been enjoying it with my Mutation X v3 attached. Then today I decided to change the build on the atty. I always build on my ohm meter for safety and convienance. Then I always test a new build on my regulated Sigelei just in case there's a short. I know that with mech mods, especially a Cherry Bomber, you need to respect the device and check and recheck. What I never anticipated was that the threads on the atty had locked into the new silver 510 connector snuggly enough that when I unscrewed the atty I removed the 510 with it! This reulted in a thick silver lock nut falling internally on top of the battery contact and touching the copper body (which is ground). Suddenly the case became warm and the batteries heated up! I grabbed a screw driver and exited the house onto the patio prepared to toss the whole thing in the yard if necessary. Fortunately no further thermal overload occured as I loosened the terminal screws and dumped the batteries on a stone table. They were very hot and both wraps became discolored (HE2s) and one battery doesn'tt even register on my Nitecore charger. So I tossed the one and am not sure about the other.
From now on, I'll be sure to remove batteris first as an additional safety precaution.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The batts are shot. Never use em again. You were freaking lucky they didn't vent.

GrayVaper

Drips in Public
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes,...I am lucky,......and yes,....batts in the trash.

saint_518

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
close call man. glad to hear you acted quick and was able to remove the batts.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Damn! Glad everything worked ok.
Nice quick thinking

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Had they been shit quality batteries, they probably would have vented or worse

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I always remove batts from cb before making any moves, including removal of atty.
Good to hear the story didnt have a bad ending.

cbrplume

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Close call man good thinking.

Firestorm

Member For 4 Years
Yes,...I am lucky,......and yes,....batts in the trash.

It's really a much better idea to recycle your batteries instead of just throwing them in the garbage. It's better for safety and for the environment. A bunch of different retailers offer battery recycling bins, like Home Depot. I wrap my old high drain batteries in plastic wrap and drop them off in a recycling bin when they are no longer needed.

VU Sponsors