Become a Patron!

I just got my first roll of wire...

bugalien

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What do I do now???

It is Demon Killer "fused clapton wire 28GA *2+32GA"

How many wraps on what can I make 2 coils that will be between .2 and .4 ohms on my CCI archon 2 post deck?

Please help me to get started. I am so excited!

I would have got some normal wire but the B&M didn't have any.

I just must support and buy from them. They are awesome and dont bend me over at all when I go there. Best price on juice and other things I have ever seen, and they helped me install coils on my first RDA.

My husband has all kinds of bits and such that I can use to wrap with.

bugalien

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ahhhh! So many selections. I understand why, but it will take me a few minutes...

bugalien

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Can someone tell me what metal that the wires are? I am trying to look it up

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ahhhh! So many selections. I understand why, but it will take me a few minutes...
Mess about with it, also review the "Ohms Law" section, this is a mainstay.

If you have any questions after messing about with it let me know.
Can someone tell me what metal that the wires are? I am trying to look it up

You need to find that our yourself. I wrap my own wire so I buy 317L SS and Kanthal. What ever wire you purchased go to the site that makes the wire and find what it is, remember there are various grades of SS, most common is 316L.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks. I am seeing where it might be a challenge to do the math without the formula. I have no idea how to get in touch with the company. lol
Yeah I can't stand it when Company's won't put what the wire is, it's like WTF are they hiding?

Anyway most common are Kanthal A1 or 316L SS, but you seriously never know with Chinese Company's.

Anyway the main two areas of Steam Engine you will be using are

Coil Wrapping
http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp

Ohms Law
http://www.steam-engine.org/ohm.asp

I also use it for figuring out what percentage for mixing my juice

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
@bugalien Just so you know, the 28/32 fused Clapton will take a while to heat up and cool down due to the thickness of the outer wrap wire. The thinner the outer wire the faster it will heat up and cool down. In the future see if your shop will carry 28/36 or 28/38 wire. Or you can go full down the rabbit hole and learn how to make it yourself. Besides being cheaper, it's lots of fun and you get the pride of making it yourself.

bugalien

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
2017-02-07 12.54.33.jpg Well there it is. I had some trouble with the calculator. I probably did it wrong because I didn't know the exact size of the wrap. It said it would have been over 1 ohm but I ended up with .183 ohms!
Can someone tell me how many wraps it is by looking. 4.5?

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
View attachment 73904 Well there it is. I had some trouble with the calculator. I probably did it wrong because I didn't know the exact size of the wrap. It said it would have been over 1 ohm but I ended up with .183 ohms!
did you select dual coil in the options?

Vesuvius

OG
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
View attachment 73904 Well there it is. I had some trouble with the calculator. I probably did it wrong because I didn't know the exact size of the wrap. It said it would have been over 1 ohm but I ended up with .183 ohms!
A Fused Clapton using 28gauge Kanthal x2 for the core and 32gauge Kanthal as the wrap is showing at 0.466ohms per coil at 4 wraps. Since you are using 2 coils, the resistance is split between the 2 coils making it 0.233ohms for the whole build. The fact that they are spaced out, and did you pulse and pinch or scrape the coils and making sure the leads are screwed in tight make be giving you a different reading on the ohms. Also, what is the diameter of the coil? What did you wrap it on?
IMG_1935.PNG

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What do I do now???

It is Demon Killer "fused clapton wire 28GA *2+32GA"

How many wraps on what can I make 2 coils that will be between .2 and .4 ohms on my CCI archon 2 post deck?

Please help me to get started. I am so excited!

I would have got some normal wire but the B&M didn't have any.

I just must support and buy from them. They are awesome and dont bend me over at all when I go there. Best price on juice and other things I have ever seen, and they helped me install coils on my first RDA.

My husband has all kinds of bits and such that I can use to wrap with.
quick google search shows it as Kanthal A1

Vesuvius

OG
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It definitely should not have read as over 1.0ohm on Steamengine either way.

bugalien

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A Fused Clapton using 28gauge Kanthal x2 for the core and 32gauge Kanthal as the wrap is showing at 0.466ohms per coil at 4 wraps. Since you are using 2 coils, the resistance is split between the 2 coils making it 0.233ohms for the whole build. The fact that they are spaced out, and did you pulse and pinch or scrape the coils and making sure the leads are screwed in tight make be giving you a different reading on the ohms. Also, what is the diameter of the coil? What did you wrap it on?
View attachment 73952
I used a 7/84 drill bit to wrap it on. I pinched and strummed and all that. I could not get the coil to stay together. It stayed spaced wen I wanted it to not be spaced. :cuss2:

Vesuvius

OG
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I used a 7/84 drill bit to wrap it on. I pinched and strummed and all that. I could not get the coil to stay together. It stayed spaced wen I wanted it to not be spaced. :cuss2:
When I wrap my contact (not spaced) coils, as I am wrapping I pull the wire kind of sideways, against the previous loops I made if that makes sense.

Vesuvius

OG
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
http://www.steam-engine.org/wirewiz.html
I put some more info in and now got .4 out of it I can't tell but the wires are strange looking, like there is a twisted coil inside that clapton. so I put that to see what it said.
Do you have a scrape piece laying around? You can pull that wire off to see what is inside of it. It should just be two 28gauge Kanthal wires in there. During the wrapping process, it is possible that those two wires got crossed or had a weird kink or something in it.

Vesuvius

OG
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I looked at your coils again and the core wires do apear to be very very slightly twisted inside.

Vesuvius

OG
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
yep I pulled some clippings apart and they are twisted a bit.
I dont know if that was intended, if not, its a bad wrapping job but I cant say because maybe they intended it to be that way. All I know is my Lightning Vapes Fused Clapton wire is straight.

VU Sponsors