Become a Patron!

I need a mod with a good battery life.

Jack Merridew

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm not proud to say it, but I've been a dual user for quite some time. Now that I'm trying to vape exclusively, I'm realizing that an Istick 30w won't last an evening at 0.7 ohms with my Kayfun Clone.

Do you guys have any recommendation?

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Last edited:

JXN

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You need a dual battery mod and plenty of spares. Since stopping the smokes, I now have 4 mods, 3 with changeable batteries, with another on the way and 18 18650 batteries. If you want to quit, go for it, it works. It can be cheaper. I've just recently recouped my rather large initial investment and you can see by my signature that now I'm not concerned with counting cigarettes but more with getting my future vape budget down to a reasonable level. I DIY and kept track of every purchase vape related down to nuts and bolts for a wire jig. I've spent a lot but the savings are now starting to pile up. Just get everything you need to stop the cancer sticks.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Whats your budget for your new gear?

Dan DePippo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
If you are looking for a self contained battery mod it's hard to beat the smok m80. It will last you a day easy and power any tank you want. Vapor Joe posted a gear best deal that ends today 38.99 if you can wait 10 or so days for it. http://bit.ly/1zkLiZz

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm not proud to say it, but I've been a dual user for quite some time. Now that I'm trying to vape exclusively, I'm realizing that an Istick 30w won't last an evening at 0.7 ohms with my Kayfun Clone.

Do you guys have any recommendation?

How many mls do you vape a day? When people say a device lasts 3 or 4 days you can assume they're not vaping 30 ms!

Jack Merridew

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well yesterday I've vaped about 10 mls, but I was vaping a juice with lower nicotine than I'm used to, so maybe that's why I drained my battery so fast.

As for budget, I would say anything below 150$ would be fine.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well yesterday I've vaped about 10 mls, but I was vaping a juice with lower nicotine than I'm used to, so maybe that's why I drained my battery so fast.

As for budget, I would say anything below 150$ would be fine.

Then you'll probaby go through 2 or 3 batteries a day :) I have several single-battery mods (all use slightly different batteries), and I find I get about a tankful out of one battery (coils 0.5-1.2 ohms, 18-30 watts).

If you want to change your batteries less often, you could get something like a Sigelei 150 watt which holds two batteries - the price has come way down recently to less than $80 shipped.

Jack Merridew

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Wow thanks a lot. :) I'm gonna check out the Sigelei 150W! Seems like a perfect fit for my needs.

If you're in the market for the Sigelei 150, I'd like to mention that they're releasing a new version with temp control. The original 150w will be a lot cheaper and if temp control isn't your thing then have at it; otherwise yeah, may be worth checking up for the new model.

Jack Merridew

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Temp control is only for nickel coils right? I'm not really sure about the benefits.

I've heard that some loosely work with kanthal but for the sake of keeping things simple, yes it's mainly for nickel wire. The benefit are no dry hits. You can hold that fire button and not burn your cotton as well. I haven't toyed too much nickel wire so I can't vouch for flavor/vapor compared to regular coils.

However, I heard that Sigelei is using a different temp control than what is currently out - something about a chip created in house so whether or not it will work with both kanthal and nickel will have to wait until it's released and reviews come out. I believe the expected release date is sometime in June, however I'm not sure when.

Furthermore, I believe the closer we get to the Sigelei 150 the cheaper the original will become. I've already seen sites that sell it for as cheap as $80. But again, that's just my intuition but I hope all that helps your decision in some way.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Nickel is finicky to build with, but not too bad. And especially with an RDA, it's fucking awesome. I've been ignoring my Kayfuns for months, rebuilt one yesterday, and it's just not cutting it. I'm gonna try to fit a Nickel coil in a kayfun, it's gonna be tight, though. It truly is awesome to eliminate dry hits, I've basically used nothing but TC since I got my iPV4.

The iPV4 just came out, and it's dual 18650, 100watts, with temperature control. You should look into it as well. They are $75 or so. 100 watts is plenty of power for the vast majority of vapers. Just a thought, it's a good price wether you end up liking TC or not. That would leave you plenty to get a couple pairs of batteries, and a quality charger and be under budget.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nickel is finicky to build with, but not too bad. And especially with an RDA, it's fucking awesome. I've been ignoring my Kayfuns for months, rebuilt one yesterday, and it's just not cutting it. I'm gonna try to fit a Nickel coil in a kayfun, it's gonna be tight, though. It truly is awesome to eliminate dry hits, I've basically used nothing but TC since I got my iPV4.

The iPV4 just came out, and it's dual 18650, 100watts, with temperature control. You should look into it as well. They are $75 or so. 100 watts is plenty of power for the vast majority of vapers. Just a thought, it's a good price wether you end up liking TC or not. That would leave you plenty to get a couple pairs of batteries, and a quality charger and be under budget.

I have nickel builds in 2 kayfuns - it works fine! I may never go back to kanthal :)

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I have nickel builds in 2 kayfuns - it works fine! I may never go back to kanthal :)
Yeah, I'm gonna try it. I haven't touched my Kayfuns since I got into RDA's earlier this year, so they need some attention. I just am so used to the power you can push, and the flavor of an RDA. My one I rebuilt yesterday was very underwhelming for me now. I'm thinking a chimney coil might make it easier to fit a Ni200 coil in, there's not much space in the build deck. I will give it a go.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, I'm gonna try it. I haven't touched my Kayfuns since I got into RDA's earlier this year, so they need some attention. I just am so used to the power you can push, and the flavor of an RDA. My one I rebuilt yesterday was very underwhelming for me now. I'm thinking a chimney coil might make it easier to fit a Ni200 coil in, there's not much space in the build deck. I will give it a go.

It fits easily! I *think* I did about 4/5 spaced wraps of 26 gauge on a 2.5 mandrel.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
It fits easily! I *think* I did about 4/5 spaced wraps of 26 gauge on a 2.5 mandrel.
Damn, I'm using 26 gauge on a 3mm, and 9 wraps spaced is at .065 or so. What's the resistance for that coil.

Sorry to thread jack, OP. If you get a TC device, this might be helpful, though.

Budds

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Temp control is only for nickel coils right? I'm not really sure about the benefits.

For now.... maybe.
But....
http://vaporjoes.com/blog/2015/05/27/exclusive-rollout-the-first-temp-control-mod-for-any-coil/

Coming from a guy who is about a year and a half into "Vape Only", from two pack a day chain smoker...
IMHO I would go with the biggest Battery Box you can find for your budget !
Worry about whether Temp control works or not latter.
If you dont want to cheat, or fall off the wagon the last thing you need is a dead battery or equipment malfunction... always at the worst time !
Get a big Fat Battery mod, and a back up. ( that goes for coils, Tanks, RDA, whatever you thing is.)
ALWAYS have back ups !
Every corner store sells cigs, you will be tempted...... Dont make it worse by being "Vapeless" !

There are an impressive number of great mods to choose from now, and more on the way.
I dont mind being 1 or 2 steps behind the curve because the reward is big.... prices drop every time something new hits the scene.
Anyways..........
Good Luck !

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Damn, I'm using 26 gauge on a 3mm, and 9 wraps spaced is at .065 or so. What's the resistance for that coil.

Sorry to thread jack, OP. If you get a TC device, this might be helpful, though.

Weird? This Kayfun is showing 0.11, I'll check the other once my SX cools down :) I've had trouble with the 510 on this one, so this reading might be inaccurate.

Ok, I checked my Lemo 2. I did that one with a 3mm mandrel, maybe 6 wraps, and it's reading 0.65. Build deck is similar. I realized my other Kayfuns are kanthal, so I'll have to build another one and see if it behaves better.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Weird? This Kayfun is showing 0.11, I'll check the other once my SX cools down :) I've had trouble with the 510 on this one, so this reading might be inaccurate.

Ok, I checked my Lemo 2. I did that one with a 3mm mandrel, maybe 6 wraps, and it's reading 0.65. Build deck is similar. I realized my other Kayfuns are kanthal, so I'll have to build another one and see if it behaves better.
Strange, I've been thinking my device is reading low, but it works fine. I wonder if the spacing of wraps makes a considerable difference with Ni200, since it is so low resistance. That wouldn't surprise me.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I think my kayfun 3.1 causes my builds to read a bit high because of the number of parts between the coil and the mod/atty connection and the fact that every part is stainless steel. It's built really well and I love ss, but the conductivity ain't all that great. Just a thought.

Last edited:

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I think my kayfun 3.1 causes my builds to read a bit high because of the number of parts between the coil and the mod/atty connection and the fact that every part is stainless steel. It's built really well and I love ss, but the conductivity ain't all that great. Just a thought.
I actually thought about that after I had posted. I'm comparing someone's Kayfun build to mine. I'm using Mutation X's which have silver plated copper 510, and much less to pass through to the coils, than a kayfun. When you're dealing with such low resistances I'm wondering if that difference in the amount of parts makes a decent difference. When I build one I will know.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I actually thought about that after I had posted. I'm comparing someone's Kayfun build to mine. I'm using Mutation X's which have silver plated copper 510, and much less to pass through to the coils, than a kayfun. When you're dealing with such low resistances I'm wondering if that difference in the amount of parts makes a decent difference. When I build one I will know.
My kayfun has three seperate pieces on the positive side and two seperate pieces on the negative side and they're all stainless. Seems like that could add half a tenth of an ohm to the circuit.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
My kayfun has three seperate pieces on the positive side and two seperate pieces on the negative side and they're all stainless. Seems like that could add half a tenth of an ohm to the circuit.
Yeah, I've disassembled multiple of my Kayfuns completely, there's a ton of metal and insulators to pass through. Dealing with such crazy low resistances, those subtle things must be noticeable. We are talking reading to the thousandth of an ohm, lol. Seems so wrong, but works so right.

Jack Merridew

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Is the IPV4 a better mod than the Sigelei 150w?

Also I have no clue about 18650 batteries... What's the max mah I could get with these?

Last edited:

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Is the IPV4 a better mod than the Sigelei 150w?

Also I have no clue abut 18650 batteries... What's the max mah I could get with these?

Entirely different - the IPV4 has temp control but less watts. Many of use the Samsung 25Rs (2200 mah) - there are other brands out there also.

Baba Fats

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You probably made your choice by now, but if not, I'd highly recommend a DNA board for efficiency. I can't speak to the DNA200, but the DNA40 is outstanding. Many people may scare you into getting a mod with a Yihi chip. They are nice, and reliable. But the battery efficiency of Yihi is crap.

I have an sx Mini M class, and I vape mostly 1.05 - 1.3 ohm coils. I vape all day (probably go through 20 ml's a day). And that mod uses up 3 18650's in 16 hours. My first generation vaporshark DNA40 goes 2 days on 1 battery, and my Vaporflask DNA 40 goes much longer.

If you get a Sigelei which uses a Yihi chip, and sub ohm, you will need 3+ batteries a day, depending on how often you vape

BillW50

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I too have tons of mods. And the one that has everyone beat for battery life is the Wismec Reuleaux RX200 (about 40 bucks) or the Wismec Reuleaux DNA200 (about 140 bucks). It uses three 18650s and surprisingly it isn't all that big. To give you an idea of the battery capacity, it has the same power using three Samsung 25r, but it is like having one battery with a 7500mah of capacity (same watt hours). It would easily fit inside of a Coke can and not as tall. Most people get two to four days of battery life. And the RX200, you will need a battery charger if you don't have one (the RX doesn't do balance charging which is very important with batteries in series). It is heavy though, 406 grams with batteries and one of my Uwell Crown tanks filled with 4ml of juice. I liked the RX200 so much, I bought two.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If you build above 1 ohm and vape under 30 watts almost any mod will give you good battery life. All of my yihi boards mod will last a minimum of a day with those settings

Sent from my Droid Turbo 2 using Tapatalk

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Dead thread resurrection huh? And coil resistance has nothing to do with battery current (run time) in a variable wattage mod.

And the RX200, you will need a battery charger if you don't have one (the RX doesn't do balance charging which is very important with batteries in series).
Where did you get that info?

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Dead thread resurrection huh? And coil resistance has nothing to do with battery current (run time) in a variable wattage mod.

Where did you get that info?
This reviewer talks about it starting around the 26 minute mark. I have the DNA200 Reuleaux so I can't confirm or deny what he's saying about the RX200.

Cheers,
Steve

VU Sponsors