Become a Patron!

I need help from fellow coffee drinkers!

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
It is that time of year when I need to come up with a Xmas list for my family.

Here is the deal.

Currently, I am using a good old fashioned percolator to brew my coffee.

And I prefer the end product to be Black as Sin and Hot as Hell.

I can also tell when it is done and ready for me when I can smell the coffee goodness when I walk by the kitchen.

But alas, the Mrs. hates it because it has a tendency to spout drips and drabs of coffee on the top of the stove while brewing.

That being said, to keep the peace, I need some kind of automatic coffee maker that can deliver the same results as my peculator!

A timer would also be nice so I can wake up to my magic brew but not neccessary.

Please Help!

scalewiz

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey uncle. A percolator brews by repeatedly bubbling hot water over the grounds for several minutes. With such a long brew time, it extracts more of the oils and goodies from the coffee. To duplicate that with an automatic, you're in luck. The best automatics are the slow, cheap ones, the ones that take 10 to 15 minutes to brew a pot. Like the cheap ones sold at Wal-Mart. The expensive units like the Bunn are much faster, on the order of 3 minutes or so, but the result is not as strong or oily.

Just look for something inexpensive, with a timer if you want. Make sure it gets the water good and hot and avoid the expensive, high-speed units.

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Hey uncle. A percolator brews by repeatedly bubbling hot water over the grounds for several minutes. With such a long brew time, it extracts more of the oils and goodies from the coffee. To duplicate that with an automatic, you're in luck. The best automatics are the slow, cheap ones, the ones that take 10 to 15 minutes to brew a pot. Like the cheap ones sold at Wal-Mart. The expensive units like the Bunn are much faster, on the order of 3 minutes or so, but the result is not as strong or oily.

Just look for something inexpensive, with a timer if you want. Make sure it gets the water good and hot and avoid the expensive, high-speed units.

Sadly, I have tried and discarded the cheap ones.

I need something to brew long and slow.

If indeed some animal like that even exist!

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

A pour over cone filter like a Chemex. That's what I use now. slow drip, strong coffee. It's not automatic, you need to pur the water over it a few times, but it makes excellent coffee.

Or a Bunn (top of the line). Makes excellent coffee too.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Here's what I use. It's the Hamilton-Beach Flex Brew system. If you set it on bold brew it takes longer to brew and makes a stronger pot of coffee. It can also make single cups using either k-cups or grounds in a basket.

49983.5d3ede7a5d1bbf7541f7f37b8bfbd1e7.jpg

Etown smoke

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The Hamilton beach mark suggested is a great coffee maker and yes it does brew some strong coffee. I myself use it for the timer so my coffee is ready when I get up but when I want a "real" cup of coffee I use a dark roast in my good old french press and IMO it's the best coffee I can make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Another bump for the french press, its so controllable and easy. You pour the hot boiling water in for as long as it suits your taste. I let it sit for minute because I like my coffee medium in taste and color.

I have a large one with double stainless steel walls so it keeps it hot for a longer time.

I also love my Aeropress, a bit more work and you can only do one cup at a time, its the best in the taste dept.

Its been hard finding a good automatic that makes the coffee real hot. I got my dad the Ninja, its real basic and has all the things you listed. It comes out pretty hot, but it has a ledge you put your cup on if you want a single cup and its a bit too low and splashes, I have rigged up a plastic thing that holds it up higher so no splash.

I tried out one of those Keurigs the ohter day at my Drs Office, I kinda scoffed at it, after all, those "Pods" but it was really good, really strong and really really hot. I was worried that I was going to get someone elses flavored coffee affecting my reg coffee.

Im sorry, but I cant stand flavored coffees, especially hazelnut and vanilla. Thats why I would endup bringing my own coffeemakers to work cause that stuff gets into everything

Last edited:

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

If you want another percolator, why not get an electric one OR a Urn percolator? Both of these still perk coffee. Both will cost more than the typical electric drip coffee maker.

No drip coffee maker does as well as a perk pot IMO.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
that's the one that connects directly into an I.V. pump I think...:giggle::giggle:
LOL makes sense, huh?

It has temp adjustment, adjustable auto start, adjustable auto shut-off, charcoal filtering, and easy to clean. I had a Krups, at one time, that I really liked, but it died after a year. I went to exchange it, and the new one leaked all over my counter. Never again, nope.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
LOL makes sense, huh?

It has temp adjustment, adjustable auto start, adjustable auto shut-off, charcoal filtering, and easy to clean. I had a Krups, at one time, that I really liked, but it died after a year. I went to exchange it, and the new one leaked all over my counter. Never again, nope.
Didn't you know Krup is the German word for crap?

:D

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
We have been using this coffeemaker for a long time too. I'm loving a good coffee myself. However, I haven't been able to find any domestic brands of coffee that please me as much as a German brand (Jackobs Krönung; comes in a green package). Meanwhile, I switched to a Keurig coffeemaker, with an optional filter for using your own coffee. This coffeemaker makes a single cup of delicious coffee real quick. Good enough for me!

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Didn't you know Krup is the German word for crap?

:D
That's a new one to me, although German is my native language! :giggle:
However, since every major company is outsourcing their production elsewhere, you can't expect the quality, as it used to be. :(

dcarpentier

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I love my coffee strong ( Finlander side of me I guess).
I ditto the votes for a french press. Once you find a bean/grind that you like, and tweak your steep and press method, It's fantastic.
Cleanup is about the same as a percolator (good things dont come without pain).

As for k-cups.. I dunno, maybe I got a bum unit, but my (original) k-cup machine drips through fine but it doesnt get hot enough to pull the flavour through .. sorta like drinking microwaved rewarmed coffee or something.. ick.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I love my coffee strong ( Finlander side of me I guess).
I ditto the votes for a french press. Once you find a bean/grind that you like, and tweak your steep and press method, It's fantastic.
Cleanup is about the same as a percolator (good things dont come without pain).

As for k-cups.. I dunno, maybe I got a bum unit, but my (original) k-cup machine drips through fine but it doesnt get hot enough to pull the flavour through .. sorta like drinking microwaved rewarmed coffee or something.. ick.
The newer coffeemaker by Keurig definitely have improved, even on their k-cups. However, as mentioned previously, the optional filter with a quality, fresh ground coffee, makes a huge difference.

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I have had three Hamilton-Beach in a row and they lasted aprox one year Ea. I have had numerous cheap coffee makers that lasted about the same if not little more, all of course made in china. Since I have tried the expensive one's with no better lasting results I now just use the cheap ones. As far as taste goes it is hard to beat the old perks. I have never tried running it through twice but have wondered if this would get closer to perk.

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Thanks for all the good advice!

BTW, I do own a French Press and it makes really good coffee.

But when I make coffee, I want to brew a full pot at a time so I can have 2-3 cups in the AM and what is left over goes into the fridge so I can make Iced Coffee later.

My main concern is that I really want a STRONG cup O-Java in the morning and to use my Cafe DuMonde coffee.

Even in the best of restaurants, when I order a coffee after the meal (usual with a Brandy) I am almost always let down by what I am served.

But I also like the idea of having a machine with a timer and being able to perhaps make a single cup from time to time.

So far I am looking at all the machines listed.

Not the Ninja so much as the Mrs. would cut of my "You Know Whats" if I spent $170 on a coffee maker.!

Vapin4Joy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Any home coffee maker made by Bunn, at a time in my life I owned over 600 hundred Bunn coffee makers, I owned a office coffee service. Without a doubt the very best that can be had for any price! ;)

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Any home coffee maker made by Bunn, at a time in my life I owned over 600 hundred Bunn coffee makers, I owned a office coffee service. Without a doubt the very best that can be had for any price! ;)

Will it provide a rich dark coffee like a good old fashioned peculator does?

By which I mean BLACK to the point where it almost looks like a solid substance when you go to pour it into your cup?

Vapin4Joy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Will it provide a rich dark coffee like a good old fashioned peculator does?

By which I mean BLACK to the point where it almost looks like a solid substance when you go to pour it into your cup?
It's all about how hot it heats the water, all I can say is the heating element in Bunn machines is commercial quality, so hot water and the proper amount of coffee equals dark delicious coffee. What makes most Bunn machines superior is a stainless steel reservoir, that's what I use till this day, I have what is known as the A10, fifteen years old, they still make it and many new choices, check out their site.

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I bought a beautiful Italian stove top espresso machine and have never used it. It is not like the ones I see all over which looks like 2 triangular sections screwed together, but looks like the electric ones you see in coffee shops but not electric. I will take some photos and see if anyone has any idea how to use it. I bought it at a Marshalls decades ago because it was cheap, heavy and really cool looking.

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I have had a bunn home unit and it lasted for years and was good. I guess as long as they are not made in china now they would be good still.

NonProphet

Member For 3 Years
I worked as a barista for three years so I know a thing or two about coffee.
2 words "French Press"
Fucking amazing coffee. You can get one for like 9$ try it and if you don't like it take it back.
But im pretty sure you'll like it.

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Whatever you do stay the fuck away from a Keurig. I don't get the love for them. It's mind boggling to me

I would never get one, I like my coffee "coffee flavored" ... But if you want it strong and HOT and easy, there are many that would enjoy the "not having to think, or not having to do any work " aspect of it. Its not bad as far as flavor, bit on the strong side, but most like it that way. Its pretty much on par with 7 Eleven, doughnut shop, standard Starbucks.

Even if you live with someone that drinks "FLAVORED" coffee drinks, somehow it does not infect the coffee maker with that horrid, nauseating, haunting residue.

I like French presses, Aeropress ( best ) and good ol fashioned put water in a pot, bring to start of boil, add the coffee , stir, bring to a rise and remove.
If you dont like the grinds, pour thru a strainer, good :)

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Whatever you do stay the fuck away from a Keurig. I don't get the love for them. It's mind boggling to me
I liked ours so much, I bought a spare if it ever dies. Three years running with daily use and normal care, this SOB just works. Good coffee only depends on what you use in it. Use shit coffee pods, get shit coffee in return.

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I liked ours so much, I bought a spare if it ever dies. Three years running with daily use and normal care, this SOB just works. Good coffee only depends on what you use in it. Use shit coffee pods, get shit coffee in return.

If one wanted to, can you use your own grind? Someone told me you can, but not having one to ridicule :devil: and read instructions with, ..... Sorry, I make fun of stuff for stupid reasons.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
If one wanted to, can you use your own grind? Someone told me you can, but not having one to ridicule :devil: and read instructions with, ..... Sorry, I make fun of stuff for stupid reasons.
Yes, I have and do. You just have to get the insert for it. I have three. :D

I think they cost like 10 bucks. Makes a cup of premo coffee a LOT cheaper.

VU Sponsors