Become a Patron!

I need so much help.

I've messed around with egos before and always stopped once the battery started to fail on me or something else happened.
Today I bought a subox mini and I have a ton of questions.
1: how often do I have to replace the atomizer? I vape pretty frequently, not quite chain smoker levels but still a reasonable amount, also where do I find replacements for those?
2: if I use the RBA how often do I replace the coil?
3: do I really need more than one tank and if so what's a good one I can use for my mod that won't cost me a fortune?
4: I'm currently running at 22.5 watts. Is that ok?
5: how exactly do I clean everything if I'm changing juice/how often should I clean it even if I'm not?
6: do I leave the tank on or remove it in between use?

Thanks for the help!

NitroBex

The Cloud Chasing Geek
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Congratulations on the sub box purchase! And welcome!

Q: how often do I have to replace the atomizer? I vape pretty frequently, not quite chain smoker levels but still a reasonable amount, also where do I find replacements for those?
A: The shop you bought your sub box from will most likely have the replacement heads, how long they last depends on how you use them, dark juices will destroy them faster than lighter juices this is just one of the factors, a good rough guess is a week or 2 per head.

Q: if I use the RBA how often do I replace the coil?
A: Coils you build will need wicks replaced at roughally half the time it takes to go through a head... So a week or so of medium use... To build the coil it depends on the gage wire and how well you maintain it but generally a month or 2.

Q: do I really need more than one tank and if so what's a good one I can use for my mod that won't cost me a fortune?
A: NEED is a strong word, no you do not NEED another tank, many people seem to like to get another tank so they can swap flavors very easy. A low cost tank that I absolutely love is the Super Tank by Tobeco...

Q: I'm currently running at 22.5 watts. Is that ok?
A: Yes, the power you vape at is completely subjective, if you are happy at 22.5 watts that is a perfectly fine wattage to run at.

Q: how exactly do I clean everything if I'm changing juice/how often should I clean it even if I'm not?
A: If you are changing flavors, i recommend changing heads on pre built heads... if you are using an RBA you remove the wick, dry fire the coil to burn off the gunk and rewick. If you are using the prebuilt heads and not changing flavors you let it go till the head is done, if you are using the RBA and not changing flavors, you dry fire it when ever you are changing wicks.

Q: do I leave the tank on or remove it in between use?
A: I leave my tanks on, or take them off, it really doesnt matter.

Hope this helps =)

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Adding onto some good advice from @NitroBex...

1. If it tastes burnt, toss your factory coil and replace it. Or re-wick your RBA coil, dry-burning before installing the new wick. Lots of options online, though your local shop probably sells factory coils too. I like to poke at the cotton in the stock Subtank coils a bit and find it helps liquid wick better and the coils last longer.

2. My RBA coils generally last through 3-4 re-wicks, and I wick once or twice a week.

3. No, unless you want to change flavors often you can live with one tank. If you like your Subtank, get another one - if not, check out the Subtank Wars thread for discussion on what else is out there. I don't like to change flavors more than once or twice on the same coil (always using flavors that would blend well together), so using one tank and swapping flavors all the time would waste coils for me.

4. If 22.5 works for you, great! I run my Subtank around 30, my wife runs hers at 18.5....

5. I do a hot water rinse between flavor changes, soak the coil in cheap vodka overnight and let it dry if I'm going to re-use it.

6. You should be fine leaving the tank and mod assembled, just try to keep it upright.

Thanks a lot guys! I do have one more question, it already tastes considerably more burned than it did yesterday and I know I didn't vape that much, as I only went through one tank. Is there any reason for this?

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks a lot guys! I do have one more question, it already tastes considerably more burned than it did yesterday and I know I didn't vape that much, as I only went through one tank. Is there any reason for this?
If you burn your wick, it's burnt. No fixing that. Time to re-wick or replace the head...

I have a subox and i do love it. I have been using for a month now and have yet to replace the .5ohm prebuilt head, I did try the RBA out for a week and liked it. I still get flavorful hits off of the same head it arrived with.

notaclone1

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
a lot of great advice on here, just follow all of the above comments and youll be good to go. You'll deff know when its time to change the coil. Its a taste that you'll never forget.

mkhilario

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Make sure you refill before the juice gets too low or you may burn the cotton in the cartridges. Bring a juice bottle with you even if you think you won't need it. Fully saturate a new cartridge before screwing the tank bell on. The RDA is a joy to build on. There are good vids on youtube. Just make sure that the wicking instructions refer to the new subtank mini with the round juice holes. I have no interest in buying cartridges because the RDA works so well.

VU Sponsors