If nobody's posting......

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If nobody's posting here, who the Hell is keeping "Blu" and similar devices flying off the "Wally World" shelves? My one and only experience with these was in 2009 when Smart Smoke started up. $200 starter kit with 2 batteries, 2 bridged attys with poly fill mouth pieces, and a free 10ml bottle of juice! Gave that POS about 5 months before finding eGos. I think I ended up giving the damn things away shortly after.

Dhim

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Member For 5 Years
Honestly a lot of people grab these at their gas station while picking up a pack of cigarettes. The average consumer is not one to come to a forum and research before they make a purchase like that. Most will find it's awful and either completely look away from PV's or quickly discover what else is out there.

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
some peopel are after the cig-alike experience rather then the ego or better apv's out their but to me one less analog is still one less analog.

Chris Johnson

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
VU Vendor Employee
Member For 4 Years
The people buying stick and blu-type batteries are not the type searching the internet to share their experiences vaping. They're doing what they did as smokers and not glorifying it. We're actually the minority.

jae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The big problem with these brands and those consumers is that inevitably they will bad-mouth vaping based on their own sketchy experience. I hear all the time from people on the street who are shocked to see my crappy lil' Nemmy and we start talking and it turns out that they "tried e-cigarettes and hated it" because it tasted terrible, didn't last long [before needing recharged or it just stopped working altogether], or "it just wasn't right."

And then they tell two friends, and they tell two friends... and then pretty soon, city ordinances and workplace rules are effected and signs get posted which ban the use of PVs.

Kevin2112

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It definately depends on the state of mind when buying these. People who are just curious probably will try it then back to smoking. Then there are people who hate the fact they can't stop smoking, hate the taste, smell and how they feel. These people buy them with it in there mind they want this to work. Five years ago when I bought my first cig-alike kit ,it barely Vaped but I could still feel that I was getting a little nicotine to curb the urge. Thank God I discovered the 510 Mega kit from TW with its impressive 240 mah manual battery

KREAM

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Cigalikes and their ilk definitely have their place in the vaping world, even in 2014. When I first started vaping in 2009, that's all there was. My only options at the mall kiosk were an 801or a 901starter kit with prefilled cartridges and I got the 901. The gear I use today would have scared the shit out of me back then when I first started vaping.

And a lot of new vapers feel that way now and can't imagine vaping with the huge mods and tanks a lot of us use. The 10 or so people I have converted over the years all got kr808 or 510 kits from me to get them started and most turned down ego sized batts when offered an upgrade after a couple months. Of the converts, at least half still use cigalike size ecigs because they don't want anything bigger.

And after almost 5 years of vaping, I still have 808 and 510 batteries that I use when stealth is paramount.....airplanes, long church services, and other places where they don't want me to vape. I bought black stealth caps from SI to cover the leds and no one is ever the wiser.

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Blu was my first venture into vaping. A guy at work had bought a full Blu kit and it got my wheels turning. There are kits now??? So I figure I would try a disposable to test the waters and see if I could do it. Well I went the whole day using it and only had maybe 4 cigarettes. So I figured I could do it. So I started researching and discovered there were several different starter kits out there. There it started. 16 months later and I am still at it and not one stick.

But I will say speaking for myself one of the first places I search for when doing research is forums. Started back in 2000 and I have bee a forum junkie ever since. You would be surprised at the amount of people who use forums as a research and comparison. That is probably why right now you see (members: 114, guests: 541 online) Many of those guests came across the forum while researching and just want to look around but have no interest in joining or posting. Of all of the forums I am on and staff on you will almost always see more guests than actual members online.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I think a lot of times the Blu's and the others out there are bought by smokers that are looking for a way out.

They don't realize how expensive the things are compared to an eGo for example and they just don't know that you can indeed get much better flavors until they decide to do some research and then the forums start popping up on their monitors.

Then they lurk and watch and eventually join in and find were to get better and more long lasting batteries or APVs, carto's clearos and juice to start.

Like I did at first. But at least I got lucky due to a radio spot offering free starter kits from a local company that sells a lot at central Ohio gas stations. Westside Vapor. He fixed me up with a handful of 510 stick batteries, USB charger and an assortment of filled cartos. Then came the forums, then the Kgo and clearomizers and then the fun really started with VV and VW.

Cessnapix

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Blu was my first venture into vaping. A guy at work had bought a full Blu kit and it got my wheels turning. There are kits now??? So I figure I would try a disposable to test the waters and see if I could do it. Well I went the whole day using it and only had maybe 4 cigarettes. So I figured I could do it. So I started researching and discovered there were several different starter kits out there. There it started. 16 months later and I am still at it and not one stick.

But I will say speaking for myself one of the first places I search for when doing research is forums. Started back in 2000 and I have bee a forum junkie ever since. You would be surprised at the amount of people who use forums as a research and comparison. That is probably why right now you see (members: 114, guests: 541 online) Many of those guests came across the forum while researching and just want to look around but have no interest in joining or posting. Of all of the forums I am on and staff on you will almost always see more guests than actual members online.

Sounds familiar; That's how I started vaping year and a half ago and no smokes since. I started with a few disbosibles to see if I would like it. Only so I didn't have to go out in the snow and smoke as often. Then bought a blu for $80 and that lasted a couple weeks before I got help from an online retailer. Then went to the egos for a month or two.

But; that is what blu is about, selling those cartridges at false claims on packs per cartridge. They maybe making money but it is only a short term venture imo. It has to catch up with them sooner or later.

Have you ever tried their non exsistant customer service!
I need to find a spell checker.
Happy 4th to everyone.

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Kick start thread.......[/] Check! Ok folks, my list is done for the day! I think I'll take the rest of the day off!

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY! Ya'll have a good and safe 4th, we'll see y'all tomorrow.

Crunchy Codex

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I was one of the idiots who got started on the Smoking Everywhere cigalikes back in 2008. Talk about a waste of cash, I bought two of those shitty starter kits and multiple boxes of cartos, totaling over $400. Worst decision of all time.

I think I still have them somewhere...

Mommay

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I still use a 510 atty to test new flavors. I would gladly pif all of these box mods, mechanicals, batteries, etc., etc., if someone would come up with a decent mah & voltage 510ish stick. I love the size, slim feel, light-weight & unintrusiveness (is that even a word??) of the sticks. If I need to be "unnoticed", I'll still load up a little Vision Nano & stick it on a mega 510 (of course, I have to carry a couple more as back-up, cause they don't last long....)

tick22

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
use my old 510s and 808s for going out when I don't want to be noticed. and yes, I carry spares...
If going out to a place a can vape in, my spinners go with me...
Mods stay home or to vaping events or close friends places..

Scuba-Matt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I won't knock cig a likes. A few years back they got me started vaping and off the cigarettes. a month later I walked into my first B&M and it was like the heavens opened up and a beam of light shined down. Hello cartos good by cig a likes.

Its a matter of education and being turned on to a method and flavor that that person likes. I have helped several people get off of cigarettes and those who stopped, embraced vaping and gave it an honest try. Finding flavors that were appealing and from first hand saw that their were many more options past tobacco, menthol,and cherry. A well appointed vape shop with juice from different manufactures is key as well . Not retailers that are selling their own brand but offering a variety. Happy vaping! :)

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
I was one of the many who started with di$po$able ecigs and $tick batteries with refillable cartomizers. I continued to buy them long after I learned of all the alternatives. Why? Because I got the impression from online forums that more advanced hardware was hard to maintain, complicated to rebuild, and would blow my face off if I made a mistake.

I still haven't graduated from eGo-type batteries (VV when I'm feeling crazy), but I'm brave enough now to replace a coil with a pre-coiled wire+wick. I'd probably screw up an RDA within minutes. On the other hand, I became a DIYer for juices very quickly - very simple compared to the hardware IMO.

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I was one of the many who started with di$po$able ecigs and $tick batteries with refillable cartomizers. I continued to buy them long after I learned of all the alternatives. Why? Because I got the impression from online forums that more advanced hardware was hard to maintain, complicated to rebuild, and would blow my face off if I made a mistake.

I still haven't graduated from eGo-type batteries (VV when I'm feeling crazy), but I'm brave enough now to replace a coil with a pre-coiled wire+wick. I'd probably screw up an RDA within minutes. On the other hand, I became a DIYer for juices very quickly - very simple compared to the hardware IMO.

Don't knock yourself, RDA's are easy. You'd do just fine if you'd ever decide to go that route! And really, APV's are just as easy as an eGo, except you change the battery instead of charging the device. A spinner or twist is just a smaller version of a regulated mod APV (with a few extra amenities thrown in for more versatility!) Only you can make the decision if you want to try moving on, but there are great people to help and support you here, if you do!

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
...And really, APV's are just as easy as an eGo, except you change the battery instead of charging the device. A spinner or twist is just a smaller version of a regulated mod APV (with a few extra amenities thrown in for more versatility!) Only you can make the decision if you want to try moving on, but there are great people to help and support you here, if you do!

I have a bunch of (Truman? Trueman?) ego-looking devices with replaceable 14500 batteries. Those are in my apocalypse supplies. I like that I can charge the battery in the device, just like any (other) eGo batt - or take out the battery and use a regular charger. Batteries they came with suck, though.

I know there are great people here to help me when I grow a pair. I wouldn't consider going anywhere else!

Kevin2112

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was one the many who started with di$po$able ecigs and $tick batteries with refillable cartomizers. I continued to buy them long after I learned of all the alternatives. Why? Because I got the impression from online forums that more advanced hardware was hard to maintain, complicated to rebuild, and would blow my face off if I made a mistake.

RBA or RTA are easier than you think. I was also a little hesitant about rebuildables but I'm glad I switched. Once you build a good coil with cotton wick , you won't go back. A well built coil will last a very long time and cotton is easy to replace.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
RBA or RTA are easier than you think. I was also a little hesitant about rebuildables but I'm glad I switched. Once you build a good coil with cotton wick , you won't go back. A well built coil will last a very long time and cotton is easy to replace.

Oh, I have gone so far as to replace a wick with cotton a time or three, in my mini pro-tank-alike. Such a proud moment when that works, LOL

Thank you all for the reassurance!

Roger Schaeffer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
5 months ago I saw my 75 yr old Mom dragging on a greensmoke[cigalike] Next day I ordered a 808D starter kit from smokelessimage. 2 weeks latter I ordered blank cartos and some e juice and started refilling my own cartos. Got 2 volt X2 batteries next and some clearos. Started lurking forums and realized 510 was the way to go-onto egos. First upgrade was a carto tank then a iTaste VV VW 3.0. Got tried of recharging egos and bought APV[Seigli 20 watt and 26650 tube. Started my hand at rebuilding after watching a ton of utube videos. Ordered a Fat Snow Wolf Black Rose Addition today. oh 2 months ago I swore I'd never buy a mech[ thought they were for unhinged folks]. such is vaping life

katfushus

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I tried cig alikes about 3yrs ago and didn't like them but I was working at the time and buying smokes wasn't a problem, it's only when I retired that I felt the stress of having to choose between say, a good steak or a pack of fags, so I eventually googled and found some forums where i learned where to order nicotine, ( not allowed to buy it in Aussieland), hardware etc and now 10 months later have a mini provari, a few MVPs, a custom made wood mod, a little gripper ( my stealth vape) as well as umpteen spinners/twists etc and just recently bought my first rebuildable ( clone) ... and have converted a few neighbours too ... and I have enough gear stocked to see me thru' any vapageddon :)

e-cigs are not practical enough when 2009 even now some types donot work well due to reasons of manufacturer or less education on use but this matter is getting better. happy vaping mate:D

FM696269

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
i started on BLU skycigs. i was smoking 20 menthols a day and kept seeing the adverts for BLU on TV, thought what the hell, ill try em. So bough starter kit, and was on them for about 2 months and didnt touch a cigarette in that time, it saved me 1/2 my money. Then i thought hmm, all these ends im throwing away, theres gotta be something better surely, so i went online and found a website that sold the ends to fit the CLU battery but they were clear and you could add your own liquids, i bought those and saved even more money, but they didnt work too well.

Decided i needed something better, so i bought a CE4, which was awesome, loads better than the BLU for a few months, but i staretd having problems with leaks.

So this week i bought a Innokin MVP 2.0 with a nautilus mini BVC tank to go on it and its awesome.

Im saving loads of money, actually enjoy vaping and dont stink like i used to. Plus being asthmatic its loads better on my chest.

I think people will buy the cheap kits to start, just to see what vaping is like, then go from there. Noones gonna spunk £50 on a good setup to think, vapings not for me

Last12no

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
i started on BLU skycigs. i was smoking 20 menthols a day and kept seeing the adverts for BLU on TV, thought what the hell, ill try em. So bough starter kit, and was on them for about 2 months and didnt touch a cigarette in that time, it saved me 1/2 my money. Then i thought hmm, all these ends im throwing away, theres gotta be something better surely, so i went online and found a website that sold the ends to fit the CLU battery but they were clear and you could add your own liquids, i bought those and saved even more money, but they didnt work too well.

Decided i needed something better, so i bought a CE4, which was awesome, loads better than the BLU for a few months, but i staretd having problems with leaks.

So this week i bought a Innokin MVP 2.0 with a nautilus mini BVC tank to go on it and its awesome.

Im saving loads of money, actually enjoy vaping and dont stink like i used to. Plus being asthmatic its loads better on my chest.

I think people will buy the cheap kits to start, just to see what vaping is like, then go from there. Noones gonna spunk £50 on a good setup to think, vapings not for me
I followed pretty much the same route, your next step should be making your own ejuice. Once you find a few flavor recipes like enjoy vapining becomes so easy on the pocket book. A small initial investment, but so worth it.

Fattlestar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Seems like a while ago now, but just a month and a half ago I started with a Green Smoke kit. Within a week I'd ordered the 40$ starter kit and 165$ in cartridges. A week after that I'd done some research and realized I made a mistake - then ordered an iStick and a Nautilus Mini.

I'm still using the little cigalike on and off because, unlike other people, I actually do like it. Produces way more vapor than the blu I tried recently (a friend had one) and the flavors are pretty much awesome and spot on. But once I'm done with the boatload of overpriced prefilled carts, I'm never going to order any more. My setup (MVP+Nautilus and iStick+Nautilus Mini) is still outperforming the cigalike by miles, and juice is much better priced when it doesn't come in prefilled cartridges from a big tobacco company.

If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't have spent 200$ on that stuff. But it isn't THAT bad.

aikanae

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The people that keep cigalikes flying off the shelves are smokers who want something to tide them over - a long flight, non-smoking rooms, etc. At least that's the reason they keep buying them. Someone who wants to quit with one isn't going to be very happy with them. That happened to a friend of mine and now she won't have anything to do with ecigs. She thinks this is a fad and I'm full of it. When I bought my first kit (not Blu or Vuse) I had an extended stay in a non-smoking hotel along with other things. It was an impulse buy - for the heck of it. "Why not?" and I was amazed I had cut down my smoking by over half within a week. Not patches, gums or chantix had done that. Then I came on line and got instantly overwhelmed in what to do next.

The fact that Blu's and Vuse sell so well is testimony that 80% of smokers WANT to quit or at least modify their habits to something less harmful. It ticks me off that every failed research study blames the smokers as being "unwilling or unable to quit". That's BS.

Someone opened a Vuse cartridge to see what was in it besides their chip (which renders it unusable sorta ike inkjet cartridges) and the wicking material was scary. No one could figure out what it was but turns to a hard plastic when heated. Yup. Just what I always wanted to put into my lungs. I think the pics are up on Reddit. I can say that our "safety" is not their primary concern.

VU Sponsors