Become a Patron!

I'm installing a thermostat... a few questions plz?

xpen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Look at the specs of the object you're connecting the thermostat to
Modern devices (heating and such) tend to use a low voltage control signal interface, but there's no guarantee that reflects your situation.
If you're unsure or can't get the specs of the device I'd recommend looking for qualified help, it's way too easy to start a fire or get electrocuted...

Last edited:

Kinkyvapurrr

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I thought normal houses were 120/240? Is why I asked .. this thermostat said it Won't work on those only 24 volt or 750 mV

Kinkyvapurrr

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Specs of object I'm connecting thermostat to? The wall where the other thermostat is.. .. it's not in a car I'm sorry I should've been more specific it's in my house

Kinkyvapurrr

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Look at the specs of the object you're connecting the thermostat to
Modern devices (heating and such) tend to use a low voltage control signal interface, but there's no guarantee that reflects your situation.
If you're unsure or can't get the specs of the device I'd recommend looking for qualified help, it's way too easy to start a fire or get electrocuted...

Ok, well.. utube here I come. Ty for your time

xpen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Sure it's in your house, (most) cars don't have 120/240V
Normally the thermostat is connected to the house heating system by means of a two-wire connection
The heating system itself is usually powered with the mains voltage (110V in the US, 220V in Europe), but that specific interface - the two-wire connection - is just a low-power connection which acts as an on-off switch for the device
So you need to look in the heating system (or whatever that is) technical manual and see how much voltage is needed for activating that remote switch.
My guess is that it needs less than 1V, for thermostats are usually powered by 1.5V batteries, but you need to double-check that in order not to fry anything in the process.
Hope this helps

PS: I'm being extra cautious because you might be connecting the thermostat to god knows what, and you don't seem to have a good grasp on this matter (no offence intended) , but it's probably just a matter of connecting the two wires to the thermostat and be done with it..

Last edited:

Kinkyvapurrr

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I see... uuugh fuck this is complicated... thank you very much! I was just reading the instructions and I was good until I got to that part.. about the system type.. advanced installation blah blah.. sigh :(...but I feel better I'm not 120/240 so it's the correct one at least :drunk:

Kinkyvapurrr

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I see... uuugh fuck this is complicated... thank you very much! I was just reading the instructions and I was good until I got to that part.. about the system type.. advanced installation blah blah.. sigh :(...but I feel better I'm not 120/240 so it's the correct one at least :drunk:

No offense taken you're absolutely right! Hopefully it's just labeling the wires correctly and retiring them again same way .. but when I read about certain things I don't know if mine is a simple heating/ cooling system.. I think it's a cooling system that acts as a heater in the winter, I'm in Vegas .. comes on and off based on room temp. That makes it advanced installation Bullshit , lol, .. but, let's see what happens, how hard can it be right? Haaaa :bingo:

Kinkyvapurrr

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Let me know how this ends up, now i feel involved

Definitely will.. my aunt sleeping now so I'm just reading the instructions and getting an idea of what's involved before I'm brave and attempt it .. it was acting up last weekend but seems to be working fine now so I'm thinking why fix what's not broken? LOOL but, it needs done so I'll probably just do it and if I live to tell about it I'd say that's a tweetable moment :bliss:cuz I don't tweet! ;) but I'll find my way back here for sure!

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use the same meter I use to check my mods and atties.. and check the voltage at the wires.....

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
how do u know if you have a 120/240 volt system or a 24 volt or 750 mV system?
From this question I would recommend getting a qualified electrician/HVAC tech to do the installation for you.
I am a lifellong electronics tech with years of home and industrial electrical experience.

And if this is about your AC, it is usually NOT the thermostat but something else in the system. Low gas, dirty coils, etc.

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
From this question I would recommend getting a qualified electrician/HVAC tech to do the installation for you.
I am a lifellong electronics tech with years of home and industrial electrical experience.

And if this is about your AC, it is usually NOT the thermostat but something else in the system. Low gas, dirty coils, etc.
Agreed. I hate to say it, but if there's a problem, it's typically not the thermostat. However, it is a good excuse to upgrade your thermostat, such as to a Honeywell RTH8580WF wifi thermostat (what I recently upgraded to and love it!). Could be a variety of things, depending on the symptoms. If the blower isn't working, then I'd suspect the fan control board. Lots of youtubes for helping to trouble shoot things like the blower board. If you do any troubleshooting, be careful because you are dealing with electricity. Could even be the transformer. Last time I had to repair mine, I ended up having to replace both the transformer and the blower board.

VU Sponsors