Become a Patron!

Indiana House Bill 1386

So, my friend, who lives in Indiana came to me not long ago claiming that the state had just passed a law as he claimed "banning all e-juice manufacturing and sales".. but when I looked into the law, I see nothing about a quote-unquote ban. It's HB 1386, and I looked into it, and what I'm seeing is basically they're putting regulations in place to help keep consumers safe while they vape (or that's how I see it anyway). He linked me to a Facebook page to the vape shop he goes to where he lives. And they're quoting all kinds of things like how supposedly cops in the state will now be carrying around barcode readers, and if they scan an e-juice bottle and it doesn't meet their requirements they can find you $150.. now, I cannot verify this as the ones who quoted this stuff did not cite any sources to where this was coming from. But, while doing research on this bill, I have yet to find ANY info on these claims, so I don't know where they are getting this info.

Basically, I'm asking for other opinions on this bill, so I can better explain to him /why/ this is a good thing and not a bad thing. So, I started here, I figured there's enough seasoned vapers here to understand what law would be hurting or helping us as a community. And, being part of the community, I also want to help my friend understand this stuff.

Anyway, the link to the bill is here: https://iga.in.gov/legislative/2016/bills/house/1386

I've sent the link to my sister too, who's studying paralegal in college, and she said she was going to see if she could get her professor who was an attorney, to look at it and see what they think. But I also want more opinions from the vaping community too. So, anything based on what you can read here would be helpful. Thanks in advance. =)

The bill you linked to was only a catch-all done to amend previous laws passed on alcohol and ecigs.

What they're actually talking about was this bill https://iga.in.gov/legislative/2015/bills/house/1432 from last year.

No, it's *not* a good thing. And yes, it really is *that bad*

Okay, again, as I asked for (and you may have missed it) I need that opinion, please. Like. explain what you get out of it. Why is it bad? What do you get out of it? I mean, just saying it is *that bad* doesn't /really/ tell me anything, really. =)

VelvetA

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Why is it bad? Did you read the bill?

I mean, it will put most vape shops out of business in the state. And since you can't legally DIY or buy online, you'll have a hell of a time driving around to find somewhere to buy liquid and whatever limited selection you do find, you'll enjoy paying a much higher price for it. Not only will this not be a benefit to public health and safety, it will actually be harmful as it will restrict and/or eliminate what is probably the best way to quit smoking.

Is there something in particular in the bill that you're confused about or have questions regarding?

Hence why I asked opinions.. I mean, I don't know much about law, my mom was a paralegal for like thirty years, and my sister is going to college to study law.. so, I literally /just/ sent the bill to her to look at, but she hasn't been able to look through it yet. She also said she'd get her professor to look through it, because her professor used to practice law as an attorney. I mean, sometimes sacrifices must be made.. but I didn't fully understand the bill, if you couldn't figure that out by me asking about it, why ask what I don't understand.¯\(°_o)/¯

But, my question is.. if this is basically the same bill from last year, how could anyone in the state have been fine up until this moment? That's what confuses me now.

magnetik

Member For 4 Years
same thing happened to Arkansas.. luckily some vendors still ship. I can buy guns online.. but not ejuice.. smdh

same thing happened to Arkansas.. luckily some vendors still ship. I can buy guns online.. but not ejuice.. smdh

I'm in Michigan right now, and at the moment there are no laws like that. I plan on moving in a few years, just not sure where. Either way, I do think we should create a petition (that is, if one hasn't already been created) for things like this, to tell the government "hey, we want the same rights as smokers, because we kicked the habit, and this is better".. I understand the whole trying to keep the public safe, but tightening the grip is a bit much.

That being said, I didn't fully understand the bill, hence why I asked for opinions. I always like to get other's opinions too, whether or not I understand something. That way I know what other people think about things too. Gives me a better perception of it.

magnetik

Member For 4 Years
I'm in Michigan right now, and at the moment there are no laws like that. I plan on moving in a few years, just not sure where. Either way, I do think we should create a petition (that is, if one hasn't already been created) for things like this, to tell the government "hey, we want the same rights as smokers, because we kicked the habit, and this is better".. I understand the whole trying to keep the public safe, but tightening the grip is a bit much.

That being said, I didn't fully understand the bill, hence why I asked for opinions. I always like to get other's opinions too, whether or not I understand something. That way I know what other people think about things too. Gives me a better perception of it.

yeah it was real confusing for me since I just started vaping to get off cigs a few months ago. The crazy thing is that there are native ejuice companies in Arkansas that I can't even buy from unless it's face to face. Something about wanting to keep money in the state but not thinking about the ramifications of internet sales and how local and non-local shops and consumers would be affected. Now local shops can't buy online unless the shop they're purchasing from has an Arkansas license to sell in state. So the local shops got hosed also.. even though it seemed like a good deal for them at the time. Luckily some spots still ship discretely.. just don't know how long it's gonna last.

So, my friend, who lives in Indiana came to me not long ago claiming that the state had just passed a law as he claimed "banning all e-juice manufacturing and sales".. but when I looked into the law, I see nothing about a quote-unquote ban. It's HB 1386, and I looked into it, and what I'm seeing is basically they're putting regulations in place to help keep consumers safe while they vape (or that's how I see it anyway). He linked me to a Facebook page to the vape shop he goes to where he lives. And they're quoting all kinds of things like how supposedly cops in the state will now be carrying around barcode readers, and if they scan an e-juice bottle and it doesn't meet their requirements they can find you $150.. now, I cannot verify this as the ones who quoted this stuff did not cite any sources to where this was coming from. But, while doing research on this bill, I have yet to find ANY info on these claims, so I don't know where they are getting this info.

Basically, I'm asking for other opinions on this bill, so I can better explain to him /why/ this is a good thing and not a bad thing. So, I started here, I figured there's enough seasoned vapers here to understand what law would be hurting or helping us as a community. And, being part of the community, I also want to help my friend understand this stuff.

Anyway, the link to the bill is here: https://iga.in.gov/legislative/2016/bills/house/1386

I've sent the link to my sister too, who's studying paralegal in college, and she said she was going to see if she could get her professor who was an attorney, to look at it and see what they think. But I also want more opinions from the vaping community too. So, anything based on what you can read here would be helpful. Thanks in advance. =)
Max, this law is beyond bad. The June issue of VAPE magazine will have my article, but I've been following this Indiana debacle for over a year. If this law passes it sets a dangerous precedence for other states to follow.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Max, this law is beyond bad. The June issue of VAPE magazine will have my article, but I've been following this Indiana debacle for over a year. If this law passes it sets a dangerous precedence for other states to follow.
Haven't those government goons learned anything from the prohibition?

Exactly! The net result is the creation of a Black Market which will eventually be worse than the demon they are trying to slay. The tide will turn, but it may be ugly in the meanwhile.

VelvetA

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been following this Indiana debacle for over a year. If this law passes it sets a dangerous precedence for other states to follow.
If you've been following this for a year, you'd know that the original bill already passed almost a year ago. And the latest one which only amends one provision for the security requirements (to allow 1 company to quality) had already been passed by the legislature at the beginning of March and was signed into law back in March. It's all a done deal.

The only hope on the horizon lies in two lawsuits that have been filed - one in state court, one in federal - but there aren't any updates on either as of yet.

VU Sponsors