Become a Patron!

Info or Thoughts on FA Marzipan?

kmpopsicle

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've looked through all the posts but didn't see anything on it. And thank you HIC for your excellent FA flavor info You've led me to some wonderful flavors! Do you or anyone have any notes/thoughts about the Marzipan? I'm trying to decide between that and Torrone to add to my next order. I keep reading about citrus notes in the Torrone and that is scares me a bit since I don't particularly care for citrus vapes. Thanks in advance for any info!

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Ahh, another flavor I thought I'd posted notes about, but haven't.

I'll bet Marzipan would be your preference, but here's a quick description of both.

FA Marzipan: 2-3% standalone. This is one of FA's sweetest flavor, the flavor of sweetened bitter-almond (as opposed to sweet almond, which is what Americans expect of almond extract, which is the flavor of FA Almond). Bitter almond is the distinctive flavor in amaretto liqueur. Real marzipan can be sweetened with sugar, corn syrup, honey, other sweeteners, or combinations. FA Marzipan tastes like marzipan made with sugar and a little honey. That hint of honey flavor in it often disappears when you mix with other flavors, but of course you can add FA Honey to emphasize it. In recipes with FA Marzipan, you'll often get a toasted-almond effect - so it's great for bakery recipes. When you mix with it, think of Marzipan as almond meal with lots of sugar and honey, lightly toasted. By the way, if you want amaretto liqueur, here is the recipe.

FA Torrone: 2-3% standalone. This is the flavor of the soft version of Italy's favorite candy, 'nougat'. It's a little less sweet than Marzipan, but still one of FA's sweeter flavors. Italian torrone was the inspiration for 3 Musketeers and other 'nougat' candy bars (though American candies usually omit honey and add barley-type sweeteners). The real stuff nearly always includes lots of honey and almond meal, plus egg whites, then various flavorings: almond extract, and orange (sometimes lemon) zest. FA's version tastes like soft, chewy nougat of honey, almond meal, egg white, and some citrus zest. Yes, that citrus zest is there, but not so much that I've been able to figure out if it's lemon, orange, or a combination. The best way to use Torrone is like an Italian would. Add your favorite fruit and nut flavors to make a complete torrone candy, like this one.

Both are almondy, both sweet, torrone has more honey, marzipan has more sugar, torrone has raw almond flavor, marzipan has bitter-almond that can taste toasted at times. Torrone has a little citrus and is overall a 'sharper' flavor than marzipan. Marzipan in bakery recipes; torrone in candy recipes.

Hope something here helps; sorry it's not as organized as I'd like!

kmpopsicle

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thank you so much for that! You answered every question I had. I added the Torrone to my Bull City order today. Something about it keeps tugging at me. I have a few incomplete mixes that your description just seems to fit, even with the citrus note that scared me. The marzipan won't be far behind though, next order! I've been really happy with fa, very happy. Thank you for all the great information!

Barbara E.

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I just wanted to add my thanks to HIC - your posts regarding FA flavorings have been invaluable. But I suspect my taste buds haven't recovered very well - I tend to use a bit more flavoring than you do. (Or maybe because I generally mix at 50/50.) In any case, your posts give me a great starting point and have saved me quite a bit of time.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
But I suspect my taste buds haven't recovered very well - I tend to use a bit more flavoring than you do. (Or maybe because I generally mix at 50/50.) In any case, your posts give me a great starting point and have saved me quite a bit of time.

A lot of people find my numbers too light for them, so don't think there's something wrong with that. Hopefully using my standalone percents as relative numbers and recipes as ratios of flavors can still work for anyone who can vape more flavoring than I do.

VU Sponsors