Become a Patron!

Is a .25 ohm dual coil build safe on a mech mod?

Maykoll

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have a Samsung 25r battery and a couple MXJO 35a batteries am I in the clear? My mech mods are a authentic Manhattan v2 and a tugboat v1 both with freak show minis.

TF Vaping

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm running a .13 dual build right now on the same batteries in my Dimitri. When using these batteries you really don't have a 100% "safe" operation. Even at 1ohm they can still blow up, while the likelihood is very low it can happen. I'd say you are more than fine at a quarter ohm setup.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Both of those are 20-amp batteries. A .25, assuming no voltage drop, pulls a little over 16amps. 15 on a fresh battery, if you want to be realistic. So yes, it's a reasonable fit for either of those batteries.

Generally, you can even push slightly past the continuous limit. It's just not advisable as it leaves you no safety margin, should something go wrong and tends to lead to diminished charge cycles, more voltage sag, and capacity loss. That's why the general thinking is to stay a little below the continuous rating, where the battery is known to run at a safe, none-too-damaging temperature even if it is discharged at that rate continuously.

The general rule of thumb is that if your battery is getting extremely hot, whether you're under or over the amp limit, you're gonna have a bad time. So long as they are generally running cool, you shouldn't have too much to worry about it.

Brush up on your ohms law and you won't have to be so uncertain about how hard you are pushing your batteries. Know what your batteries can handle according to actual testing, not just published ratings. When in doubt, use http://www.steam-engine.org/batt.asp to check your amp load. You can use this chart as a starting point for researching different batteries. Google is your friend for learning more about specific batteries and how they hold up compared to the numbers as well as other batteries.

Remember, it is your responsibility to use the tools available to you to put your safety into your own hands.

Last edited:

Rangertrix

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Ok.......... So I'm going to be "that" guy. I'm old, its what I do. Don't shoot the messenger. This is merely constructive criticism.
That said, if you have to ask this question then I would suggest that you revisit the information on battery safety, ohm's law, etc. and brush up on everything.
You would be pushing about 64 watts at 16 amps.
That being said, see twizt3dfuc's and robot zombie's posts.
Happy vaping, be safe.

Maykoll

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Im still learning. Right now my general knowledge is on battery safety. I've never been passed .8 ohms where I generally feel comfortable. Im still new at building so I just would rather be safe than sorry. Thanks guys! I appreciate it.

Rangertrix

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Ask away! I do. That's what the forum is for. I'm glad the good folks here were able to help. There's a lot of great info and very knowledgeable people here.
You might search for some of the apps that are available to help you along and make things easier for you, such as steam engine, vaper's toolbox, etc.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@robot zombie has great advice - 0.25 is okay, I wouldn't go a whole lot lower.

But since you're still learning and so far have mastered 0.8, why not try 0.6 or 0.5 on your way down? 0.25 might end up being a bit hot for your tastes anyway.

fat fingered flubs courtesy dumb mobile phone

Maykoll

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ask away! I do. That's what the forum is for. I'm glad the good folks here were able to help. There's a lot of great info and very knowledgeable people here.
You might search for some of the apps that are available to help you along and make things easier for you, such as steam engine, vaper's toolbox, etc.
Z
Sadly I have a windows phone and yeah I've learned a lot more the two days I've been on this forum.

Maykoll

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@robot zombie has great advice - 0.25 is okay, I wouldn't go a whole lot lower.

But since you're still learning and so far have mastered 0.8, why not try 0.6 or 0.5 on your way down? 0.25 might end up being a bit hot for your tastes anyway.

fat fingered flubs courtesy dumb mobile phone
Hmmm good Idea. Low ohms like that are usually just for cloud chasing right? Dont get me wrong I like clouds but I think flavor is a lot more important.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's all subjective based on your build - I've used coils that produce great flavor anywhere from 0.3 to 0.8 at wattages anywhere from 30 to 70...my main point is to creep along to see where, in your own opinion, things stop getting better and start getting worse. The sweet spot is different for everyone.

ronald.gwathney

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hmmm good Idea. Low ohms like that are usually just for cloud chasing right? Dont get me wrong I like clouds but I think flavor is a lot more important.
How about clouds and flavor @ the same time.....single coil 22 Gage kanthol....10 wraps on a 5/32 I.D. brings us in at .8 ohms.....pushing 7.7 volts on a mechanical series box mod.....that'll do just fine

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors