Become a Patron!

Is it still safe to use?

Igorhatesyou

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So like a few months ago I made a post about possibly braking a mod of mine. Well I got another one, and as I was replacing the batteries to charge. I saw this on one of the connectors where the battery goes for the negative spot.

Attachments

• 20170202_173019.jpg
    20170202_173019.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 35

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Can't tell much, pic is blurry?

Igorhatesyou

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Here some more shots of it.

Attachments

• 20170202_185414.jpg
    20170202_185414.jpg
    379.8 KB · Views: 26

Whiskeywarrior

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That's definitely an arc burn. We're you using the right batteries and we're they paired?

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The contact is just a piece of metal so it doesn't matter if it has a little hole in it (unless I'm seeing wrong and that's actually a little bulge).
There is still the question of how this happened and why.

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Looks like the plating is coming off the contact and more seperations and cracking on the left terminal with an arcing point on the bottom right of that terminal and on the right terminal you have an arc point as well on the left side of the right terminal from that second picture. I'd be inspecting the covering wrap on your batteries for tears and nicks, especially any at the top of the battery. You are getting arcing for certain upon battery insert or removal which is not good at all. Just sliding a battery in and forcing it into place can cause this type of issue. If those are the spring loaded contacts you need to be inserting the batteries touching those first then press down and seat the other end of the battery.

As it stands right now, from my end you are looking to need to re-wrap your batteries, maybe even sanding those contacts down to clean them up get down to the base metal of those contacts, especially that left terminal. Though personally I'd be looking to replace the contacts or get another mod, that left contact is just going to cause damage and more issues without being addressed properly.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I'll be damned if that doesn't look like an air bubble in the metal! I used to see this sometimes when spinning the first runs on molds, before the mold heated to running temperature. It really shouldn't hurt anything other than the looks though, unless you start to see burn marks or discoloration. LOL Lucky you.. they might make those 10,000 at a time and you got the ONE with an air bubble. :)

I would email the manufacturer, with the pic. Just ask if they can send you a new negative plate, as it appears there was an air bubble in the metal when it was formed. Never hurt to ask, right?

VU Sponsors