Become a Patron!

Is it worth getting a subtank mini for a beginner to learn to build on?

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi people.

My fiancee really likes my lemo V2, but for now wants to use the nautilus as it is keeping her cravings at bay (2 days no stinkies now! Woppee for her lol)

I always liked the look of the subtank, so was thinking of getting her one of those to learn on, and maybe one for myself at the same time?

Main things is does it leak, as we want a take she can put (upright) in her bag that wont soak it, like my Lemo V2 does not leak.

Is the subtank mini a good tank? We was going to get black and white ones so we dont get them confused.

They will only cost £16 for 2, so at that price, £8 a tank, with the RBA included, do you think they are worth it?

I think at that price they are a steal, but if they are crap I won't get one for me and her.

Thanks people, Conan.

ren.dnb

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey @conanthewarrior !

The subtank mini is what I learned to build on and it was a nice deck to get my feet wet when it came to building. I had some leaking issues with my first one which I bought in February this year. Those cleared up when I switched to 100% VG juice. Since then I had no leaking issues with it. I did buy a new one in July which I've only used a few times before I went RTA/RDA. That one didn't leak on me at all but then again, I also still use 100% VG juice. That being said I've heard they improved the gaskets on the newer ones, and even changed the AFC to be on both sides.

Personally I say do it lol if the price is right!

But if she likes the Lemo, why not just get her one of those?

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
well i love mine, but as to leaking. Anything leaks. yeah i get the occasional drops on my mod from it. but not like it just empties half a tank out. Usually its from the tank getting unscrewed slightly from going in and out of my pocket. I wouldn't worry about leaking with it.

The rba deck is the only thing I built coils on so far and figured it out using it.

MAKE SURE you get a v2 not a v1. the v1 does not wick as well without modifying the rba deck

V2 has 2 holes in the rba decks chimney and the chimney is secured with a screw to the base.

Also the airflow holes on the base have 2 slots opposite of each other on V2 while theres only one air flow vent on the V1

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Well, I can tell you that mine does not leak.

And when you look at the Subtank RBA heads, it may look like they are difficult to build, they are really simple.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
These are definitely the V2's. I am going to get her a lemo eventually :) But want to get her building on her RDA and this first, when she has that down I will shell out for a proper lemo V2.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Will get myself one too, going to get one in black and one in white, so we don't get them confused. Looks like a fairly simple RBA to build on, how is flavour with this tank? I usually use a thinner drip tip than provided as it seems to give more flavour.

Im also getting into micro coils, and the minimum power I can use to get great flavour and OK clouds. My orchid from my frined Bondo is dual micro coil, and I can use it at 14 watts, 17 max really or dry hits, but 14.5 watts is the sweet spot with my current juice. That is only 7.25 watts a coil!

I understand this isn't for that, its more for sub ohming and clouds, but for £8 each I think they are well worth it, especially as she wants one as she 'likes the look of it' in white. I will have black as most of my devices are black.

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have never had a leak with my Subtank. Great RTA to learn with. They're built like Sherman tanks and you can take them anywhere without worry. Easy to refill. Easy to get to the RBA to burn and re-wick without emptying your tank. Easy to coil with plenty of room and ease of trapping wire. Kanger even sells pre-made coils that drop right in place if you need some until you feel comfortable with your own builds(I think 2 come with the tank). Perfect grab and go tank. I say BUY IT!

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I think the subtanks are great for someone who wants to get into rebuilding, one of the easiest RBA's to build on.

I have 3 subtank mini's and none of them leak with the RBA's, I did get a small amount of leaking using the stock coils, but that could be because I use 50/50 juice.

Only thing is, you say they are 8 pounds each, which either you got them on a really good sale, or they are clones, and if they are clones, then might have problems, I bought some subtank mini RBA v2 clones and they went on the trash, as they was trash.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think the subtanks are great for someone who wants to get into rebuilding, one of the easiest RBA's to build on.

I have 3 subtank mini's and none of them leak with the RBA's, I did get a small amount of leaking using the stock coils, but that could be because I use 50/50 juice.

Only thing is, you say they are 8 pounds each, which either you got them on a really good sale, or they are clones, and if they are clones, then might have problems, I bought some subtank mini RBA v2 clones and they went on the trash, as they was trash.
You are correct, they are the most expensive clone on fasttech though, and they look identical. It is mainly for cheyenne to learn to build, but at that price I was thinking why not? They are made in China anyway, so may not be any real difference was my thinking.

If it turns out they are trash, I know never to buy a clone tank, I just thought I would chance it this time as all my tanks are genuine, I thought why not try a clone this time? Get 2 for less than 1 genuine?

It looks a high quality clone from the pictures,

If it turns out to be trash, fair enough, and I have not lost much. But if it turns out good, I got a subtank for £8 :).

Sorry it is NOT the most expensive clone, but I THINK they are the same https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10012000/2826100-subtank-mini-v2-styled-occ-clearomizer

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Actually about 20 pounds for 2. More of an experiment to see if they work well, if not its only £20 so not the end of the world, if they work well, even better :)

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have wondered, if some clones, as some RDA's I have are so high quality, if they are doing what Epiphone did a few years ago.

The majority of guitars went out the front, to epiphone, say 1000. BUT They would make 1200, and the extra 200 they would sell out the back, so instead of getting a very low wage and percentage, they got a MUCH higher percentage selling them, even though they was selling them for much cheaper.

I see no reason that couldn't happen in vaping, as they would make more money for themselves, and that is why certain clones are 100% compatible with spare parts from the original manufacturer.

This is just my speculation, of course though.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have noticed fastech have an A clone, which is most expensive, a B clone, which is second, and a C clone, which is least expensive.

They come with the same things, so is the A higher quality or are they all the same?

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've had tons of clones from fasttech, RBA's and mods, and some are good, some not so good.

Will say if they are using the same RBA base in that subtank, as the ones they sell on their own, good luck, as I bought 5 of the RBA bases and none of them was much good, bad deck screws, screw to hold the chimney on did not hold the chimney on, and had connection problems, as the positive post wouldn't screw to the 510 pin properly, but you may get lucky :)

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The problem with a clone tank is... it's a far more complicated beast than an RDA. The different levels do indicate different levels of fit and finish, and fit is exactly where you're going to get leaking issues.

This is not Epi. For 20 quid... just buy her an authentic. You don't need one, you just want one. :p
I know I don't need one, but wanting is just as bad lol! 3 weeks time you will find out if they are awful or good lol, I can't afford £40 this weekend, usually I could buy 2 genuine but I owe some money for the IPV D2.

If they turn out good, result. If they turn out awful, lesson learned, and `i will buy 2 genuine ones when I can afford them :).

I will get the top quality clone then , the slightly more expensive one.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The key to success on Fasttech is to read the reviews! If there are quite a few, and they're good, go for it. Otherwise assume the worst :)
Ahh, 5 stars for them! Good sign that is! 14 reviews on one, 9 on the other, one says it works better than the genuine article.

I think I will give them a try after seeing the reviews :). I will order a silver one for her and a black one for me, the white one wasn't available in a quality clone.

kennjbroas

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Hi people.

My fiancee really likes my lemo V2, but for now wants to use the nautilus as it is keeping her cravings at bay (2 days no stinkies now! Woppee for her lol)

I always liked the look of the subtank, so was thinking of getting her one of those to learn on, and maybe one for myself at the same time?

Main things is does it leak, as we want a take she can put (upright) in her bag that wont soak it, like my Lemo V2 does not leak.

Is the subtank mini a good tank? We was going to get black and white ones so we dont get them confused.

They will only cost £16 for 2, so at that price, £8 a tank, with the RBA included, do you think they are worth it?

I think at that price they are a steal, but if they are crap I won't get one for me and her.

Thanks people, Conan.

Definitely a good subtank. Im only on my 4th week of vaping and its DOPE! Started off with the ego one mega and hated it. Read reviews, watched youtube vids and what they say is true. Definitely will recommend for a beginner.

As your a experienced vaper (im guessing) you can show your fiancee everything you know.

Go get it!

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Definitely a good subtank. Im only on my 4th week of vaping and its DOPE! Started off with the ego one mega and hated it. Read reviews, watched youtube vids and what they say is true. Definitely will recommend for a beginner.

As your a experienced vaper (im guessing) you can show your fiancee everything you know.

Go get it!
Thanks man, is yours one of the good clones? I've put the ones with great reviews in my basket, and a genuine kanger glass for each tank in blue and purple for me and her, might tighten it up even more tolerence wise. I am going to try the stock glass first, I am only getting a spare as coming from China, I wouldn't want one to be broken.

I guess I am experienced now lol, I learnt pretty quick if I am honest. I started a few years ago on EGO's and CE4,s and gave up cigs avout 10 months ago. I had issues with my fiancee (Sorted now, she wasn't well) and I nearly went back to the stinkies 4/5 months ago. I bought a sig30Mini and nautilus instead, and here we are.

Now I got 5 regulated mods, a good few drippers and tanks(rebuildable, the only non rebuildable was the nautilus, I find coil building kind of therapeutic) and a mech on the way, and many juices, home made and from other sources so guess I do know quite a bit, I know a lot about batteries, how many winds to make a coil round a certain sized driver to get to a certain resistance, and tend to get a bit obsessed over things. My mum is sure I am high functioning but on the spectrum lol, she says all these things you remember, a normal person can't remember the same as you, I think they can but I know the serial numbers to my batteries and things like that lol.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Go get it!
Forgot to add, she made here first coil a few weeks ago! Only a 1.6Ohm(I think it was that) for her mutation x V4, but it worked! For now she is using the nautilus as its helping her stop the stinkies, but she likes the direct to lung thing my tanks can do, so she wants that, so for the price if I can get 2 working tanks, great. If not, I will just get her a subtank in the near future as I can not afford 2 originals right now.

kennjbroas

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Thanks man, is yours one of the good clones? I've put the ones with great reviews in my basket, and a genuine kanger glass for each tank in blue and purple for me and her, might tighten it up even more tolerence wise. I am going to try the stock glass first, I am only getting a spare as coming from China, I wouldn't want one to be broken.

I guess I am experienced now lol, I learnt pretty quick if I am honest. I started a few years ago on EGO's and CE4,s and gave up cigs avout 10 months ago. I had issues with my fiancee (Sorted now, she wasn't well) and I nearly went back to the stinkies 4/5 months ago. I bought a sig30Mini and nautilus instead, and here we are.

Now I got 5 regulated mods, a good few drippers and tanks(rebuildable, the only non rebuildable was the nautilus, I find coil building kind of therapeutic) and a mech on the way, and many juices, home made and from other sources so guess I do know quite a bit, I know a lot about batteries, how many winds to make a coil round a certain sized driver to get to a certain resistance, and tend to get a bit obsessed over things. My mum is sure I am high functioning but on the spectrum lol, she says all these things you remember, a normal person can't remember the same as you, I think they can but I know the serial numbers to my batteries and things like that lol.

Nope, ive got the authentic one. Confirmed it and everything. Wife bought it for me for my birthday.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Clones in general can give you more problems (I have a few). I'm not anti clone or anything, but if I was buying a tank for someone new to learn to build on, I'd get them an original. If I have problems it's not a big deal, but someone new might get frustrated and give up.Why not just get one original and get yourself a clone at a later date since your more experienced and can deal better with the little hiccups. Just a thought.

kennjbroas

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Clones in general can give you more problems (I have a few). I'm not anti clone or anything, but if I was buying a tank for someone new to learn to build on, I'd get them an original. If I have problems it's not a big deal, but someone new might get frustrated and give up.Why not just get one original and get yourself a clone at a later date since your more experienced and can deal better with the little hiccups. Just a thought.

Whats the difference with clones though?
Are they fake?

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I agree. I have a couple of clones and one on the way from Fasttech. When you buy a clone you need to be prepared to possibly change out orings or possibly change out screws and more. If you buy a clone you will never know if you did something wrong or if it's the clone causing problems. Clones will generally needs pulled apart completely to be thoroughly cleaned of burrs and/or machine oil. Save the extra bucks and get an original Subtank. Once you have a better comprehension on how a RTA works then clones make more sense because you can try different styles for half the price. I've spent plenty of time pulling my hair out getting a clone to do it's job. Here's a good clone from Fasttech (not for a beginner) but it needs a lot of attention up front. https://www.fasttech.com/product/2172500

VapeDogg22

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi people.

Thanks people, Conan.

I have both the kangertech subtank mini and the subtank nano. My mini leaks sometimes but the nano hasn't leaked yet.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah you're right, the nano doesn't take the RBA.
Ahh, I thought not. I only really want it for the rebuildable aspect, mainly for cheyenne to learn on (She has a mutation X V4 for this also, made her first coil around a month ago, but as you know she was not well then and is now, so needs to be re taught how to make one safely).

She is using my lemo for 2 days, due to the immense airfow being similar to breathing, and not like sucking a straw up like the nautilus is. This is due to her havig a tooth extracted 2 days ago. We put her 5MG juice in, and it was making her choke, I said let me have a go, and MY GOD. Even 5MG was FAR too much. She is successfully using 3MG in the lemo.

Another reason for the subtank, using lower strength nicotine, even with the nautilus 14-20 pulls she was satisfied and could take no more at 6MG, I hope 3 is enough and she does not need 4? She is coming from a extremely light habit(5 roll ups a day, occasionally tailored but usually roll ups, and she would only smoke half before throwing, I did not realise. It comes from when I smoked, we would share a cigarette half each), she did quit sometime last year, but had some issues that are now sorted, and she can see things rationally now.

If we can get from 6MG to 3MG she will be extremely happy. Last night when the 3MG worked she was smiling and so glad she needs such a small level in that tank to satisfy her.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If I think of my 40+ years smoking straights and I'm happy with 6mg (though presumably more mils a day), I'd think even 3mg would be high if she's taking more to lung hitting.
Ahh Ok man, it is only for 2 days she is using the Lemo, then going back to the nautilus, its just due to not being able to use a straw, so I gave her a wide drip tip and wide open airflow and its just like breathing with your mouth half open. Much less pressure than a straw.

She does like the mouth to lung thing though, so I was going to get the subtank mini so she can do this (and one for myself as I have alway wanted one lol).

Also, are there any tanks in a similar price range to the lemo V2 that out perform it? £30 would be around my limit( Not this payday, as I owe my mum £60 she lent for getting the D2, I have to but metal gear:The phantom pain, will be first game I have bought myself on or near release day, and the subtank clones use up my money.

If they turn out turd, its less than £20 so not much to lose, but if they do work well, and the reviews for them are great, bonus! It is a 1:1 clone that can take genuine kanger replacement parts, so I think it is a good copy. I am getting the highest quality clone, not the 'B' or 'C' Model, as there is only about £3 difference from the c model to the top of the range clone. It includes everything the original does, even down to the box spares lol.

Only thing is, the black one I am getting apparently the black chips off fairly easily. I hear this happens on the real thing also though?

I am getting the missus Stainless steel as that is the one she likes, I cant chose between black or white, but was thinking all of my devices are black except the sig30mini, so I think black is the one to get.

Last edited:

pakman

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I have the original subtank mini but bought the new mini rba plus. Also had to replace the airflow base with the v2 because the old one fell apart. Personally I like the old airflow base because I feel it gave me more flavor. Anyway the new rba section is a lot easier to wick without having dry hit issues for beginners.

Overall the I think it's great to learn how to rebuild and if you get lazy or in a rush you can use the premade replacement coils.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors