Become a Patron!

is my clapton too much?

epemullen

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
i am using clapton with inner 24g kanthalA1 and 26g SS316L for the wraps, inner diameter is 2.5mm and 5 wrap each coil running in 0.24ohm usually with 80watt more or less. i found that my rda gets hot in just a couple of drag maybe 6-9 drag. is my clapton too much? it gets hot really fast and drained my battery.. or its my rda? i am using Twisted Messes 24 CLONE for the RDA

thanks!

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
26g is core wire. Imo if you can't get your hit in under 2 seconds something is wrong.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The problem is the amount of wire used to make your builds........ really nothing more of a case of excess junk in the trunk.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

C4rlosuk

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
i am using clapton with inner 24g kanthalA1 and 26g SS316L for the wraps, inner diameter is 2.5mm and 5 wrap each coil running in 0.24ohm usually with 80watt more or less. i found that my rda gets hot in just a couple of drag maybe 6-9 drag. is my clapton too much? it gets hot really fast and drained my battery.. or its my rda? i am using Twisted Messes 24 CLONE for the RDA

thanks!
Hi

Do you have any 32g or smaller?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
26 is too heavy for a wrap on 24..... and SS is lower resistance thn kanthal.. so SS make a bad wrap for kanthal. Most use 30 or smaller wire fr wraps.

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
SS, nichrome, K A1 and K D are all fine wraps for kanthal.
30g is core wire and 32g is multicore wire.
34g works but it's still massive. 36g and up is where it's at.

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
26 is too heavy for a wrap on 24..... and SS is lower resistance thn kanthal.. so SS make a bad wrap for kanthal. Most use 30 or smaller wire fr wraps.

Why does the resistance of the wrapper matter as you mentioned?

OP, 32 gauge wrap at the most. The 26 gauge wrap is just eating your batteries.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Why does the resistance of the wrapper matter as you mentioned?

OP, 32 gauge wrap at the most. The 26 gauge wrap is just eating your batteries.
Because if the resistance of the wrapper is less than or even close to the core. It will carry the load. Granted wrapping does fix that. But you still have to take it into consideration.

The wrap unless electrically isolated does affect the resistance. Just in a very limited manner.

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Because if the resistance of the wrapper is less than or even close to the core. It will carry the load. Granted wrapping does fix that. But you still have to take it into consideration.

The wrap unless electrically isolated does affect the resistance. Just in a very limited manner.

Certainly it affects the resistance. But, as you said, in a limited manner. And, if the coil has spaced wraps, it will not affect a thing. Still do not see a reason not to use ss as the wrapper. Very little of your current is using the outer wraps. Even if the outer wrap is of a lower resistance per foot (per gauge).

Threw the numbers in a random coil on steam engine with 24g kanthal core and 26g wrappers as per the OP. Kanthal wrapped kanthal had resistance of .8 and ss wrapped kanthal had resistance of 0.76. Pretty un-substantial difference to me. Would be even less of a difference with an appropriate gauge of outer wrap.

Thought maybe there was another reason.

epemullen

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
26g is core wire. Imo if you can't get your hit in under 2 seconds something is wrong.
i can get a hit under 2 seconds, but i have to use it in 115W and i can still have the same problem for 3 or 4 drag each drag at under 2 seconds. i think the conclusion it is too much, but how about those who use above 100W since mods are 150W and more nowadays..

epemullen

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
and, why is that the smaller the better? since whiteowl84 said 36g is the perfect one for learning.. im starting to learn building coils with 24g and then 26g, so idont know whats the deal with the smaller wire and get more ressistance..

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It's a wrap...it doesn't change the resistance. Smaller is better because the wrap acts like a heatsink, the core dumps it's heat into it. Smaller wire also means more wraps so there are more grooves. Finally it just takes too much tension to do clean fused builds with 34g. It makes the cores twist when you pull against it.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My GOD 26g wrapper!
Hell yes your RDA is going to get hot, it's going to have an insane ramp up time and retain heat like an oven.

Never use any thicker wire than 34g, I'll use that on 22g-24g. My basic wrapping wire is 36g and 38g, sometimes 40g or 44g.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
From my research It's very much the materials you use when paired together. There will a sweet spot to be found with each 24,26,28 core then 32,34,36,38 outer

Since the outer is going to be heated by the core for the most part you need to ask yourself do I want the outer rapidly heating and cooling (higher gauge the better) or do I want a slower ramp up and slower cool down (thicker gauge). The aim is not to let the core do all of the work or you might as well not bother using claptons (so enough heat everywhere for surface area to heat juice to produce better clouds and flavour)

Bear this in mind OP, best bet is to search for wires and thier properties to understand whether they are suitable in power mode or temp mode also thier ramp up times...

Start with a gap of 10g between the inner and outer and see what suits you then Its a case of tweaking until your happy with it....also just because a coil set up tastes great in one RBA doesn't mean that is the right one for the next

epemullen

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
really i got more knowledge from you guys, thank you very much for the contribution in this thread... happy vaping guys, see you!

VIVA VU!

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You have a lot of metal involved in your coils, that metal is heated by the current through it. The heat energy has to dissipate somewhere (i.e. cool down). It is connected to your RDA posts so guess where it will dissipate/radiate out through...your RDA. The more metal mass you have in your coils the longer that takes and the hotter your RDA will get after a hit. Use less metal mass in your coils and the problem will be far less. Which as people have said means thinner core wires and thinner wrap wires.... = less metal mass in your coils.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
really i got more knowledge from you guys, thank you very much for the contribution in this thread... happy vaping guys, see you!

VIVA VU!

Happy to help buddy:cheers: make sure your core is what's in the post when you screw it that way you get a good reliable ohm reading rather than the outer

Also look up fused clapton supposed to be even better ... basically a dual core with a wrap gonna try a parallel dual core myself at some point! As turtles said though gonna make your RBA an oven though

Always use an ohm reader before dry firing safety first and all that ;)

Also use the below link... click on the paper clip when in there before you make any build, it will tell you wraps etc after you insert your wires, set up etc

http://www.steam-engine.org/

Last edited:

VU Sponsors