VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Is the Tide Turning? Acceptable Use Policy Changes Become Effective July 1

THE HARD COPY:

If you haven’t yet heard, PayPal appears to be taking cautious but decisive action regarding its policy on ecigarettes. Changes to the acceptable use policy have been announced, and will become effective in just over two months on July 1:

“The Acceptable Use Policy currently prohibits use of PayPal for activities that violate applicable law or industry regulations regarding the sale of tobacco products or prescription drugs and devices. We’re replacing that prohibition with new policy language covering these types of items, as well as e-cigarettes. Under the new language, use of PayPal for cigarette transactions will be prohibited. In addition, merchants will be permitted to use PayPal for sales of non-cigarette tobacco products, e-cigarettes, and prescription drugs and devices only with PayPal’s pre-approval.

While it remains to be seen exactly how stringent the pre-approval process will be, it looks like a step in the right direction for vendors and purchasers of vaping products.

For more information about the upcoming policy changes:
https://www.paypal.com/va/webapps/mpp/ua/upcoming-policies-full
282 total views, 282 views today

Click here to get more information on this deal....

Sully

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Pre-approval sounds exactly like what the FDA want's to do to! I'm not convinced this is a step in the right direction. More like a step in the FDA and regulation direction...they want to protect themselves and leave the door open for products that get FDA approval...just my take on it...

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years

Is the Tide Turning? Acceptable Use Policy Changes Become Effective July 1

THE HARD COPY:

If you haven’t yet heard, PayPal appears to be taking cautious but decisive action regarding its policy on ecigarettes. Changes to the acceptable use policy have been announced, and will become effective in just over two months on July 1:

“The Acceptable Use Policy currently prohibits use of PayPal for activities that violate applicable law or industry regulations regarding the sale of tobacco products or prescription drugs and devices. We’re replacing that prohibition with new policy language covering these types of items, as well as e-cigarettes. Under the new language, use of PayPal for cigarette transactions will be prohibited. In addition, merchants will be permitted to use PayPal for sales of non-cigarette tobacco products, e-cigarettes, and prescription drugs and devices only with PayPal’s pre-approval.

While it remains to be seen exactly how stringent the pre-approval process will be, it looks like a step in the right direction for vendors and purchasers of vaping products.

For more information about the upcoming policy changes:
https://www.paypal.com/va/webapps/mpp/ua/upcoming-policies-full
282 total views, 282 views today

Click here to get more information on this deal....

I think this could be a good thing.. the pre approval does make one think.. but i think its more geared to what and how much one spends as well as who sells what, as to their anti tobacco stance, I think they want to see the websites that are selling and make sure there is no tobacco sales..

maybe?

covering one's own but.. but maybe Ty is right and the tides are changing.. would be nice to use paypal on all sites for anything ecig related..

my quote: found down at the bottom of Ty's link...
Effective Date: Jul 1, 2015

We encourage you to carefully review this Policy Update to familiarise yourself with all of the changes that are being made to the PayPal Acceptable Use Policy.

1. Tobacco Products, E-cigarettes and Prescription Drugs and Devices
The Acceptable Use Policy currently prohibits use of PayPal for activities that violate applicable law or industry regulations regarding the sale of tobacco products or prescription drugs and devices. We're replacing that prohibition with new policy language covering these types of items, as well as e-cigarettes. Under the new language, use of PayPal for cigarette transactions will be prohibited. In addition, merchants will be permitted to use PayPal for sales of non-cigarette tobacco products, e-cigarettes, and prescription drugs and devices only with PayPal’s pre-approval.

The changes will be as follows:

• Section 5 under Prohibited Activities, which contains the current provisions related to tobacco products and prescription drugs and devices, will be removed.
  • A new Section 2(c) under Prohibited Activities will read as follows:
    • You may not use the PayPal service for activities that: … 2. relate to transactions involving … (c) cigarettes …
  • The relevant parts of the chart under Activities Requiring Approval will be revised to read as follows:
    • PayPal requires pre-approval to accept payments for certain services as detailed in the chart below.
Service Requiring Pre-Approval

Contact Information

… selling … non-cigarette tobacco products, e-cigarettes or prescription drugs/devices.

Please send contact information, business website URL and brief business summary to [email protected]

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Sounds like a step in the right direction. As it stands now, you have no recourse if a e-cig vendor who uses paypal rips you off. At least now you can tell if a vendor is approved to sell e-cigs through paypal and will be able to file a complaint if you get scammed.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Possibly good and bad news. If Paypal requires ecig vendors to register (pre-approval), that is simply a database of information that the feds and state governments will subpoena for taxation purposes on both the seller and buyers information.

Sully

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So in June, when, from everything I've read, the FDA expects to confirm their regulations, banning all products post-2007. E-cigs will be classified as tobacco products requiring millions of dollars of "pre-market" research to get a sinlge product approved, PayPal will be in compliance and will allow the FDA approved products to be bought/sold through their site.

Last edited:

Sully

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Sounds like a step in the right direction. As it stands now, you have no recourse if a e-cig vendor who uses paypal rips you off. At least now you can tell if a vendor is approved to sell e-cigs through paypal and will be able to file a complaint if you get scammed.
I got refunded through PayPal for an e-cig scammer just 2 month ago...

Joshua McCord

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
"Thank you for contacting PayPal regarding the policy update concerning pre-approval for e-cigarettes and liquids. At this time the pre-approval process only applies to merchants outside North America, Canada and Brazil. We apologize for any confusion."

Sully

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
"Thank you for contacting PayPal regarding the policy update concerning pre-approval for e-cigarettes and liquids. At this time the pre-approval process only applies to merchants outside North America, Canada and Brazil. We apologize for any confusion."
Worse than I thought...

nabibrian

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
why-i-use-paypal.jpg

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Honestly, I think sellers of e-cigarette product sellers could get more creative to route around Paypal restrictions, and take a page from Heatball's book: these guys bypass the EU ban on incandescent light bulbs by selling them as space heaters. Using the same trick, mod makers could declare they sell portable power supplies, RDA makers could sell portable hand warmers, RTA makers could sell portable nightclub fog generators, and no-nic juice makers could sell flavored nightclub fog generator liquid. Technically, Paypal would have nothing to go against them.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I disagree with this. I hate Paypal as much as the next guy, but I'd rather use Paypal to pay someone than sending them my credit card number and letting them charge whatever the fuck they want on it any day of the week. Hell, I'm even happy to pay them for the service.

nabibrian

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I disagree with this. I hate Paypal as much as the next guy, but I'd rather use Paypal to pay someone than sending them my credit card number and letting them charge whatever the fuck they want on it any day of the week. Hell, I'm even happy to pay them for the service.
Dear friend, I simply posted this image to be funny. I neither agree or disagree with it, simply to be funny is all...

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Isn't Paypal owned by EBay?

So eBay disallows ecigs and ecig equipment, Paypal refuses to process payments for ecig related equipment.

They both charge fees to use their services.

Why the hell would we want to line the pockets of companies who are against our cause, again? Its not like the government has banned or regulated the sale of pv's, so why then do these companies refuse to work with us? They have zero liability, so they're either in the pocket of big tobacco, or are on some nanny state bullshit.

Either way, they can make whatever policies they like, and I can choose to refuse to use their services... For anything. If they're a against us on this matter, them I'm against them completely.

I hope their stock prices plummet, their market share dwindles, and those in charge get a nice case of cancer.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Isn't Paypal owned by EBay?

So eBay disallows ecigs and ecig equipment, Paypal refuses to process payments for ecig related equipment.

They both charge fees to use their services.

Why the hell would we want to line the pockets of companies who are against our cause, again? Its not like the government has banned or regulated the sale of pv's, so why then do these companies refuse to work with us? They have zero liability, so they're either in the pocket of big tobacco, or are on some nanny state bullshit.

Either way, they can make whatever policies they like, and I can choose to refuse to use their services... For anything. If they're a against us on this matter, them I'm against them completely.

I hope their stock prices plummet, their market share dwindles, and those in charge get a nice case of cancer.
Not for long, Paypal is breaking off to form their own company.

VU Sponsors