Become a Patron!

Issues upgrading SX350j firmware

Heldar

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Alright, so here is the issue. Firmware somehow got corrupted on a custom made box with a SX350j. It will not switch out of joule mode and shows a lot of '&' symbols throughout some of the menus. It still fires, and can still adjust the joules, just cant switch back to wattage. So, figured no big deal, ill just re-flash the memory with a new firmware. Thats when the problems arrise. I have the SXI software installed, have the desired firmware, however the SXI software will not connect the device, and yes i did use the link mode of the chip. Also tried without, just to be sure. Since the device isnt recognized by the software, there is no way to install the USB drivers, and as such install the firmware.

Im currently running Windows 10, and when I connect to the computer windows simply pops up a warning saying the USB device is not recognized. Also, in the install directory of the SXI programs there is a log file named 'StdOut' which simply reads "The system cannot find the file specified." Pretty sure Windows 10 is the issue. Any thoughts or workarounds?

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Bummer.. I updated my sx mini twice and an IPV 4 with no problems. Because it almost worked once I'd suspect a bad SXI file. I know it's a pain but I'd download both files again, uninstall the current SXI file, reboot and reinstall everything and try again. I don't know witch files you use but the SXmini files are different than the files on YIHI's site and there not interchangeable. Because it's a custom mod I would assume you want the files from YIHI. If all else fails try it on a different computer. Good luck.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
For whatever reason I had a similar issue when I tried to update with win10,but I have another machine with win7.0 and that worked just fine.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I should mention that Win 10's new so I can't say for sure but I've had Win decide it doesn't like something and and it takes a kick in the butt to get it working

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Subscribed, no issues here but I would like to update to the Ti firmware and am having issues updating.

I have heard people suggest removing the battery to update, maybe try that? I haven't put much more than a few minutes of effort into it but want to get it done this weekend when I have some time to play with it.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
For whatever reason I had a similar issue when I tried to update with win10,but I have another machine with win7.0 and that worked just fine.
Sounds like the answer. That's why I have 2 computers running win 10 and kept win 7 on one and the computer I'm using now has XP just for problems like this.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Subscribed, no issues here but I would like to update to the Ti firmware and am having issues updating.

I have heard people suggest removing the battery to update, maybe try that? I haven't put much more than a few minutes of effort into it but want to get it done this weekend when I have some time to play with it.

That's true for my IPV but the J chip has a link mode so you need the battery in. How ever I'm speaking of the SXmini M not a custom mod so I could be talking out of the place the sun don't shine and adding to the confusion.

Heldar

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Update - I installed an old copy of Windows 7 on a different hard drive. Same issues. Windows throws up a 'failed to install drivers for USB' warning and the SXI software will not pick up the device.

Starting to think it might be some kind of odd conflict with Windows built in USB drivers.

Also, it is a fresh windows 7 install with just SP 1. Might need to update the OS.

Last edited:

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Update - I installed an old copy of Windows 7 on a different hard drive. Same issues. Windows throws up a 'failed to install drivers for USB' warning and the SXI software will not pick up the device.

Starting to think it might be some kind of odd conflict with Windows built in USB drivers.

Also, it is a fresh windows 7 install with just SP 1. Might need to update the OS.
I wonder if the failed upgrade corrupted the device so the driver (SXI) no longer knows what it is. Something you could try is take out the battery and while holding the fire button put the battery in. Keep holding the fire button and the mod should say SX350J and the version number. ie: v2.2 It may no longer know it's a J chip. Did you try contacting the mod maker for help? The only other thing I could suggest is to plug another YIHI chip device in and see if Win finds it. I used the same SXI program for the IPV and the SXmini only a different firmwear file.

Last edited:

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's true for my IPV but the J chip has a link mode so you need the battery in. How ever I'm speaking of the SXmini M not a custom mod so I could be talking out of the place the sun don't shine and adding to the confusion.

Yeah, I also have a mini m class and thats the mod that they were talking about when suggesting no battery.

I also read that you have to put it in link mode and had mentioned that and it was said to just remove battery.

I haven't gotten around to it yet but if it won't update in link mode, no battery is the next thing I'll try. Easy enough, why not.

Heldar

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ive tried link mode with batteries in, and the no battery methods. The version is sx350j v2.2. I have contacted the mod maker, hes a little spiffed over it too, but is looking into it. Also, i decided to do the upgrade because the firmware started acting weird after about 3-4 months of use.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I got nothing more to offer. Sorry I couldn't help. One other thing, it may sound condensing but are you sure your using a data cable,a lot of mod cables are charge only. I've been guilty of doing that.

VU Sponsors