Become a Patron!

Issues With Smok Q4 Coil Is This an Isolated Problem?

Blacksheepannie

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I recently purchased a 5 pack of Smok Q4 Quad coils for my Smok TFV4 Mini tank. Either I have a bad coil or Im not alone in the problem and need some help. I have been using the CLP 2 coils but after serious flooding issues found the TFS6 coils to be excellent. My local B&M shop said they may not be selling the older Smok coils and to upgrade my tank for $60 to a baby beast or similar. I have 2 good working tanks so I bought the 5 pack of quad coils for $20 he said are clearance and gave me a deal. I cleaned, installed, primed and broke in the 1st Q4 like I did the S6 for over a year now butt immediatly had these problems. Funny "machine oil" taste that did not go away even after several tanks full. Batteries were dying in 4 to 6 hours. Couldnt fire at 40% charge left on the readout. I use a Seigeli 100watt box mod. I noticed the ohm said 0.2 and the volts were 3.9 or 4.0v which I knew were going to be different than the S6 coils read. I can usually get to between 20% to 14% before needing batteries changed but with these coils at 40% only wimpy clouds were produced. I read the wattage could be 40 to 140 and found 60 to 70 watts so so but I didnt want to go higher due to fast battery drainage at 65 watts and the tank was getting really hot so I couldnt even keep my hand on the glass part.. On day 2 I noticed a dark ring of brown ejuice at the base of the tank when usually its a light yellowish color. I vape cloud 9 Pearl 9mg nicotine and not sure the PG/VG ratio but its the same I have used over a year and with S6 coils never an issue and I go 2 to 3 weeks between coil changes before. I vape 1-1/2 to 2 tanks per day. More on my days off but was at work with 2 or 3 hours between breaks so min 1-1/2 tanks cant recall tank size perhaps 3.5ml full. I brake in coils at 35watts then up 3 to 5 watts each time taking about 30 mins to get to the preferred wattage for me.It was better at 70-75 watts but way too hot and machine oil taste became stronger as it heated up. My batteries usually last 24 hours with the other coils but with these maybe 6 hours tops. I have 3 married sets of batteries and at least 2 sets ran out in the same time frame so i ruled out battery issues. I finally switched back to my Aspire tank and had 63% battery remaining which lasted another 12 hours. So burnt e juice, machine oil-like taste, fast battery drain, very hot tank and mod within 10 draws was becoming too much of a headache so other than keep the possible bad coil in I switched to my Atlantis 2 tank until I had some help from you guys. I have 4 more of these terrible coils and before ruining another i wanted to see if I may have done something wrong or is this going to be the normal performance of all the Smok Q4 coils? I like to help local businesses but does anyone know if the Smok coils for the TFV4 being discontinued or is the guy at our B&M just trying to make a sale? I have only a PO box as they dont have a rural mail route where I live and not every company will send vape supplies to a PO box. Is anyone familiar with the quadruple Smok coils that I can get help troubleshooting the problem? I do have 4 remaining and the one i installed was not attached to the blister pack like the other 4 were. The foil was intact it was just cut off the row. Thanks in advance for your help.

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
1. in terms of discontinuing he may simple be no longer interested in carry those coils...
2. 20 bucks is the going rate for smok coils whether a 5 pack or 3 pack for the tfv 8
3. i can say i had the same issues when i was a v4 user have since moved on too the v8 and v12
4.smok QA on there coils is a bit wonky i still get a coil ever 4 that need adjustment of some kind to work decently for at least 4 days
5. dark juice is normal and can happen from time to time.
6. the coil being a .2 would drain batteries fast
7. not all juices perform the same on different coils i have had some juices that were crap in a tank but great in an rda and vice versa.

VU Sponsors