Become a Patron!

Itchy Ass Dogs! Help!!!

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I know there are pet forums out there, but I'll take a shot here. Seems to be a wide variety of folks here. My dogs are scratching themselves (and me) crazy. I think it's allergies - either to fleas or something they're eating. I don't see fleas, though. They are rubbing their rump on anything they can. If they're not doing that, they're on their backs doing the bicycle. One of them has such dry skin and hair she's rolling herself a big matted mess. It's awful. I'm trying to rid their diet of wheat corn and otherwise cheap stuff first. If that doesn't work, chicken goes next. Anybody got a good supplement for fur and skin they can tell me about? Fish oil, flax, etc? I'm all ears if anybody has any anecdotal stories.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yep fleas and reacting to their bites, it's the time of year that they are looking for warm hosts, get the flea and tick meds on them stat

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I know there are pet forums out there, but I'll take a shot here. Seems to be a wide variety of folks here. My dogs are scratching themselves (and me) crazy. I think it's allergies - either to fleas or something they're eating. I don't see fleas, though. They are rubbing their rump on anything they can. If they're not doing that, they're on their backs doing the bicycle. One of them has such dry skin and hair she's rolling herself a big matted mess. It's awful. I'm trying to rid their diet of wheat corn and otherwise cheap stuff first. If that doesn't work, chicken goes next. Anybody got a good supplement for fur and skin they can tell me about? Fish oil, flax, etc? I'm all ears if anybody has any anecdotal stories.
My Huskies have some fleas this year they scratch they are monsters.. They ate a RDA the other day I found 3 drip tips in the mud

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ugh. I know. The flea meds went on two weeks ago, but they don't seem to be working. The one has such dry skin that Frontline doesn't spread well.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ugh. I know. The flea meds went on two weeks ago, but they don't seem to be working. The one has such dry skin that Frontline doesn't spread well.
Frontline is a odd thingy I never liked the idea it seems to kinda work but some of my Huskies are like wooley mammoths not helpy much

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
They now have the chewables, I switched all my dogs over to those
What do you use? Comfortis didn't work for me. My St Bernard mix was taking Sentinel Spectrum, which helps somewhat.

Last edited:

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Frontline is a odd thingy I never liked the idea it seems to kinda work but some of my Huskies are like wooley mammoths not helpy much
I have two undercoated monsters. One is a shepherd wolf hound mix and one is a St Bernard mix. Mixed with what, who knows. Fleas have a harder time getting to the skin, but once they get in there it's hard to get rid of them. They are majorly blowing fur right now too. I guess in prep for the winter fur

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Fleas: See above. Get a bottle of Cod Liver oil from the Pharmacy and give the dogs 1 Tblsp per day for a week after you kill the Fleas. It will fix their skin up pronto. Had this happen a couple times myself. Get a carpet steam cleaner and deep clean the carpets to get rid of those nasty asshole fleas.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Fleas: See above. Get a bottle of Cod Liver oil from the Pharmacy and give the dogs 1 Tblsp per day for a week after you kill the Fleas. It will fix their skin up pronto. Had this happen a couple times myself. Get a carpet steam cleaner and deep clean the carpets to get rid of those nasty asshole fleas.
I assume 1 TBSP a day applies to the big dogs. They are both 100+ pounds. The two smaller dogs are 25 and 35 pounds. Should they get that much or would a teaspoon be good? They are so picky about what they eat, I'd probably have to sneak it in.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I assume 1 TBSP a day applies to the big dogs. They are both 100+ pounds. The two smaller dogs are 25 and 35 pounds. Should they get that much or would a teaspoon be good? They are so picky about what they eat, I'd probably have to sneak it in.
1 tsb is good for smaller canines. They will snarf up Cod Liver oil like no tomorrow. You will see.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
1 tsb is good for smaller canines. They will snarf up Cod Liver oil like no tomorrow. You will see.
Well, they like chicken liver...
Not exactly cod, but next time I'm out I'll pick some cod liver oil up and give it a try.

MercuryVaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Nitenpyram, aka capstar. It will kill all fleas in about 20min. Use it with a monthly program and you will be free of fleas forever. It's safe enough to administer daily. When you see fleas on them, give them a dose. I had 4 dogs that were covered in fleas, I tried all of the above mentioned. This has been the only solution that has worked for ridding those nasty fleas...Could be your dog is reacting to dryer humidity levels. My dogs will get skin irritations during this transition time of year. I have used coconut oil lightly on the affected areas with good results.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just get a spider monkey. They will groom the dog and eat the ticks...

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Liked that idea so much I said it twice. LOL.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Nitenpyram, aka capstar. It will kill all fleas in about 20min. Use it with a monthly program and you will be free of fleas forever. It's safe enough to administer daily. When you see fleas on them, give them a dose. I had 4 dogs that were covered in fleas, I tried all of the above mentioned. This has been the only solution that has worked for ridding those nasty fleas...Could be your dog is reacting to dryer humidity levels. My dogs will get skin irritations during this transition time of year. I have used coconut oil lightly on the affected areas with good results.
Entirely possible. I think it's all of the above honestly. They're a mess.

MercuryVaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Entirely possible. I think it's all of the above honestly. They're a mess.
Lufenuron is what I use for a monthly, The Nitenpyram is a daily until the fleas come under more control. When used together you will slaughter the fleas. I don't buy the expensive name brands, I buy from ebay. Much cheaper...Fleas are horrible for you and your pets. Many diseases and skin irritations stem from flea bites.
I tried to post links for the products. It doesn't appear to be linking in the preview.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Lufenuron is what I use for a monthly, The Nitenpyram is a daily until the fleas come under more control. When used together you will slaughter the fleas. I don't buy the expensive name brands, I buy from ebay. Much cheaper...Fleas are horrible for you and your pets. Many diseases and skin irritations stem from flea bites.
I tried to post links for the products. It doesn't appear to be linking in the preview.

I've used capstar before when we had a terrible infestation of the cats. You could see them abandoning ship and dying. It's not that bad this time, but a few fleas can look like hundreds if an animals allergic. They react the same at least. I'll have to look up lufenuron.

MercuryVaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It's funny, when my dogs were infested they just gave up the scratching, it was sad, they excepted defeat. NOW though, if they have even one flea on them, they know it, and let me know. Even one flea on them and they go ape shit. Kinda funny really.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've used capstar before when we had a terrible infestation of the cats. You could see them abandoning ship and dying. It's not that bad this time, but a few fleas can look like hundreds if an animals allergic. They react the same at least. I'll have to look up lufenuron.
I just realized it sounded like we got infested with cats. :D
Meant flea infestation on the cats. :oops:

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just realized it sounded like we got infested with cats. :D
Meant flea infestation on the cats. :oops:
Some people might say I'm infested with cats though. I have 8. I like to say they're like Lay's potato chips. You can't have just one.

MercuryVaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I live in a rural area that backs up to a well traveled road. People just dump cats on the side of the road. I can't say how many cats we care for now, but it's more than enough.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I live in a rural area that backs up to a well traveled road. People just dump cats on the side of the road. I can't say how many cats we care for now, but it's more than enough.
It's terrible, but it happens in my county all the time too.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
When my Grandparents were alive and farming, they had a barn full of cats and a shed full of dogs that were discarded on the road near the farm. Damn shame people think of cats and dogs as disposable beings. My Grandpa's neighbor was a vet and a farmer and got the cats and dogs healthy, most of the dogs were mutts or Heinz 57 types, the cats came in all types from America short hair to Maine Koon cats. He adopted out as many as he could.

What I remember as funny was a Airdale Rottweiler mix named Lucas. He was a pointer and bird dog from the word go though not the breed for it, loved to go Pheasant hunting with me and Grandpa.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
When my Grandparents were alive and farming, they had a barn full of cats and a shed full of dogs that were discarded on the road near the farm. Damn shame people think of cats and dogs as disposable beings. My Grandpa's neighbor was a vet and a farmer and got the cats and dogs healthy, most of the dogs were mutts or Heinz 57 types, the cats came in all types from America short hair to Maine Koon cats. He adopted out as many as he could.

What I remember as funny was a Airdale Rottweiler mix named Lucas. He was a pointer and bird dog from the word go though not the breed for it, loved to go Pheasant hunting with me and Grandpa.
The vast majority of my furry companions have always been the discarded. I had 2 purebred St Bernards I paid for and one purebred chow we took because the person who paid for him didn't pick him up. My husband knew the breeder. The rest have all been shelter brats or dumpees. They sometimes have issues but I have a soft spot for the unwanted. Bad thing is, people know that and there is always someone telling me I need one more. It's hard to say I'm at my limit, but I'm forced to. I'm really over the limit already with food and vet costs.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

That is because we don't allow direct Ebay ad's to be posted here

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well, they're still itching, dammit. I did finally locate some brewers yeast ( must be the season - three stores were out) and some omega three oil to supplement their food, capstar pills and some hot spot spray. I couldnt find straight up cod liver oil. I cannot use topical flea meds at least on one of them because she is raw in a spot or two. If this three prong attack doesn't work, it's off to the vet for a steroid shot. I try to avoid them, but sometimes theyre needed. I feel so sorry for her.

VU Sponsors