Become a Patron!

Jimi's Daily Health Articles

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Get GreenMedInfo’s amazing, 287-page report, Science of Longevity, and learn what science says about why we age and what we can do to pull back the reins on Father Time!
GreenMedInfo-The-Science-of-Longevity-1.png

Download your FREE report on longevity below. You’ll also save a FREE seat for the Regenerate Yourself Masterclass, February 24 - March 1, 2020!

I am a health professional: Yes No

By submitting this form, I consent to receive offers and related promotional communications from the Regenerate Yourself Masterclass, the host and Health Talks Online. I can withdraw consent at any time. Your Privacy Rights

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Cut Out Booze for a Better Gut? Answers Inside

Every January 1st, nearly 20% of Americans commit to “Dry January,” or sparing their bodies from booze for the first month of the year.

Did you?

There are myriad articles written about the mental, physical, and emotional benefits of taking a break from boozing — permanent or temporary. We’ve written about it ourselves in terms of its regenerative effect on the organ systems of the body.

People can generally expect to see an improvement in sleep quality, weight loss, decreased blood pressure, lowered diabetes risk, less frequent bouts of sickness, and a liver on the way to repairing itself. Not to mention that you’re saving money, saving time, and increasing mental clarity.

But there’s another lens through which to view your body’s response to abstaining from alcohol.

Your digestion.

It’s not something habit-drinkers consider much, beyond remembering sometimes that beer and wine are fermented and fermentation is good for the gut, right?

Well… it’s not wrong. Fermentation makes for a healthier digestive system because fermented foods have already begun to break down before you even eat them.

What that means is when you do eat them, the food digests more easily, and your gut doesn’t have to work so hard at it, which reduces harmful sugars and inflammation.

But here’s where fermented alcohols are different: the acid in them cuts the effects of the fermentation.

Not only that… but alcohol is a toxin. Your body reacts to it like it would a poison.

That doesn’t mean you need to swear it off forever — the body is resilient and can handle and heal from most things in moderation.

Since we know how vital the gut’s microbiome is to just about every function of a human life…

You ought to know what mechanisms are moving inside the gut when you drink alcohol, should you choose to participate.

How You Digest Alcohol

Most people understand that drinking alcohol can damage the liver.

The reason? The liver’s job is to filter toxins out of the body. When it encounters alcohol, it has to metabolize the ethanol and becomes over-exerted if you’re a regular heavy drinker. When you stop drinking alcohol, you not only give the liver a break, you also allow it to filter other toxins in the body.

Now in the digestive system itself…

20% of the alcohol you ingest is absorbed by the stomach. The other 80% is absorbed through the small intestine.

Alcohol causes the stomach to produce too much gastric acid, causing stomach discomfort as the pH balance changes and in some cases gastritis.

Alcohol also damages the cells designated for food digestion, making eating a more difficult experience, and also thinning the lining of the stomach.

Finally, and perhaps with the most disastrous consequences, alcohol changes the composition of the microbiome. It feeds harmful bacteria and starves good bacteria. We know what happens next…

The gut becomes inflamed and the junctions connecting the intestines loosen, allowing outside bacteria in that doesn’t belong there, and inside bacteria to leak into the rest of the body.

So drinking alcohol regularly and in abundance can lead to leaky gut, irritated tummies, and poor digestion.

Is that the final word?

Should We Hammer the Last Nail?

Although studies vary — from allowing 14 units of alcohol every week per the NHS to newer studies claiming total abstinence is the only guaranteed safety — most people know what drinking too much feels like.

It feels like being bloated, brain-foggy, tired, craving carbs, anxious, and generally less manageable than sobriety feels.

Should you decide to continue to consume alcohol in moderation…

You definitely have options that won’t wreak havoc in your digestive system.

Red wine, for example, has been found to feed bacteria that promotes gut health, likely due to its polyphenol content, and reduce harmful gut bacteria, like Clostridium. Champagne also contains a high amount of phenolic acids, which feeds helpful bacteria. Whiskey is another alcohol with a heavy polyphenol count, as is beer (which also boasts B vitamins).

Gin, made from juniper berries, has not been confirmed as gut-healthy, but is certainly less destructive than other varieties.

Vodka, and other drinks that are mainly alcohol, are the worst alcohol you can drink for your gut health. It can only harm the gut.

The choice is yours.

But knowing what alcohol can do to the digestive tract, moderation and preventive, bolstering efforts would certainly be wise.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Jimi....I figured out the Nutmeg dilemma, I let one nut soak in water for a few days, Hell you could eat the nut like a grape if you wanted to.....so I just sliced the whole damn thing into pieces....:D

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
mail

Hi

I wanted to email you as soon as I could because I’ve discovered something absolutely incredible:

New breakthrough research has finally discovered how to reverse autoimmune disease - naturally.

It all boils down to reducing inflammation and getting rid of the toxic overload that’s present in the bodies of 99.8% of people who are battling autoimmunity.

And here’s why you need to find out about it:

These natural solutions are NOT a new "miracle" chemical drug. They don’t have side-effects. They’re completely NATURAL. And they cost pennies!

Click to download this eBook to find out how to:

• Eat an anti-inflammatory diet that is proven to banish inflammation using "The Rainbow Principle"

• The missing minerals and vitamins that are harming your immune system and how to supplement them naturally and side-effect free

• The top 5 most important detox herbs on the planet.

You probably already have some of the ingredients in your kitchen cabinet.

Click here to download the FREE eBook to start your healing process

When you download the free eBook, you also get automatic, no-cost access to the incredible 10-part docu-series, Autoimmune Secrets.

Please don’t miss out on this - I trust you can benefit from this information and bring healing to your autoimmune issues.

Click here to download the "11 Ways to Prevent & Reverse Autoimmune Disease" eBook free of charge

To your health,

Jonathan Otto

VU Sponsors