Become a Patron!

Joss Whedon Explains Title of His HBO Series, The Nevers

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
IGN talked to Joss Whedon at Comic-Con 2018 about his upcoming HBO Series, The Nevers. The show is set in the Victorian era and features a group of superpowered women. But what does the title mean? Is it name of a superhero group a la The Avengers? Not exactly. Turns out it’s a reference to how these super-powered women are viewed by society.

“They, themselves are not called that in the show,” Whedon explained. “It’s a phrase that’s meant to evoke a sort of reaction to their oddity, to what is considered unnatural. The idea that you should never be like this, you should never have existed. Something is not the way it should be, and you don’t have the right to have whatever weird power or ability or that you have. And that idea, that some people are not of the natural order, is fascinating to me. I don't agree with it. But to me, it’s one of those things where you take something negative, and you wear it as a badge of honor, basically. Certain things could never happen - they’re happening. And the people they’re happening to are taking their place in the world.”

Continue reading…

Continue reading...

VU Sponsors