Become a Patron!

Joyetech Cuboid "Atomizer Short" Bad 510 Design Shorting?

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
--OR-- and I know this is a crazy idea, but hear me out....... everyone bitching could just MIND THEIR OWN DAMNED BUSINESS, stay away from members they can't get along with (there IS an ignore feature after all), and let peace abound. This is a vaping forum for adults, not a preschool sandbox, but rest assured, staff will meet you where you are and treat you accordingly. Grow up.

(if you're one of the members in this thread that can function at a mature adult level and not stoop to childish bickering, this post is not for you.... please carry on and have a nice day.)
Thanks for adding a lot of wisdom to this mess, this is how i started out, but with this asshole of a user going non-stop without any breaks and with mods just letting it be i had no other tool at my disposal but to fire back despite having zero interest or time for this childish activity, even ignoring him did not work because you can ignore the user but can not ignore the consequences of his thread trashing on steroids, this guy can keep posting all day .. non-stop

Anyways i will cool it down for now, but if this kid is not disciplined then i will teach him what his parents failed to...

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for adding a lot of wisdom to this mess, this is how i started out, but with this asshole of a user going non-stop without any breaks and with mods just letting it be i had no other tool at my disposal but to fire back despite having zero interest or time for this childish activity, even ignoring him did not work because you can ignore the user but can not ignore the consequences of his thread trashing on steroids, this guy can keep posting all day .. non-stop

Anyways i will cool it down for now, but if this kid is not disciplined then i will teach him what his parents failed to...
And I will watch that no forum rules are broken here, so choose your posts very carefully.

BadLuckAndTrouble

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

LOL! Teach me? You've lost your mind.

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
And I will watch that no forum rules are broken here, so choose your posts very carefully.
Great, hope this works both ways, and your interpretations of the "forum rules" whatever that is, would be consistent in all situations. i will be watching how the "forum rules" will be mutually applied as well. :)

TygerTyger

Official Lurker
Staff member
VU Owner
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'm two seconds from banning both of you. Agree to disagree and move on already. It's enough..... the mods have better things to do than this. I would sincerely hope the both of you do too. If not, volunteer at a soup kitchen.... take up basket weaving.... join a bowling league..... whatever it takes.....

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Cheers guys i think this shit has taken so much of our time already, i am sure everyone has more important stuff to do, sorry for the trouble Tyger i really wish we did not get that far, but anyways thanks ...

dave61

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
--OR-- and I know this is a crazy idea, but hear me out....... everyone bitching could just MIND THEIR OWN DAMNED BUSINESS, stay away from members they can't get along with (there IS an ignore feature after all), and let peace abound. This is a vaping forum for adults, not a preschool sandbox, but rest assured, staff will meet you where you are and treat you accordingly. Grow up.

(if you're one of the members in this thread that can function at a mature adult level and not stoop to childish bickering, this post is not for you.... please carry on and have a nice day.)

+1

EXTENDED TITLE: Getting to the bottom of the "Atomizer Short" problem by comparing the 510 connection on the Cuboid with the Evic VTC Mini, iStick TC100W and Kanger Kbox 200W

So as some of you might know, i have had a bunch of problems with the Cuboid which ended after one week with a pre-mature death where the mod would display the message "Atomizer Short" or "Atomizer Not Found" with ALL otherwise perfectly working attys.

I moved on and ordered the new Eleaf iStick TC100W instead, having fears that the iStick might turn out to be the same garbage, I researched it a little and tried looking for the root cause for the Atomizer Short problem i was having with the Cuboid, since both mods come from almost the same company and uses the same RX board, i suspected the 510 on the iStick could also turn bad shortly after purchase.

In my search i came across this post https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...-cuboid-150-watt.721356/page-31#post-17291095

"Saw this on reddit today in case it helps anyone -
"I had a Cuboid for about a day before getting the "Atomizer Short" message at all times. I sent it in to get repaired, but this is what the nice lady at Joyetech had to say:
"Kindly pls check, The o-ring insulator under the centre connector has been squashed. When you tighten your atty it moves and shorts out. Get a small flat screwdriver and carefully lift the centre pin and try and squash as much of the o-ring back underneath it. If your atomiser's centre sticks out too much it'll break the rubber insulator."
The center pin on my Thunderstorm RTA sticks out a good bit. Just a warning!""

Checked my Cuboid's 510 and it appears to be the case, the o-ring insulator is pushed away from the center pin and the pin is shorting with the negative part of the 510, even though i have been mostly using it with a Kanger Subtank with a floating positive pin that is not sticking out at all, and screwing it very gently just so that it does not wiggle, proposed fix did not work so i investigated how the 510 on other devices is designed ...

That is the shorting 510 on my Cuboid the O-ring is pushed away from the center pin and does not seem to be doing its job insulating anything. The pin has a squared design with a sticking center.

View attachment 40178

The pin on the eVIC VTC Mini has a rounded raised design with o-ring insulator packed underneath
View attachment 40179

Eleaf iStick TC100W pin is similar to the eVIC VTC Mini but has a hex shape with o-ring also well packed underneath
View attachment 40180

Kanger Kbox200 similar to eVIC VTC Mini rounded wide raised center pin, with o-ring sitting very firmly underdeath
View attachment 40181

It appears that all other mods have similar 510 design except the Cuboid, so what the fuck is up with that Cuboid having this kind of 510? different even from similar 510 on other devices by the same company? does anyone understand what the hell is going on?

Thanks
I have a cuboid loved it for like 2 weeks then bad one day atomizer short in vm and tc i coud never get to fire at all no matter what tank or rda i sent to where i bought for return they told me keep it and sent me a different device. so being the ticker i am, like you i figured it but be the poor 510 right? wrong: It was hard as hell i had to grind out alot of the inside to do this but low and behold i added a faddy daddy 510 ... and guess what same thing. turns out there 510 was fine.... the only thing i can think of since i have already flashed to older version firmware (NO HELP) back to new firmware (NO HELP) ... so i did notice since i mostly use rda the device did get kinda warm from time to time.... maybe something in the board just gave up... and this is tth result

Shameless

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well this sucks - the info he gave was good - I am having the same issue with my cuboid - atomizer short - and would love to know if there is a way to fix it - or if I have to send it back

I swear some people really need to grow up - an internet help forum is NOT a place to be a child just because you are semi anonymous!

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So this thread was not that bad after all and the reported problem is real, after over a month of creating this thread, Wismec comes out and publicly admits that they have a short 510 that would be damaged by using even standard attys like the TFV4 and other Cuboid owners started reporting the same problem!

The only way to get this sorted out is to get the shit replaced, nothing else will make that 510 stable again once it starts doing that shit, and once this happens forget about any stable TC performance.

Shameless

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just got the Krixus tank. I am only having the issue with that tank. AND I have it on the Cuboid, Evic VTC mini and SX Mini M class. I think the Post for the 510 connection is too long. If I dont screw it in all the way it reads it fine - but when I keep screwing it down (To flush with the mod) I get the error. This happens on all three mods. And I cant use an atty that isnt screwed down all the way

Shameless

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I put the TopTank mini and TFV4 tanks on after the error - and they work fine

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just got the Krixus tank. I am only having the issue with that tank. AND I have it on the Cuboid, Evic VTC mini and SX Mini M class. I think the Post for the 510 connection is too long. If I dont screw it in all the way it reads it fine - but when I keep screwing it down (To flush with the mod) I get the error. This happens on all three mods. And I cant use an atty that isnt screwed down all the way
I put the TopTank mini and TFV4 tanks on after the error - and they work fine
Do not force screw it to make it sit flush, this could damage your 510 permanently, if you have an adjustable positive pin in your tank screw it all the way in so that it sits flush with the negative threads so that you could sit it flush without shorting out or damaging your mod's 510

Shameless

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm not forcing it - I am just screwing it down til it is flush. No force behind it - no more so than I use for any of my other tanks. I do feel a little bit of a catch when I reach a certain point - and that point has the atomizer about 4mm off the tank and loose (just moving it makes it flop around). I'm not new to this. I just think the pin is too long. When I compare it to the TFV4 or TopTank there is a obvious size difference

I'm having the same 'atomizer short' deal with the Reuleaux200. Same crappy shallow 510.
fyi i did replace a rx200 510 with a fatty daddy cus i just wanted too and it did work you just have to be good at grinding and least some skil at soldering fyi if you just want to trash the mod cus you dont want t do it i messed up a rx200 when painting i had tape over the display on the chip and some how tore the ribbon on the board so now i have a board that i cant fix:( if you would give of sell me that chip in yours i would be interested in it

Do not force screw it to make it sit flush, this could damage your 510 permanently, if you have an adjustable positive pin in your tank screw it all the way in so that it sits flush with the negative threads so that you could sit it flush without shorting out or damaging your mod's 510
you know if there kept using quailty 510 like the older style ones that would not have this problem i cant image it would cost much retail a good 510 in like 5 bucks

yes i have put in far more time and effort into trying to fix the issue then the mod is cost to start with but i think it is pretty sad to make a product like this and I for one loved this mod it was fantastic and i would love to have it again but i not just gonna throw away good money again on a bad mod joyetech has really let me down on this one

Shameless

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I believe my mod is fine - I think its the Krixus tank - I think they made the connector pin too long, since I have the same issue on 3 mods - evic vtc, cuboid, and sx mini ml

I believe my mod is fine - I think its the Krixus tank - I think they made the connector pin too long, since I have the same issue on 3 mods - evic vtc, cuboid, and sx mini ml
well that explains your problem but does not solve mine lol but glad yours works like i said i love the mod when it works i still have mine hoping a firmware update in the future my magicaly fix mine some how

Shameless

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If your 510 connection looks like the one he posted in the first post - they have changed it - mine looks the same as the evic vtc

Wow, thank God for this thread. After reading through all the trash talk I found what I suspected all along, a poorly designed insulator. My pioneer and Subox mods run any tanks find, but the cuboid, that I wanted to love, fails.
The insulator appears to be made of black chewing gum. I beat the hell out of my Kanger and it still runs like a champ. The cuboid insulator is a major fail.
in short a cuboid disaster.
hope joyetech doesn't try to blame me for their poor choice of materials.
Otherwise the build is stellar, saw a teardown on youtube, got some major high quality electronics in there, but alas the insulator is defective.

My 2 cents is the guy who started the fight has an investment in Joye and didn't want any negative stuff out there. The original poster did his homework, as did I, and came to the same conclusion. Maybe it's an advertising issue, don't know.

Hopefully I won't get flamed....

chaz101

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
children,children quit acting like children...please

ayersbj

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm not forcing it - I am just screwing it down til it is flush. No force behind it - no more so than I use for any of my other tanks. I do feel a little bit of a catch when I reach a certain point - and that point has the atomizer about 4mm off the tank and loose (just moving it makes it flop around). I'm not new to this. I just think the pin is too long. When I compare it to the TFV4 or TopTank there is a obvious size difference[/QUOTE

Read in the forum they have spacers you can put between tank and mod for cooling purposes but maybe you can use one for this tank to just make it flush. Sorry don't remember where I read this.

Shameless

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks that might have been a good idea - but I just returned the tank - waiting on a new one to see if it works

I may have found a way around the Cuboid "atomizer short" issue. I was getting the "atomizer short" message for 3 or 4 days and almost returned the mod before I decided to find a way to fix it. I tried swapping coils and it didn't work. I didn't find a solution by googling the problem, but it lead me to find the problem. This has worked for me so far, it may work for you, it may not. I noticed that the 510 connector is real picky about the depth and it had a crappy insulator.

So this is what I did:
1. Remove the atomizer and clean the connections.
2. Fill the female connection on the mod with dielectric grease. (I filled it level to the top and wiped the excess.)
3. I took a piece of clear plastic packaging from the flat side of a package of AA batteries, placed it on a block of wood and drilled a hole in the middle the same size as the male 510 connector on the atomizer. (any type of cheap packaging plastic should do... about 1 mm thick).
4. I placed the male connector through the hole, then cut the plastic around the atomizer to create a plastic washer the same circumference of the atomizer to fit between the deck of the mod and the bottom of the atomizer.
5. I then screwed the atomizer into the grease filled hole with the new plastic washer in between until snug...not overly tight.
The whole process took like 2 minutes.

Now it hits every time... I spent like 2 days getting a short between every other puff, it was ridiculous.
I do not take responsibility for anything bad that may come of this.
I hope this helps, it may work for other mods too. My setup is a Cleito tank with Cuboid mod.
I made an account to share this solution because the problem pissed me off so much.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I have a cuboid and mine has a 510 that looks like the good ones.
The 510 pin may have been smashed down too far by an RDA with a protruding 510 pin?
The cuboid can be dismantled pretty easy and i'd be willing to bet that the mods 510 pin could be pushed up higher back into it's regular position.

@Vapomizer I realize it's only a $40 mod but if you are going to just throw it away let me know and i'll cover your shipping fees if you would send it to me.

I would try to fix it and either return it to you or if you don't want it I could pif it to someone in need.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a cuboid and mine has a 510 that looks like the good ones.
The 510 pin may have been smashed down too far by an RDA with a protruding 510 pin?
The cuboid can be dismantled pretty easy and i'd be willing to bet that the mods 510 pin could be pushed up higher back into it's regular position.

@Vapomizer I realize it's only a $40 mod but if you are going to just throw it away let me know and i'll cover your shipping fees if you would send it to me.

I would try to fix it and either return it to you or if you don't want it I could pif it to someone in need.

That's a hell of a deal. Put your mod where your mouth is.

I am trying to post a video on youtube how i have been fixing this problem, but for some reason i can not upload the stinkin video. I replace the 510, takes less than half hour and cost under 7.00 for part. Those i have fixed have not had problems with the 510. I only drill 1 small hole, no grinding.
Other than the 510 going south causing Atomizer Short, i really do love the Cuboid. I recently purchased a new cuboid and modified it straight out of the box. All i use is a fat daddy 510 connection. The only one to come back with a Atomizer Short was a Atomizer Short, not the 510

VU Sponsors