Joyetech eGrip unboxing

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I run mine on the third notch at 1.5 ohms, whatever wattage that equates to and it has been getting me through the day. Which is all I really care about. I have yet to run it until it fails to fire so it's hard to say for sure. It's my sole vape when out and about but never exclusive when home. People ask how much juice I go through in a day and I really have no clue because I've got an assortment of things on my desk that get used when the mood strikes. Have to justify having all that stuff ya know.:)

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Re battery life, I think it all depends on how you vape.

For instance, I use my eGrip mostly as a stealth vaping device. So naturally, when I pull it out of my pocket and sneak a vape, I tend to use it at low power and make every toke count. As a result, even if I use it like that all day long, I go through half a tank at most, and the battery is far from depleted in the evening.

Yet I feel just as satisfied as if I had vaped freely on my steam machine of choice, gone through 10ml and run down a pair of high-capacity 18650s. So how much battery life is adequate is subjective.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Re battery life, I think it all depends on how you vape.

For instance, I use my eGrip mostly as a stealth vaping device. So naturally, when I pull it out of my pocket and sneak a vape, I tend to use it at low power and make every toke count. As a result, even if I use it like that all day long, I go through half a tank at most, and the battery is far from depleted in the evening.

Yet I feel just as satisfied as if I had vaped freely on my steam machine of choice, gone through 10ml and run down a pair of high-capacity 18650s. So how much battery life is adequate is subjective.

Yes, I took it out on NYE, and it was awesome, even though those of us who smoked or vaped were outside!

Hartoled

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I was out walking last evening. Got a bit of a dry hit. Went to turn it down. Had gloves on and didn't feel the click. Sons of Hades! That 20 watts is the baddest, fastest, sharpest dry hit that you will ever get. One good thing...It goes bad tasting so fast that it didn't destroy my cotton.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've ended up with 3 egrips, each with a rebuildable base. Once you work out the quirks (you have to screw that RBA base in super tight) I'm amazed and impressed - in fact, it rivals my beloved Reos for flavor, and that's saying something. But chain-vaping makes them get too hot, and you can't just hot swap a battery. So the Reos won't be displaced (*phew*), but these little things are fantastic!

Cruel-Phate

Just Thomas
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've ended up with 3 egrips, each with a rebuildable base. Once you work out the quirks (you have to screw that RBA base in super tight) I'm amazed and impressed - in fact, it rivals my beloved Reos for flavor, and that's saying something. But chain-vaping makes them get too hot, and you can't just hot swap a battery. So the Reos won't be displaced (*phew*), but these little things are fantastic!

I ended up with 2 egrips, each with a buildable base. I really really like the little thingies o_O

Mommay

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I haven't quite got all the quirks figured out yet - maybe you guys can help me out. When I use the RBA base it seems to get "gurgly". I would prefer a little tighter draw, but am more bothered by the gurgle. I DO love the flavor the RBA produces (vs the muted flavor of the stock coil). If I can ever get things tweaked just right, it will be super.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I haven't quite got all the quirks figured out yet - maybe you guys can help me out. When I use the RBA base it seems to get "gurgly". I would prefer a little tighter draw, but am more bothered by the gurgle. I DO love the flavor the RBA produces (vs the muted flavor of the stock coil). If I can ever get things tweaked just right, it will be super.

YES! I had that problem on all three. You have to take that tool and tighten it beyond what you would normally do. @Cessnapix explained to me that you have to almost break a seal the first time. He was right. Tighten that sucker up with a rubber thingy to hold whatever you're using to tighten it up. Got rid of that gurgle in all three! Also, I ordered some magnets that someone said are a perfect solution to tighten the draw (only to what it is with the regular coil):
https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=R311

Mommay

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Amanda- Thank you!! I'm going to tighten the crap out of the base when I put it back on - it just happens that I have it off right now. Where the heck do the magnets go? Yes, just tightening the draw to that of the regular coil would be perfect.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Amanda- Thank you!! I'm going to tighten the crap out of the base when I put it back on - it just happens that I have it off right now. Where the heck do the magnets go? Yes, just tightening the draw to that of the regular coil would be perfect.

They fit right over the airflow hole at the bottom of the RBA base! Mine are coming in on Monday, so I can let you know how they work.

Mommay

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Duh! LOL, Leave it up to me to overlook the obvious. I actually had a magnet, in my jewelry making supplies, that fits perfectly in the opening. But, it doesn't have a hole in the center, so it closed up the air flow completely. Even with the side screw opened up, it was too tight, but I bet the magnet with the small hole will work. The 3/16" size fits the bottom perfectly - that's the size in the link you posted and the solid magnet that I tried. The center air intake is 1/16", so I'm anxious to see if the magnets you ordered, with the 1/16 ID, reduce the airflow enough.
I'll be watching to see how it works for you.

kh888

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am usually 2 tanks at 10 watts before charging.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dr3d

Yes. What was the question?
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
GF's E-grip was in the mailbox when we got to my house last night. She's loving it.

Ellipsis

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
hello everyone...
would you recommend the egrip for someone looking to start vaping and kick cigarettes?
keep in mind also, she is a neighbor and a good friend of my girlfriend, so, mentoring and assistance are available from us 24/7
i use drippers and gennies, girlfriend uses russian 91 and the kanger subtank in rebuildable mode...
this kit seems to be something a beginner could grow into easily...your thoughts ?

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
hello everyone...
would you recommend the egrip for someone looking to start vaping and kick cigarettes?
keep in mind also, she is a neighbor and a good friend of my girlfriend, so, mentoring and assistance are available from us 24/7
i use drippers and gennies, girlfriend uses russian 91 and the kanger subtank in rebuildable mode...
this kit seems to be something a beginner could grow into easily...your thoughts ?

Actually, no. I'm a huge fan, but a) changing flavors might leave lingerings scents (and newcomers change flavors a lot) b) the USB port is fragile, c) mine still leaks alittle. Better in my opinion with a mini nautilus (or several) with BVC coils and an Istick!

Ellipsis

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
how funny...as i was typing the previous post, the two of them come sauntering into the house...
neighbor is sporting the inokin vv/vw v3 with an aspire et/s , lots of replacement heads. and several mr eliquid 24mg flavors...
sorry for hijacking the thread...
still intrigued...

Dr3d

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Actually, no. I'm a huge fan, but a) changing flavors might leave lingerings scents (and newcomers change flavors a lot) b) the USB port is fragile, c) mine still leaks alittle. Better in my opinion with a mini nautilus (or several) with BVC coils and an Istick!

Wow ... although I dumped analogs in a vacuum and have converted many ... I have a very different expectation for newcomers. I changed flavors exactly twice in my first two years off the stank sticks. First change was when I dropped my cigalikes for tanked egos; second change was when the local vendor of my second flavor stopped selling juice over 24 mg/ml. The formula that has worked for folks I've led to the light (including myself) has been: high nic tobacco juice flavor for a long time with a zero burn goal from day one. This has worked for several folks who failed on their initial adventures into vaping.

I view the Egrip as the ideal kit using this strategy. I'm nearly 4 years in and have only started venturing away from tobacco flavors in the past couple months.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Interesting - I have a half dozen friends who all smoked as long as I did (40 years or so) who all started off on Halo Tritons. With multiple flavors!

But, hey, if they stick to one flavor, then - as I said previously - I'm a huge fan of the egrip!

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
hello everyone...
If they used Aspire BVC's, not the Joyetech heads, they blow big time. It would be a good starter....

Mommay

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yep, watch out for that USB port- that's why mine was replaced by Joyetech. And, the replacement has a port that takes a firm push to get it seated. I hold my breath every time I plug it in... just hoping that it has an extra strong solder holding it in place this time.

@AmandaD - Did your magnets arrive today? If so, how are they working? I'm still gurgling some, but playing with the wicking is helping with the draw some. I tried a 2nd silicone seal, stacked, to lessen the gurgle... it disappeared...POOF!... I have no idea where it went.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes, Mommay, my magnets did arrive today. And they do work! Still slightly airy but no more so than the stock coils. Cessnapix has also suggested more silicone seal, which I have yet to try - I still get slight leaking, but the gurgling mainly vanished when I tightened the crap out of the RBA LOL

Mommay

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, I DID find the 2nd silicone seal. The pressure of tightening had forced it onto the center tube... talk about a bitch trying to get out! I would NOT recommend using a 2nd seal. I suspect that if I didn't chain vape & take long, strong, extended draws, that I wouldn't have the gurgling issues that I have- at least not as much. I think the seal is doing it's job & that condensation in the center tube is a major, contributing culprit. I'll get back to the drawing board...

@Zamazam - How are you changing the posts of the Aspire BVC to fit the eGrip? I found the gasket in the Aspire coils to be too large to hold the pin of the eGrip coils tightly. I was not using the Nautilus coils, but the small Aspire BVC. I'm very curious as to the solution without having to change out the entire gasket - something I wouldn't recommend to a noob.

Hartoled

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Maybe grind down a custom Aspire post for your eGrip?

Dr3d

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, I DID find the 2nd silicone seal. The pressure of tightening had forced it onto the center tube... talk about a bitch trying to get out! I would NOT recommend using a 2nd seal. I suspect that if I didn't chain vape & take long, strong, extended draws, that I wouldn't have the gurgling issues that I have- at least not as much. I think the seal is doing it's job & that condensation in the center tube is a major, contributing culprit. I'll get back to the drawing board...

@Zamazam - How are you changing the posts of the Aspire BVC to fit the eGrip? I found the gasket in the Aspire coils to be too large to hold the pin of the eGrip coils tightly. I was not using the Nautilus coils, but the small Aspire BVC. I'm very curious as to the solution without having to change out the entire gasket - something I wouldn't recommend to a noob.

Hear say alert: I have a pack of Aspire BVCs at the ready, but I will not have experience until my GF goes through the Joyetech heads that came with her Egrip. She tells me she hooked another stank sticker at work today (first day with her Egrip). So, I understand there are two approaches. The Joyetech pin is a loose fit in BVC; however, it is reported function properly with the loose fit. The coil base will not screw in completely with the swap.

There is another report that one user took the RBA base and removed material (.9 mm from memory) so that the BVC fits (including flush Egrip base) without modification.

My plan is to first try the pin swap to confirm the GF likes this better - she is moving from a Nautilus Mini, so it's likely she will. Once confirmed, I will attempt to modify the base for my Egrip which is low risk since I prefer my RBA base. At any rate, I have vernier calipers so I will measure to confirm the .9 mm quote before modifying. I also like the modified BVC pins idea so I may explore this as well.

hello everyone...

If you're going to be around for 24/7 support then the eGrip is not bad for someone just starting out but not something I'd recommend.
It has it's quirks but nothing that's unmanageable for someone experienced.

As far as flavors, it really is a great idea to switch flavors often. Vaping the same thing over and over is a contributor to vapers tongue. As long as the next flavor compliments the last, there's no need {IMO} to have to clean out the eGrip each time.

Mommay

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm about ready to chunk this across the room. With RDA, gurgle, gurgle, leak....more cotton, less cotton, more watts, less watts. tighten the base, loosen the base, increase the airflow, decrease the airflow - it doesn't matter, my eGrip hates me. I ran a tank thru it earlier today and it was perfect. Refilled & it acts like a piece of &^$... well you get the picture.

On the brighter side, I tried the Aspire BVC, yesterday, and it vapes great.

Cruel-Phate

Just Thomas
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Did you try tugging that coil up higher? Maybe it's to close to air hole. Dunno, my issue was the air pressure from that dumb fill hole

Mommay

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It looks to be about 1mm above air hole. I'm going to pull it up a tad, rewick and try once more. I know it has to do with the vacuum, because it worked perfect until I opened the door to refill it.

I went ahead and replaced the coil, raising it up to about 2mm. I'll see if that helps. Thanks.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm about ready to chunk this across the room. With RDA, gurgle, gurgle, leak....more cotton, less cotton, more watts, less watts. tighten the base, loosen the base, increase the airflow, decrease the airflow - it doesn't matter, my eGrip hates me. I ran a tank thru it earlier today and it was perfect. Refilled & it acts like a piece of &^$... well you get the picture.

On the brighter side, I tried the Aspire BVC, yesterday, and it vapes great.

I do have a gripe (eGripe? :)) with the RBA base: when I open the trap door, it equalizes the pressure, and after refilling and closing the door again, juice leaks out of the base until enough vacuum is created at the top of the tank. I wish it didn't do that, if only because it wastes juice. But it stops quite quickly. Can't have everything I guess...

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm so in love with these little things. I recently went to a 4-day conference, and it was the perfect little stealth/subtle thing to take along. The only problem is that the RBA is too noisy to vape anywhere it's quiet (e.g., real stealth vaping not such an option). But I was able to vape it in noisy bars/restaurants all evening, and nobody cared. It's very easy to get lots of flavor and no vapor if you need to do that (and I did!)!

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I do have a gripe (eGripe? :)) with the RBA base: when I open the trap door, it equalizes the pressure, and after refilling and closing the door again, juice leaks out of the base until enough vacuum is created at the top of the tank. I wish it didn't do that, if only because it wastes juice. But it stops quite quickly. Can't have everything I guess...
I don't get any leakage out the base after refilling but I do use heavy 75% VG juice. Using 28 gauge, 2.5mm 8 wraps 1.5 ohms and Japanese Labo cotton.

Hartoled

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I was going to take mine for a walk so I stood here and chain vaped it a while to make sure that it was hitting good. It passed the test. I stepped outside, took a hit in the cold air and it went dry and stupid on me. It was still warm from vaping it indoors. After the walk it still was stupid. 24 hours later, pick it up cold and it vapes fine again. Damned thing is so touchy!

I think they need a design like a Venturi, Manta or Nahualon to preheat the air that gets to it.

Hey! it's just Ray...

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Got the wife and I the E-grip and liking it, best vape to date. Rebuildable adapters are on the way. Now shopping for the gel grips and holding off till I find out what these RBA 510 adapters are good for? Thx

Hey! it's just Ray...

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Them vaper juice funnels they have on the walls in the doctors examination rooms come in handy for the E-Grip. :D
IMG_20150216_165133_661_zpsrzizeans.jpg

The ones on the far right have the preferred smaller holes, don't get caught! :D

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Why don't you just use the fill hole on the side? I use little needle tipped bottles in all three of mine, and it works beautifully!

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a cap with the needle but it was just to slow for me.
Wanna race filling up E-grips? :D

Yeah, and I'd win - it takes literally seconds, because I don't have to unscrew anything LOL Why isn't it lightening fast when you do it? Oh, wait - I use high PG - I'm betting you're using high VG, so it takes longer to go through the needle?

Hey! it's just Ray...

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, and I'd win - it takes literally seconds, because I don't have to unscrew anything LOL Why isn't it lightening fast when you do it? Oh, wait - I use high PG - I'm betting you're using high VG, so it takes longer to go through the needle?
Yeah you got me there that's a bitch getting that out. I figured on getting that off and you can open your door and then we can race. :D

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
4 bucks + shipping. Anyway, my time is free when it's my hobby. I'd rather spend a couple hours building this out of junk I already have than pay for extra stuff, be it only for 4 bucks. I'm a skinflint that way :)

CrazyVpr

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
4 bucks + shipping. Anyway, my time is free when it's my hobby. I'd rather spend a couple hours building this out of junk I already have than pay for extra stuff, be it only for 4 bucks. I'm a skinflint that way :)
I don't see what that accomplishes anyway. Just touch the multimeter to the side and the bottom. Done.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't see what that accomplishes anyway. Just touch the multimeter to the side and the bottom. Done.

Ever tried to do a dry-burn that way? :)

Cuz you know, that's what the RBA base adapter (the genuine article or my ghetto version) is really for...

VU Sponsors