Become a Patron!

Kayfun v5 Mini (SXK) 28 GAA A1 Build

I built 6 wraps 28Gaa Kanthal with 2,5mm diameter spaced. It comes about 1,15 ohms. It hits very smooth but i don't feel the full flavor. I also have 28 Gaa SS. How should i build with these wires on Kayfun 5 Mini Sxk clone. I use it without mtl restrictor, should i use it?
416252e5-ef48-477b-909f-0d5cb6df549f.jpg

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'd do about 8 or 9 wraps for approx same ohm rate or twist 2 strand and go 5 or 6 wraps.

Steam-engine.org is great for these experiments....

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I'd do about 8 or 9 wraps for approx same ohm rate or twist 2 strand and go 5 or 6 wraps.

Steam-engine.org is great for these experiments....

You use it like mtl or dl? Cuz everyone saying its best at 1,5 ohm but its a MTL ohm for me. If can do 1,5 ohm with 28 gaa kanthal, do i need to space coil? Do i need use mtl restrictor? I want full flavor on my toungue :D

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Dont have the 5. I use original style Kayfun... but to do MTL you need to restrict the air comming into and out if the atty..

I find the Kayfuns do best in the 10 to 25 watt range...... ohm you use really doesn't matter unless mod is UNregulated.

1.5ohm with Kanthal would be 8 wraps on a 2.5mm core... i would run at 15watts or so.... my Kayfun is running a 2x28 twisted coil at .6 ohms..Running at average of 15watts.......

Using a Pico 75 and Arcticfox with curved power profile that peaks at about 22watts.

Spacing doesn't affect ohm... it affect how the juice and airflow affects the heat of the coil and spreads to coil out over a larger area of wick....make coil longer. I find spaced coils give better flavor and stay clean longer.....

I suggest modeling builds with steam-engine.org. .. i like to target Heat Flux at around 180 and heat capacity in the yellow range at desired wattage.... experiment.....
If your mod is regulated don't worry much about OHM.... target builds to a wattage and heat range.....

Dont have the 5. I use original style Kayfun... but to do MTL you need to restrict the air comming into and out if the atty..

I find the Kayfuns do best in the 10 to 25 watt range...... ohm you use really doesn't matter unless mod is UNregulated.

1.5ohm with Kanthal would be 8 wraps on a 2.5mm core... i would run at 15watts or so.... my Kayfun is running a 2x28 twisted coil at .6 ohms..Running at average of 15watts.......

Using a Pico 75 and Arcticfox with curved power profile that peaks at about 22watts.

Spacing doesn't affect ohm... it affect how the juice and airflow affects the heat of the coil and spreads to coil out over a larger area of wick....make coil longer. I find spaced coils give better flavor and stay clean longer.....

I suggest modeling builds with steam-engine.org. .. i like to target Heat Flux at around 180 and heat capacity in the yellow range at desired wattage.... experiment.....
If your mod is regulated don't worry much about OHM.... target builds to a wattage and heat range.....

Thank you very much for very informative comment. I tried 1,5 ohm with restrictor (the one with bigger hole). With wattages between 10-23, flavor wasn't there. I am experienced with diffrent type of coils, and always using coil jig to make very shapely coils. I put optimum amount of cotton (not too tight but tight enough to feel %30-50 restriction while pulling it). I tried twisted 28 gauge catched exactly 0,6 ohm with it. But even with the very little organic cotton it gave me very bitter, harsh-dry taste. I immediately coughed. I use 20/80 VG diy ejuice with %10 flavoring. (lava flow)

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
May need to adjust your juice.... have you use the juice in other atties? If so which what build and what power...

Don't the v5 have juice control..might have to play with that. If you are using the Kayfun at lower power than your used to may need to adjust flavor % up. May need to use more PG. If having wicking issue.

Could just be the V5 is not the atty for you...

Imo The Kayfun is more a quality of flavor than it does quantity of flavor.... it's a nuance atty more than a knock your socks off with flavor atty.

My favorite Kayfun build is 3x32 kanthal or nichrome at around 1.2ohm... 7 wraps or so spaced.

May need to adjust your juice.... have you use the juice in other atties? If so which what build and what power...

Don't the v5 have juice control..might have to play with that. If you are using the Kayfun at lower power than your used to may need to adjust flavor % up. May need to use more PG. If having wicking issue.

Could just be the V5 is not the atty for you...

Imo The Kayfun is more a quality of flavor than it does quantity of flavor.... it's a nuance atty more than a knock your socks off with flavor atty.

My favorite Kayfun build is 3x32 kanthal or nichrome at around 1.2ohm... 7 wraps or so spaced.

Im using same juice on Merlin Mini. 28 Gauge (SS) twisted coil ohm is 0.6-0.65. Vaping it constant 25 watts, i get both Coconaut and Strawberry flavor with little crema. It had 80/20 vg/pg before i put %10 flavor to it 3mg nic.
Are you using KF5 authentic with MTL restrictor? Or you just set the airflow to your liking? I tried 28 kanthal twisted on kf5 mini the flavor was too bitter and it was dry hitting after 2-3 puff with 5-6 seconds between them. I think my kayfun clone is not successing thr authentic one. I thought SXK clone would be very good. I will try DL build on it with 28 gaa SS (will try to catch 1.0 ohm.) one more time, if i don't get satisfied i will sell it.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Im using same juice on Merlin Mini. 28 Gauge (SS) twisted coil ohm is 0.6-0.65. Vaping it constant 25 watts, i get both Coconaut and Strawberry flavor with little crema. It had 80/20 vg/pg before i put %10 flavor to it 3mg nic.
Are you using KF5 authentic with MTL restrictor? Or you just set the airflow to your liking? I tried 28 kanthal twisted on kf5 mini the flavor was too bitter and it was dry hitting after 2-3 puff with 5-6 seconds between them. I think my kayfun clone is not successing thr authentic one. I thought SXK clone would be very good. I will try DL build on it with 28 gaa SS (will try to catch 1.0 ohm.) one more time, if i don't get satisfied i will sell it.

I suggest trying the smallest size air restrictor for tightest draw, less cotton, or adding one or two drops of water to your E-liquid to make it wick faster, or a combination of all three

I also suggest spacing your coils just a tiny bit, on the jig, after you wrap them

I suggest trying the smallest size air restrictor for tightest draw, less cotton, or adding one or two drops of water to your E-liquid to make it wick faster, or a combination of all three

I also suggest spacing your coils just a tiny bit, on the jig, after you wrap them
Thank you very much! I will definetly try them. Adding drinking water to ejuice is fine? Im too far to find high quality disilited water. I have 15 mg nbase without flavor. It is 50/50 vg pg. I tried it with mtl but it was too bitter. I will try it with tightest restrictor then.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Thank you very much! I will definetly try them. Adding drinking water to ejuice is fine? Im too far to find high quality disilited water. I have 15 mg nbase without flavor. It is 50/50 vg pg. I tried it with mtl but it was too bitter. I will try it with tightest restrictor then.

I add 1 or 2 drops of tap water per 10 mL to high VG liquid to thin it, it's fine

Sorry I did not see your reply until now!

VU Sponsors