Become a Patron!

Kayfun Weak Vapor! Help!

SHOUTCAST

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey everyone, Ok here is the deal. I bought a kayfun and I built a chimney coil build.. The flavor is outstanding.. Flavor is definitely a little better then my Nautilus Mini. Problem is the vapor production is weak. My Nautilus mini produces much thicker and dense vapor. I really want to love the kayfun but find myself always going back to the Nautilus Mini for vapor production.. So my last two builds were of chimney coil builds. First one was 1.7 with 28g 14 wraps.. Flavor was great but vapor was kinda weak.. So i thought I should lower the ohms.. So I built a 1.3ohm build 28g 12 wraps.. Flavor is still outstanding but vapor is just not there.. I have tired too much cotton and very little cotton.. Both wick fine but just don't produce that satisfying vapor I get from my nautilus mini.. I bought the kayfun so I can product more vapor then my Nautilus Mini and it seems it just can't do it.. I have done countless builds on the kayfun and finally found chimney is the best on flavor so I want to stay with it but I need more vapor.. So my question is am I doing something wrong or does the kayfun just not produce that much vapor. Oh and I have the air hole screw completely out..

chickenmonkey

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I tried the chimney coil build too and it wasn't the best went back to regular micro 28 ga kanthal, 8/9 wraps 2mm 1.4 ohm. great flavor vapor th 11 watts

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I am vaping a standard 1.6 ohm coil with Rami Fiber at 12 watts at the moment using a 60/40 mix and I am getting plenty of vapor.

Dmanifiknow what your problem could be. Is enough liquid making it to your wick?

Ellipsis

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
tried a chimney coil quite a while back...hated it
went back to horizontal build
something is definately haywire if you are getting better performance from the nautilus mini
any chance you can post pictures of the kayfun build

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Wrap a coil with 8 wraps of 28 Gauge on a 2mm drillbit - a standard micro coil and keep it off the deck with minimal space (1 mm). Wick it with either cotton or rayon. Chimney builds are hit or miss with me.

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hey everyone, Ok here is the deal. I bought a kayfun and I built a chimney coil build.. The flavor is outstanding.. Flavor is definitely a little better then my Nautilus Mini. Problem is the vapor production is weak. My Nautilus mini produces much thicker and dense vapor. I really want to love the kayfun but find myself always going back to the Nautilus Mini for vapor production.. So my last two builds were of chimney coil builds. First one was 1.7 with 28g 14 wraps.. Flavor was great but vapor was kinda weak.. So i thought I should lower the ohms.. So I built a 1.3ohm build 28g 12 wraps.. Flavor is still outstanding but vapor is just not there.. I have tired too much cotton and very little cotton.. Both wick fine but just don't produce that satisfying vapor I get from my nautilus mini.. I bought the kayfun so I can product more vapor then my Nautilus Mini and it seems it just can't do it.. I have done countless builds on the kayfun and finally found chimney is the best on flavor so I want to stay with it but I need more vapor.. So my question is am I doing something wrong or does the kayfun just not produce that much vapor. Oh and I have the air hole screw completely out..

Well i don't know who told you the Kayfun was better at producing vapor than the Nautilus but you got some bad info . The Kayfun is about taste , i don't know anybody who buys one for vapor production

That being said i get very good vapor and flavor from my Kayfun's at 1.8 and running anywhere from 9 to 14 watts tops. I also get superior flavor and excellent vapor production from my dripper's running lower wattage , i experienced a very noticeable drop off in flavor running lower ohm's and higher wattage.

SHOUTCAST

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well i don't know who told you the Kayfun was better at producing vapor than the Nautilus but you got some bad info . The Kayfun is about taste , i don't know anybody who buys one for vapor production

That being said i get very good vapor and flavor from my Kayfun's at 1.8 and running anywhere from 9 to 14 watts tops. I also get superior flavor and excellent vapor production from my dripper's running lower wattage , i experienced a very noticeable drop off in flavor running lower ohm's and higher wattage.

Well i did buy it for flavor and vapor production.. All the videos I have seen vapor production is much better then what I am getting and what my Nautilus is getting so I would expect it to be better. Even if it isn't super better I would still expect it to be better.. Flavor is better though. I also have a magma and I get best vapor production and flavor from it but I wanted something on the go that could hold a good amount of liquid. Right now my Natilus seems to be my go too when out and about.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Well i did buy it for flavor and vapor production.. All the videos I have seen vapor production is much better then what I am getting and what my Nautilus is getting so I would expect it to be better. Even if it isn't super better I would still expect it to be better.. Flavor is better though. I also have a magma and I get best vapor production and flavor from it but I wanted something on the go that could hold a good amount of liquid. Right now my Natilus seems to be my go too when out and about.

Here is a a Jedi mind trick for you.

Power up your device up to the kill level, take a vape and observe the amount.

Then repeat.

In the bathroom standing in front of your mirror. Look at the results in the mirror.

Notice anything different?

This experiment can also be done with or without clothes.

Your preference:D

SHOUTCAST

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
something is definately haywire if you are getting better performance from the nautilus mini

SHOUTCAST

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
2014-09-01 12.46.13.jpg

SHOUTCAST

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Think i might just give up on the chimney build and go back to regular coils.. I did like how easy it was to mount.. Really wanted to work..

SHOUTCAST

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here is a a Jedi mind trick for you.

Power up your device up to the kill level, take a vape and observe the amount.

Then repeat.

In the bathroom standing in front of your mirror. Look at the results in the mirror.

Notice anything different?

This experiment can also be done with or without clothes.

Your preference:D

Ha! I have actually done that test.. Vapor is thicker on the nautilus.. I can even feel the density in my mouth.

SHOUTCAST

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have fixed it.. I was using a 1/16 drill bit. decided to try a slightly larger drill bit.. thing was harder to mount but now i am getting flavor and vapor.. thing is working as I expect it to now..

shynsly

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
do you have any wick going down to the channels? I use vertical coils with degummed hemp fiber and great vapor with a 29ga, 3/32" bit, 1.8 ohm coil, about 10-11 wraps. I am going to be trying 28 ga soon as i have my dna 30 mods built now. I will let you know if i find a trick for that gauge.

Good Luck!!!

Ellipsis

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have fixed it.. I was using a 1/16 drill bit. decided to try a slightly larger drill bit.. thing was harder to mount but now i am getting flavor and vapor.. thing is working as I expect it to now..
glad you got it going
well done sir:D

shynsly

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Great News! Nothing worse than great expectations that get derailed!

VU Sponsors