Become a Patron!

Kylin Mini RTA Help!

ColdDayInHell

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just got this today and have the Kylin dual coil already (which I love), but I can't seem to get the right ohms. I'm using .4ohm fused clapton coils and they kept reading .7ohm. I assembled it and now it reads .67ohm.

Then I noticed leaking. I think that happened because there wasn't enough cotton on the deck?

I also have Juggernaut coils which I may try out instead.

I usually ask my vape shop and they'll help me build but they're closed. Thanks and I hope to get a lot of info from the community here.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I just got this today and have the Kylin dual coil already (which I love), but I can't seem to get the right ohms. I'm using .4ohm fused clapton coils and they kept reading .7ohm. I assembled it and now it reads .67ohm.

Then I noticed leaking. I think that happened because there wasn't enough cotton on the deck?

I also have Juggernaut coils which I may try out instead.

I usually ask my vape shop and they'll help me build but they're closed. Thanks and I hope to get a lot of info from the community here.
Does the coil read differently in another atty or on a diff mod/ohm reader?

Could be not enough cotton, altho it can take a few attempts to get the wicking right. You don't want so much that the chimney compresses it and chocks it off. Try this
http://vapingunderground.com/thread...a-review-by-kingpin-inc-wicking-guide.392905/

ColdDayInHell

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've gotten the wicking down pat on the Kylin RTA, this mini is already frustrating me. The Coilmaster ohm meter showed .7, my Smok AL85 read .67. I'll upload pics in a second. I know sometimes they leak out the airholes when you first wick. Is there AFC on this like the Kylin RTA? Thanks.

ColdDayInHell

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
615d6d8e03effcd5a0fe38501beb988f.jpg

45990b00b7ad3856febfd4930609388e.jpg

I don’t have any friends that vape to ask which is why I just joined here. The local shop is very helpful and knowledgeable but it’s always good having a forum.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Welcome to the Underground ! :vino:A lot of good and helpfull peeps here. Way better than any shop I've been in.
Try KingPin's method, many say it works well for them.

ColdDayInHell

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thank you. Does it look like too little cotton? I saw his thread, looks like I have to jam more into the deck.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Yes, try that. Fill that valley in the deck but not so it gets crushed when screwing the chimney on.
I don't see a lot wrong with what you have. For me what has worked well,,,but I'm using 4id coil, is to leave the cotton loose inside the coil. you know, so none of the wraps move when you move it back and forth, error on the loose side but not too loose. Thin tails a little but not much because I want to fill that upward slope on the deck next to the channels. And I leave a thin tail down in the channel without touching bottom.

ColdDayInHell

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes, try that. Fill that valley in the deck but not so it gets crushed when screwing the chimney on.
I don't see a lot wrong with what you have. For me what has worked well,,,but I'm using 4id coil, is to leave the cotton loose inside the coil. you know, so none of the wraps move when you move it back and forth, error on the loose side but not too loose. Thin tails a little but not much because I want to fill that upward slope on the deck next to the channels. And I leave a thin tail down in the channel without touching bottom.

So push the cotton up on the deck or rewick/start fresh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Try his way first, and if that doesn't work for you, I have another method.
Loosely in the coil but cotton needs to be touching all of the inner diameter.
Thin tails a little - not too much. cut it flush with the side of the deck. Fluff it to expand it to the 1/2 pipe shape. Juice it and see what you have, Minor tooling if needed. And try it.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Start fresh. Don't push cotton up from down in the channels, just cut it flush with deck. See Kingpins pics.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Also, when filling - the tank needs to be burped or it will at least leak initially. Just tighten cap enough so you can turn it upside down, let the air pocket surround the 2 wicking channels, and tighten the cap while its upside down. And I vape it right away after that.

ColdDayInHell

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Also, when filling - the tank needs to be burped or it will at least leak initially. Just tighten cap enough so you can turn it upside down, let the air pocket surround the 2 wicking channels, and tighten the cap while its upside down. And I vape it right away after that.

That sounds risky , lol. I see what you mean though. Open the air holes up while upside down or leave them closed ?

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
That sounds risky , lol. I see what you mean though. Open the air holes up while upside down or leave them closed ?

Well, when the top cap starts touching that seal, it won't leak upside down. Only takes a couple few seconds for the air pocket to move to the bottom - which is now the top hehe. You can close AF if you want. I leave it open and don't get leaking.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I think that looks similar. What does it look like from the end? Is the cotton fluffed way out and around? When you juice it it will close up a little. Easier to close it a little after juice than expand it after.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
oops double postededdd

Last edited:

ColdDayInHell

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
a053aff1113dc5df0bc57dec8f609f19.jpg

So far , so good. I followed his wicking technique. I’m paranoid about leaking so I filled it 1/4.

The main reason I got the dual Kylin was that I was fed up with coils , even though my Cloud Beast King is a solid tank. It was just a hassle finding good coils and they’d burn out fast.

ColdDayInHell

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
0594a0027f2e17020b515e6c5556d00b.jpg

Not sure what wattage I should be at because the ohms should be .4 , but I’ll bring it by my local shop tomorrow. I was just messaging the owner and he said it could be screws loose but they’re not.

It’s all just a big learning curve. I’m use to wiring / working on my Wrangler, doing electrical , working on guns. This RTA stuff is pretty intricate. I appreciate the replies.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
NP! Don't know what he means by loose screws because I think when post screws are loose you'd get a lower reading. But your mod and ohm meter are reading the same, close enough to be considered pretty accurate. You could prolly pull a wrap off the coil to get closer to .4 Whatever wattage you like the vape at is good. Hopefully that wicking works for you. If not there's something else we can try but I have no pics till I wick it again, which will be tomorrow. Till I got it going, I took it off the mod when I slept cause I knew it would seep. Actually, I stil do lol, with all of them.

ColdDayInHell

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lol. Knock on wood, it’s hitting like a champ at 40w. I finally got to take my baby beast off the AL85 mod and use this bad boy so I’m excited. I still like the Kylin dual coil better but this will be perfect for a backup/on the go type rig.

be0f536ba975c283621f3c6372785607.jpg

Poor light due to a headache from too much electrical work today, I’m burnt out. Life is good though.

ColdDayInHell

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I brought it by my local shop today and my buddy said it looked good. Wicked it just like the tutorial in post 2. It still reads .7ohm so I’m running it at 40w. Love this thing so far. I wish they made the airflow a little bit wider to accommodate the entire coil , but that’s a first world problem.

VU Sponsors