Landlord to ban vaping?

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
When breathing, exhaling produces CO2, which can be a deadly poisonous gas, reportedly responsible for damaging the ozone layer and furthering global warming... Clearly you should ban breathing in your rental properties, for all of our sake!!
Stupid analogy is stupid.

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I never agreed to that shit, and neither did the op. If I signed away my right to vape, that would be one thing. I didn't, neither did he; fuck the landlord in question.

That's the point.
You missed the point of the OP post.. he didnt say that suddenly the landlord wont allow him to vape. He said 'in the newer apartments'. That means 'from now on, he will have it in the contract for new tenants', which means you will know about it up front.

Now, he DID get the older tenants to agree to a no smoking policy which they signed, but, those tenants are still allowed to vape. If you sign an addendum to the contract, you are now legally bound by that addendum. Like it or not. You did have the choice not to sign it and live out the remainder of the contract as it was originally written. But, the landlord also has the right to not renew that contract as written at the end of the term. Then, you decide whether to sign the new contract or move. Either way, its all up to you and what you agree too.

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm think the real point of the op's post was the rediculious nature of the demands for new tenants when he originally embraced vaping as a safer and fully acceptable alternative to smoking. The landlord even went so far as to purchase starter kits for smoking tenants, then did a complete about face on the matter. To me, the landlord in question is a self serving douche.

Legally, you're right. Morally, I don't agree with the premise of banning freedom when it really doesn't effect others... And it really doesn't in this case, IMO.

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Make retarded and baseless rules despite the fact that we're all supposed to be supporting the same cause, demand everyone follow them because they agreed when they arrived, and shit all over anyone who disagrees.

Sounds like a certain e-cig forum, no? Wtf are half of you doing here anyway? I'd think you'd be more mentally aligned with the goose-steppers over yonder.

Anyway, let's just agree to see things differently. We're obviously never going to change each others minds on this one.

Have a great day, and happy vaping. (Out at the curb, if you deem necessary I guess. I'll be comfy in my home, lo!.)

Bolded..: Um, yes, you agreed to the terms when you signed. You cannot arbitrarily choose to ignore something you agreed too and signed that you agreed too just because you dont like it anymore.

So, by your reckoning, I dont have to pay for my credit cards 'cause I dont like interest. I mean, I agreed to the terms when I got the card, but dammit, I really dont wanna pay that interest, and they make tons of money anyways, so screw them!

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I never agreed to that shit, and neither did the op. If I signed away my right to vape, that would be one thing. I didn't, neither did he; fuck the landlord in question.

That's the point.

You might want to read the OP again. His landlord is is banning vaping on new renovations, not old tenets. The new tenets will have signed their rights away.

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You might want to read the OP again. His landlord is is banning vaping on new renovations, not old tenets. The new tenets will have signed their rights away.
Point is, they shouldn't even be asked to do so.

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm think the real point of the op's post was the rediculious nature of the demands for new tenants when he originally embraced vaping as a safer and fully acceptable alternative to smoking. The landlord even went so far as to purchase starter kits for smoking tenants, then did a complete about face on the matter. To me, the landlord in question is a self serving douche.

Legally, you're right. Morally, I don't agree with the premise of banning freedom when it really doesn't effect others... And it really doesn't in this case, IMO.
What about you trying to ban his freedoms?

That goes right back to what I was saying - You're rights and freedoms do not trump anyone else's. Just because you like to do something, doesnt mean that anyone else must like it and allow you to do it.

Are you one of those people that blast music at 110db at 3am and then scream 'Its my right!'? You said earlier that you are on good terms with your neighbors, so I assume not, but I think you will agree that that is not a 'right', correct?

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Apparently the landlord found that vaping coated his walls and caused a smell and changed his stance on the issue. It's a reasonable response.

Morally, you advocate to ignore agreed on rules, lie about it and burn the place down if you get caught. Your moral high ground is a pit.

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What about you trying to ban his freedoms?

That goes right back to what I was saying - You're rights and freedoms do not trump anyone else's. Just because you like to do something, doesnt mean that anyone else must like it and allow you to do it.

Are you one of those people that blast music at 110db at 3am and then scream 'Its my right!'? You said earlier that you are on good terms with your neighbors, so I assume not, but I think you will agree that that is not a 'right', correct?

But blasting music at 3am negatively effects others, and is in fact illegal. Vaping doesn't, and isn't.

If VG is going to coat the walls, and fried foods are going to coat the walls, then make an addendum or clause stating that the walls need to be cleaned or professionally repainted upon termination of the rental agreement. Don't ban vaping and fried chicken! What the fuck happened to north america? We are all so fucked its not even funny.

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Why? Just cause its something you like to do?
No, because it doesn't negatively effect the property or people in question any more than a million other hypothetical circumstances do, none of which are under consideration for banishment.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No, because it doesn't negatively effect the property or people in question any more than a million other hypothetical circumstances do, none of which are under consideration for banishment.

That is only your opinion. The landlord disagrees.

Spike64

Vapemail Stalker
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Its more like people screaming about their 'rights' while trying to completely trample on the rights of others. 'My rights! I know my rights! You cant tell me what to do!!'.. Well, yes I can, when it involves my property and my rights.
Yup...I know types like this....and these people that like to always scream about their rights have never been made to understand that with rights come responsibilities....and also that their rights only go as far as when they start infringing on the rights of others...

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
But blasting music at 3am negatively effects others, and is in fact illegal. Vaping doesn't, and isn't.

If VG is going to coat the walls, and fried foods are going to coat the walls, then make an addendum or clause stating that the walls need to be cleaned or professionally repainted upon termination of the rental agreement. Don't ban vaping and fried chicken! What the fuck happened to north america? We are all so fucked its not even funny.
Thats reasonable too.. Paint and clean on the way out (which is what most have said anyways ;)).

However, regardless of why the landlord is banning vaping, the point is that people agreed to it. You cannot do, as you say, and agree to a rule and then choose to ignore it afterwards. That is the whole point of the arguments against you - You advocated agreeing, then sneaking, then lying, then burning the place down. Again, just because you dont like a rule, doesnt mean that you can simply ignore it.

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
(Forum software and formatting is a bit different than I'm used to. Msg deleted)

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Make retarded and baseless rules despite the fact that we're all supposed to be supporting the same cause, demand everyone follow them because they agreed when they arrived, and shit all over anyone who disagrees.

Sounds like a certain e-cig forum, no? Wtf are half of you doing here anyway? I'd think you'd be more mentally aligned with the goose-steppers over yonder.

Anyway, let's just agree to see things differently. We're obviously never going to change each others minds on this one.

Have a great day, and happy vaping. (Out at the curb, if you deem necessary I guess. I'll be comfy in my home, lo!.)
Audi5g's. I'm of going to go and enjoy my day. Its been nice having a passionate discussion with you folks, despite the fact that we disagree on these matters.

Spike64

Vapemail Stalker
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
...and the landlord is an asshole.
Dude...the landlord may well be an asshole, but it's his property...he can set rules and enforce them at his pleasure...as a current tenant, they can move once the current lease is up and new terms are in place. New tenants can look elsewhere if they dont like this...if no one likes it he will have empty building and may have to reconsider his rules...its not a hard concept to understand and deal with...it's life...shit happens....

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
But it is controllable. Thats the reason for my 'stupid analogy' post. Breathing and eating and shitting are part of 'life'. Its natural. Smoking and vaping are not. However, if in the course of eating, shitting, breathing, you mess the place up, you can still be held liable for the damage. In the same vein, if you are vaping (or smoking) in an apartment, and it does cling to the walls, you must clean them on the way out. Same as if the walls are dirty from cooking.

Now, there are other reasons landlords ban things and that is because of a safety threat to other tenants, or an insurance requirement. IE: No open flames other than the stove for cooking (no candles).

VU Sponsors