Become a Patron!

Leaking top-fill tanks

nancyemac

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hello,

I've been experiencing leaking tanks & it must be user error. I have a Crown tank & a Kanger top fill tank. I have issues with both leaking, slowly, out the air intake holes. It doesn't happen every time, but maybe 1 out of 4 or 5 times I fill them.

Kicked cigarettes, and only vape now! Started vaping about 6 months ago, so I'm not an expert. Anyone have any advice to prevent these leaks? I've been removing the tanks from my mods when filling them - is this necessary? When I contacted uwell & asked for a diagram of the o-ring locations, they suggested removing the tank from the mod before refilling (and had no diagram for o-ring layout)

Since this is happening on multiple tanks, I feel like it must be user error, or really bad luck. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I always take 4-5 draws on a tank right after filling to help establish a good vacuum in the tank. It seems to work well for me.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
TBH....it sounds like you may be overfilling. That is the only time a crown leaked on me. Try refilling on the crown to just below the top of the top metal ring when looking at it form the side. Also be sure not to drip any juice down the center hole. that will cause it to leak. Other then that
disssemble the whole thing carefully, clean it and put the set of replacement o rings in. BUT I DOUBT its the orings since this happens on multiple tanks

nancyemac

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for the suggestions! I have taken it apart carefully, cleaned it, replaced some orings, etc. Maybe I am overfilling, but from your description it sounds like just below the metal line is what I'm doing.

After work today I'll try again. Fingers crossed!

Thanks again.

SmilinVapor

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Also, make sure you close the airflow before you take off the top to fill. Fill as usual, put the top back on and then re-open the airflow holes.

Dan DePippo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I will also suggest to lower your watts. I don't know what ohm or watts you are using but I have found if you chain vape at 70 or so they will leak from Airholes . Try around 40 watts.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Kanger Toptank is known to leak.
That's why they invented JFC which unfortunately you don't have.

matts175

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have a Kanger Mini Top Tank sitting right here (on it's side) as my backup tank and it doesn't leak a drop. The ones that are saying they leak.... have you checked the serial number to make sure that they are genuine? There are lots of pretty convincing fakes out there.

nancyemac

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I decided to go to my local vape shop yesterday and get another Crown tank. This should help narrow down the cause(s). Plus, I'm going camping / music festival tomorrow for the long weekend. Having another backup can't be bad.

I do always check the serial numbers & the Kanger is legit. I was surprised that neither of the Crown tanks, bought at different local shops, have an authentication code. A google search turned up others who have legit Crown tanks without any authentication codes, so for the moment I'm not overly concerned, yet...

I do chain vape sometimes. Use 0.5 ohm & 40 watts.

Thinking about the vacuum physics science stuff, I wonder if using a low air intake setting & chain vaping would flood the atomizer slowly, and possibly cause the juice to accumulate in the bottom of the tank resulting in a slow leak through the holes? (If I took physics in school, I must have slept through it...)

nancyemac

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Update -
I did some tests on the new Crown. I was very careful to not overfill. Ruled out my thought about having the low air intake setting. Vaped the Crown with the air holes all the way open. Chain vaped, went through 3 tanks without a problem. Then after the fourth fill, I noticed my juice was disappearing faster than it should - leaking into the base. I opened the tank up & the o-ring/gasket on the top piece was obviously damaged. I've had to replace that same o-ring on the first Crown I got too.

Am I over tightening when I screw the top back on?

VU Sponsors