Become a Patron!

Looking for a similar priced alternative to Ego or KangerTech...

hemispheres

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
About a month ago I purchased an Ego starter kit from Ebay in an attempt to cut down on my smoking and hopefully quit once and for all. Things started off rough with the cheap crappy tanks that come in the kit. I soon bought a kangertech bottom feeder which solved my issues. I was getting more smoke and nicotine and for a few days had no cigarettes, which was awesome because I can consume a half to a full pack a day.

My issue is this:
Last night my second ego battery broke due to the piss poor design of the friggin pen... or maybe it's my fault because I don't wear shirts that have deep pockets. Hell I even put my first pen in the leg pocket of my cargo pants and the POS still broke. Both times wires were ripped in half, not disconnected from the motherboard. it's got me extremely pissed at this point to where I'm about to say **** it and go back to cigs.

As the title states, are there any similar vape pens that don't have a poorly secured cap that will pop out and shred the wiring whenever I sit down?

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Can you give us an idea of what you are comfortable spending on some good gear?

Please keep in mind the more you are willing to spend will end with higher quality that you can depend on for more than a few weeks.

hemispheres

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
At the moment I'd say if I can find a sturdy pen that does the same as the ego for 50-100 I'd be very happy.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Hell,

Give me or the VU peanut gallery a few hours and we can find you a great set up!

Me I am heading for bed but give us time and we will have you vaping happy in short order!

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If you aren't stuck on the pen type batteries (Ego Batteries), you might want to buy an iStick. It's small, has a really long battery life, and all the power you would need. For around $39 for the full kit (battery, micro usb charging cable and a 510 to ego thread adapter).

http://www.smartvapes.com/Eleaf-Istick-p/istick.htm?Click=1624

I have one and it works really well with my Kanger tank and Nautilus BVC (bottom vertical coil) tank.

If you want a really good set up, get the iStick and a Nautilus Mini with BVC's. It will last you a long, long time. Nautilus Mini: http://101vape.com/clearomizers-glassomizers/360-genuine-aspire-nautilus-mini.html

Or you could get an all in one setup with the Joyetech Egrip. They are built solid out of stainless steel.
http://vaporjoes.com/blog/2014/10/30/got-mine-you-need-this-joyetech-egrip-kit-62-95-free-shipping/

http://www.vaporbeast.com/joyetech-egrip-kit.html?acc=c4ca4238a0b923820dcc509a6f75849b
USE COUPON CODE YEAHBABY TO BRING THE TOTAL TO $62.95
FREE SHIPPING

Last edited:

hemispheres

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks, I'll take a look at reviews for the two devices you posted. I'd also like to know of some other pen type vape setups. The local vape shop has one that Is made of either stainless steel or high quality aluminum however it has the setup where you pour your liquid all over the a piece of cotton.. My buddy had one and the density of the smoke was a bit too much for me if that narrows down the selection.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks, I'll take a look at reviews for the two devices you posted. I'd also like to know of some other pen type vape setups. The local vape shop has one that Is made of either stainless steel or high quality aluminum however it has the setup where you pour your liquid all over the a piece of cotton.. My buddy had one and the density of the smoke was a bit too much for me if that narrows down the selection.
That's called dripping, great clouds of vapor, a bit much for a lot of people. I'd stick with either the iStick or eGrip.

hemispheres

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The iStick is looking like one of those too good to be true type deals... Only other ecig I've seen with those features is 170 dollar doohickey one of my neighbors purchased.

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of dripping after being harassed by security in Busch Gardens for taking a couple of hits between rides... they cracked down on vaping period due to complaints by guests.

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
About a month ago I purchased an Ego starter kit from Ebay in an attempt to cut down on my smoking and hopefully quit once and for all. Things started off rough with the cheap crappy tanks that come in the kit. I soon bought a kangertech bottom feeder which solved my issues. I was getting more smoke and nicotine and for a few days had no cigarettes, which was awesome because I can consume a half to a full pack a day.

My issue is this:
Last night my second ego battery broke due to the piss poor design of the friggin pen... or maybe it's my fault because I don't wear shirts that have deep pockets. Hell I even put my first pen in the leg pocket of my cargo pants and the POS still broke. Both times wires were ripped in half, not disconnected from the motherboard. it's got me extremely pissed at this point to where I'm about to say **** it and go back to cigs.

As the title states, are there any similar vape pens that don't have a poorly secured cap that will pop out and shred the wiring whenever I sit down?
@hemispheres ... to be blunt the first mistake was ordering it from ebay without checking with some veteran vapers to see if the place was good to buy from. With that said... we all made our "newb" mistakes, and hopefully learned from them.
If you want to stay with the Ego/pen style battery... I prefer the Evods for quality of build. Spinners are ok, but tend to be "tempermental". My favorite is the Tesla Spider... it's a little bigger... but very sturdy.
If you want to step up to a Mod... I highly recommend the iStick or MVP2. I own 2 of each and they both are variable voltage/wattage and allows you much more freedom.

hemispheres

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Alright, can anyone verify the Tesla Spider doesn't pop a cap like the ego does?

rich424

Member For 4 Years
Went from a ego style, then Vision Spinner 2. After a couple weeks I bought the iStick. I have a Kanger protank mini 3 with it. It works great. I would really like to try a Nautilus mini with it. I am however going through more juice!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My egos were giving out on me so I went with a C#-6X:
Ebay

vapepros11 (1009 )
1300mAh X6 Vaporizer Replacement Battery Variable Voltage VV MOD vape pen #c-X6 ($11.97)
I wanted to keep this pen as a backup.
You can find the 6X on Ebay but you'll probably need a new charger as the ego chargers don't fit on the 6X head without an adapter.

I also got an iStick by Eleaf:
Ebay
uvape (426 )
iStick by Eleaf (20W) + 510 adapter included
I really like my iStick. It's got lots of mah (translates to use time between charging) and it's a very nice size for carry.

The iStick (purchased on Ebay for $31.68) uses a mini USB charging cable. Most people have one laying around from an old MP3 player or phone charger but you'll will have to make that call. The iStick, purchased with the 510 adapter, will take anything you can use on the egos and more.
I am still using my fluxomizer clearomizers from Got Vapes. They hold about 1.5 ml juice at 2 ohms. When I order my juice, from Altcig.com, they include a small (17ml) fill bottle I transfer my juice to so filling the fluxomizers is just a matter of removing the mouthpiece and inserting the needle top of the bottle, very easy and quick. Since I got the iStick with the 510 adapter, I can use the protective cone, free with the fluxomizers, for an attractive vape. The tanks are an option but I'm cheap and I have had some leaky experience with tanks. Besides, I like filling with fresh juice twice a day. Some tanks have a tendency to cook the juice and turn it dark after a while, instead of the nice clean clearish color you get from fresh juice.
If you compare price the ego twist will cost about half the price of the iStick but the iStick has over twice the mah (2200) of the ego 1000 mah. and it's smaller so it balances out. I'm very satisfied with my iStick and the 6X is a great backup.

hemispheres

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Just ordered the Istick Eleaf from ebay, $35 with free shipping. Gonna show it to the manager at the local vape shop. The pens he sells with similar features go for $100 plus so it'll bring him some business.

I found a lady, April Trammell, that sells lanyards and carriers for ecigs. I got one from her that was wide enough for the iStick but I had to turn it inside out, cut about 3" off the bottom, sew it back up and return it to the original side out. Now I can carry my iStick on a lanyard around my neck, either inside or out of my shirt. Personally, I find this very convenient. I Always have it with me. The iStick isn't heavy enough to be uncomfortable and less likely to be damaged or dropped like this. I got the leather like (not real leather) very soft material and lined with a little padding material I'm very happy with it's performance. Her phone is 817-266-0770. The link is: [email protected]. If she doesn't have the size you need, she will make one up and have it ready to ship in a day or so. I hope you enjoy you iStick as much as I have.
Happy vaping, 73,
fieldh0

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
If you end up wanting another pen style, I 2nd the Tesla Spider. I have a 2nd on on the way, thanks to Pami. I got both of mine from Discount Vapers for less than $20. LOVE mine.

hemispheres

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The istick came in today... it's like being a kid in a candy store. Love it so far, and it came with the 510 to ego adapter. Manager at at the local vape shop wants to take a look at it and if he likes it and can make money off of it he'll give me a storewide 15% discount.

The istick came in today... it's like being a kid in a candy store. Love it so far, and it came with the 510 to ego adapter. Manager at at the local vape shop wants to take a look at it and if he likes it and can make money off of it he'll give me a storewide 15% discount.
Happy vaping. I've found I can keep mine down on lowest settings with a 2 ohm fluximizer-clearomiser and get over 3 days use with one charge. The lithium-ion batts. like to be completely used down before the first couple of chargings to avoid memory but since the iStick can be used as a passthrough, that's not a problem. Glad your enjoying hope your vape dealer comes through. A store wide 15% discount is a winner.

hemispheres

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm using the KangerTech Evod with the it set on 7 watts or 4 volts. I used it all day yesterday at work and didn't even use up a 1/4 of the battery. I noticed different tanks register differently with the ohm readout. Am I correct in assuming once the ohms start increasing the coil is beginning to go out?

I'm assuming you are aware of the different ohm values assigned to different tanks. I am using an iStick with a 2ohm fluximizer-clearomiser. Since the iStick gives constant readout of resistance, I too have noticed a slight variation in resistance. I've seen it as high as 2.3 ohms, I'm assuming, because the variation in time taken to take a drag, there can, sometimes, be a residual of juice buildup in the actual vaporizing chamber which would, slightly, change the resistance values. With further use the ohms will settle back down to 2 ohms. It's my opinion that these variables can be expected due to differences in construction, time, and duration of draw. I have not noticed any correlation with longevity of the tank. Anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong.

VU Sponsors