Become a Patron!

Looking for first RDA/RTA

Hello all,

I am looking for my first RDA/RTA. In the past I have always used tanks. For the past couple months I have been using a Kanger Pro-Tank 2 and have loved it. But, a week ago the threads in the bottom section of the tank have stripped out so now the base won't stay attached.

I already have a whole roll of 28 gauge Kanthal because I have been rebuilding the micro-coils for the ProTank 2 for a couple months now. I am just tired of fiddling with those tiny coils and the little rubber isolators that keep tearing. So I'm not a complete noob to building coils.

What I'm looking for:

I like the idea of a RTA because I can't always carry a bottle of juice of around with me all the time to refill an RDA. BUT...here's my 1 restriction. I have a Sigelei Mini ZMax VV/VW mod that I love and works great. The only problem is, that mod won't allow me to go sub-Ohm and I don't have a ton of money to go buy another mod. So whatever setup I get, I would need to be able to build it at 1.0 Ohm or bigger. I don't care so much about vaping HUGE clouds as much as I do getting good flavor.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tepid

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Velocity for RDA

TFv4 for RTA , this will giv you some choices and head room for expanding your vape when ready

You can also look at Kayfun, Lemo 2 and others like them
Kayfun is a mouth to lung draw

The Kanger Subtank Mini would work also,, just build coils the same way you have been.

My suggestion is the Velocity for RDA and the TFv4. Won't go wrong with either of them.

John C

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Im gonna throw my 2 cents:

Subtank mini for RTA...or TFv4

Mutation x v4 for RDA. authentic new can be had for like 25 bucks, maybe including shipping too. 4 posts.

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
For rda I'd say fishbone bc with the glass top you don't have to worry about a arc/short. Also sub tank mini v2 for rta also they have a new one on the way soon v2le.

Last edited:

Tepid

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I disagree, over all the TFv4 is a superior tank in general to the Kanger, I have both

The Mutation X v4 can be a good RDA, but there is the potential for leaks based on how the Airflow is designed under the coils
I have a Magma, and it has a super deep well, Good Atty. but still has issues with leaking.

I have a Mutation X v3 and that one is very good, but the screws are garbage. and 28G will have issues with the Mutation cutting the leads.
If you can find replacement screws, like grub screws, you might have a better time with it.

The Velocity IMO is far superior anyway. The Velocity Post design should be the defacto going forward imo.

I forgot to mention the Aromamizer RDTA, I don't have one, but it looks interesting. And will probably get one.

The Fishbone looks interesting, but again. I think the under coil airflow is a bad design over all.

Honestly, I am getting the best flavor and vapor from the Velocity or the Mutation X v3 (which I do like, just the screws suck).

I have a Fountain v2 coming in tomorrow. That one will be interesting to play with.

With all the suggestions you all gave...would I be able to build above 1 Ohm on them. What setup should I look for to accomplish this?

Tepid

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
With all the suggestions you all gave...would I be able to build above 1 Ohm on them. What setup should I look for to accomplish this?

Yes
Any build you want, almost. Unless you start getting into the Triple Helix Clapton Fused Dragon Mississippi Brown coil, You will be fine.
The TFv4 has a better deck as well than the Kanger

Note that the coil placement has as much to do with a good vape as air flow.

This will work

http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp?r=1&awg=28&id=1.5&ws=0.5

forgot to mention that the Velocity is really a Dual Coil,, but
You can do what you want on that as well with 28G wire

http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp?r=2&awg=28&id=3&ws=0.5

One more Edit... You could even start playing around with Twisted using the 28G wire.

Last edited:
Thanks.

What I have been doing in my ProTank2 is 10 wraps of 28g and that normally gives me 1.3-1.5 Ohm.

So if I build the exact same coil in an RDA or RTA I should end up with the same Ohm's?

And as long as I don't go too low on my wrap count or add a second coil I should stay around what I'm used to correct?

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I disagree, over all the TFv4 is a superior tank in general to the Kanger, I have both

The Mutation X v4 can be a good RDA, but there is the potential for leaks based on how the Airflow is designed under the coils
I have a Magma, and it has a super deep well, Good Atty. but still has issues with leaking.

I have a Mutation X v3 and that one is very good, but the screws are garbage. and 28G will have issues with the Mutation cutting the leads.
If you can find replacement screws, like grub screws, you might have a better time with it.

The Velocity IMO is far superior anyway. The Velocity Post design should be the defacto going forward imo.

I forgot to mention the Aromamizer RDTA, I don't have one, but it looks interesting. And will probably get one.

The Fishbone looks interesting, but again. I think the under coil airflow is a bad design over all.

Honestly, I am getting the best flavor and vapor from the Velocity or the Mutation X v3 (which I do like, just the screws suck).

I have a Fountain v2 coming in tomorrow. That one will be interesting to play with.
Hey i'm not disagreeing with anything you said but want to point out that the subtank is easier and cheeper. The single coil rba with the tuck under design is a pita exp for a beginner. Also if they don't like rebuilding the kanger coils are a lot cheaper. Same with the rda 5$ for the fishbone and dumbie proof.

Tepid

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey i'm not disagreeing with anything you said but want to point out that the subtank is easier and cheeper. The single coil rba with the tuck under design is a pita exp for a beginner. Also if they don't like rebuilding the kanger coils are a lot cheaper. Same with the rda 5$ for the fishbone and dumbie proof.

Well partially agree.

The TFv4 single coil dec k, your right it is a bad design.
and you can get the pre-made coils cheaper for the Kanger at I think 1.2ohm.

The Fishbone, being glass I would not take outside or walk around with too much.
drop it and it's toast.

the TFv4 you can get the dual deck cheap, and it's better to build on, single or dual coil.

Ok, Kanger is ok, but TFv4 is still better

Last edited:

Tepid

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
before we go off any deeper though, I will agree the Kanger is good for the price.

What is your budget and time frame, ffemt602?

Time frame isn't an issue. I am using an old Aspire "something" clearomizer for the time being.

Budget wise...I would love to keep it under $20 if possible. I've been looking at all the suggestions and it looks like an RDA is going to be the cheaper of the options.

Also, the Sigelei Mini Zmax is 22mm in diameter so I don't want anything wider than that and I don't want a device that's just as long as my mod. Something kinda short and not too wide is preferable.

Tepid

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok, so it looks like your Zmax is limited to 1.2ohm minimum

lets actually step back for a few moments

the best option for you as a Single coil builder. would something different

give me a few moments.

Tepid

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I will change my recommendation to you.

I don't have one of these, but I have heard good things about them.

My bad, I actually meant the Doge v2, sorry

Look at Tugboats as well, they are a decent atty. Tight Draw.

Last edited:

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Time frame isn't an issue. I am using an old Aspire "something" clearomizer for the time being.

Budget wise...I would love to keep it under $20 if possible. I've been looking at all the suggestions and it looks like an RDA is going to be the cheaper of the options.

Also, the Sigelei Mini Zmax is 22mm in diameter so I don't want anything wider than that and I don't want a device that's just as long as my mod. Something kinda short and not too wide is preferable.
Bud here's everything you need except a screwdriver for 18$ including shipping (if you spend 20$ or more you get faster shipping)
https://m.fasttech.com/p/3716100 https://m.fasttech.com/p/2390700 https://m.fasttech.com/p/2076000 https://m.fasttech.com/p/2126500
Also the rba head might come with a screwdriver and to get over 20$ and an extra glass tank and some orings you'll come out to 22$

Thanks. I'm really looking at the Kanger Subtank Mini. I think someone mentioned it earlier. It comes with a 1.2 Ohm prebuilt coil...as well as a mini RBA deck so I can rebuild instead of buying replacement coils. The first site I looked at has it for $24 without shipping. That I can do. I will do some more research and let you guys know what I decide.

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks. I'm really looking at the Kanger Subtank Mini. I think someone mentioned it earlier. It comes with a 1.2 Ohm prebuilt coil...as well as a mini RBA deck so I can rebuild instead of buying replacement coils. The first site I looked at has it for $24 without shipping. That I can do. I will do some more research and let you guys know what I decide.
Cool I like mine a lot and the link I gave you is for the clone (it's as good as the original) the rba link is for the original (clone rba sucks) than wire and cotton and fasttech is a legit site (but takes awhile to ship)

Thanks for everything.

I really like the size of the Subtank Nano but it doesn't have the option for the RBA deck. So now I'm leaning towards the Subtank Mini.

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks for everything.

I really like the size of the Subtank Nano but it doesn't have the option for the RBA deck. So now I'm leaning towards the Subtank Mini.
Ya I agree I wouldnt suggest the nano the link I gave ya was for the mini

Yeah. If the Nano had an RBA deck I would jump all over that. But since it doesn't, it looks like I will probably end up going with the Mini. Hopefully my Zmax will be able to run it ok. It's limited to 15 watts. I was running 1.4 Ohm coils in my Protank 2 at 11 watts and I really liked that setup. I would assume if I build a similar coil in the Subtank and run it at the same wattage, it should be fine.

Tepid

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yes, you might have to adjust the airflow to a tighter draw
it's capable of doing that

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yeah. If the Nano had an RBA deck I would jump all over that. But since it doesn't, it looks like I will probably end up going with the Mini. Hopefully my Zmax will be able to run it ok. It's limited to 15 watts. I was running 1.4 Ohm coils in my Protank 2 at 11 watts and I really liked that setup. I would assume if I build a similar coil in the Subtank and run it at the same wattage, it should be fine.
And here's a coil builders best friend http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp
Anytime you want to build a new kinda coil check it on there to see if it's going to work

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Make sure you know what you are getting.

I am not sure about those clones of the Subtank.

that one skiball listed does not come with a RBA Deck
and it only has a .5ohm atty with it.

Make sure you get one that has the RBA Deck.

https://www.fasttech.com/products/3006/10012000/3060000-subtank-mini-v2-styled-occ-clearomizer
I suggested to get the clone tank and original rba and gave links for both bc the clone rba sucks. Don't get the clone rba I bought 2 and the top cap was to tight to the deck and would get stuck the insulators arnt peek and the posts shift and will cause a short

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Best RDA on a budget IMHO the IGO-W2 they are super cheap and perform quite well and the really cool part is you will not have to run out and buy a new mod to run it on.

VU Sponsors