Become a Patron!

Looking for new battery

Flavorjunkie

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hi, I'm looking for a new 18650 battery for my mech mod. I don't want to get a fake, where should I go to buy?

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And what's the lowest resistance used in your attys?

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You can still get authentic sony vtc4's from a company called imrbatteries.com if im not mistaken.

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Moved to appropriate forum.

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi, I'm looking for a new 18650 battery for my mech mod. I don't want to get a fake, where should I go to buy?

When I vape at 0.3 ohms or higher I use Samsung 25R or LG HE2, both 20 amp max continuous discharge. When I go less than 0.3 ohms I use Sony VTC4 which are rated for 30A. IMRbatteries.com has these all in stock at pretty good prices. Illumination Supply is another good source.

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've heard good things about MNKE 30As. Don't know if they're actually 30As though. Are there any actual 30 amp batteries other than VTCs?

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
The best batteries we've tested so far for really sub ohm operation are the Sony VTC4 and the Efest 2100mAh 30A. The Samsung 25R is definitely the best 2500mAh.

I wouldn't recommend the MNKE 1500mAh, it's definitely inferior to the others I listed above.

For a good place to buy genuine batteries check us out as well at LiionWholesale.com. We have engineering on staff testing constantly to make sure all batteries are genuine, and we have all the tough to get batteries like Sony VTC4's and LG HE4's in stock. We're just now trying to get on the forums and are starting a blog very soon with lots of battery technical comparisons and data and other useful stuff.

Pretty sure this is OK to post with the rules, if not someone let me know! We're currently setting up to become a supporting vendor on this forum over the next week or two.

Last edited:

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Jon, what battery does Efest use for their 2100 mAh 30A?

At one point they literally were rewrapping sony vtc4's. I'm not sure if that's still the case. The performance was similar to a VTC4 the last time we tested it. They tell me that now it's made in-house but they've said that before about other batteries that they're just rewrapping. I've been meaning to unwrap one from a recent shipment so I'll do that when I get a few minutes over the next day or so and report back.

I suspect we'll find that it really is not a VTC4 anymore and is a chinese cell, in which case maybe we'll try to get these onto the testing queue soon for a in depth direct comparison vs the VTC4.

Last edited:

montijo505

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Illumn.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
At one point they literally were rewrapping sony vtc4's. I'm not sure if that's still the case. The performance was similar to a VTC4 the last time we tested it. They tell me that now it's made in-house but they've said that before about other batteries that they're just rewrapping. I've been meaning to unwrap one from a recent shipment so I'll do that when I get a few minutes over the next day or so and report back.

I suspect we'll find that it really is not a VTC4 anymore and is a chinese cell, in which case maybe we'll try to get these onto the testing queue soon for a in depth direct comparison vs the VTC4.

Confirmed it's an unmarked cell that doesn't look like any of the other major cells so I guess they really are making it like they say. We'll run some tests on it over the next few days to confirm the test results we have are still current and then I'll report back on how it compares.

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Confirmed it's an unmarked cell that doesn't look like any of the other major cells so I guess they really are making it like they say. We'll run some tests on it over the next few days to confirm the test results we have are still current and then I'll report back on how it compares.

Thanks Jon :). I thought they might still be VTC4's but have not seen anything reported about them for a while. It's too bad they switched, but it really doesn't surprise me too much.

Do you generate discharge curves when you test and at what amp drain do you do these? Do you cool the cells while testing?

vape.queen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I buy AW 18650 button tops from alliexpress.com

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Thanks Jon :). I thought they might still be VTC4's but have not seen anything reported about them for a while. It's too bad they switched, but it really doesn't surprise me too much.

Do you generate discharge curves when you test and at what amp drain do you do these? Do you cool the cells while testing?

Agreed. They're at least solid batteries still, we at least have the quick testing done at incoming inspection and I can see they are one of the better batteries. We'll see more when we can do more testing.

Yep, we generate discharge curves as well as lots of other cool proprietary test protocols. Generally we'll do discharge curves up to the point where the battery is clearly not of much use at those amps due to voltage sag, which is usually a bit higher amps than they're rated at. We do momentary pulse tests up to the point where the battery literally drops to 2.5V just from the load.

We don't actively cool the cells so far, our testing equipment blows a very light little bit of airflow onto the battery but it's near insignificant. Actively cooling them is one thing we've considered as an alternate test when doing an in-depth review but it's not something we've done thus far.

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I buy AW 18650 button tops from alliexpress.com

Just FYI this is not a good idea. In addition to it taking forever to ship, I can 100% guarantee you that every single AW battery on aliexpress is a fake. AW does not sell to China. For that matter 99% of what's on ebay or amazon is also fake, at least for AW. If you want AW batteries, definitely only get them from an authorized dealer.

(FYI I'm not saying that from a commercial perspective, although we are an authorized distributor of AW we're not stocking them or selling them at this point, I just want people to be safe)

vape.queen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just FYI this is not a good idea. In addition to it taking forever to ship, I can 100% guarantee you that every single AW battery on aliexpress is a fake. AW does not sell to China. For that matter 99% of what's on ebay or amazon is also fake, at least for AW. If you want AW batteries, definitely only get them from an authorized dealer.

(FYI I'm not saying that from a commercial perspective, although we are an authorized distributor of AW we're not stocking them or selling them at this point, I just want people to be safe)
Thanks man

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Thanks man
No problem :). If the batteries are working for you then you may want to keep using them, most times the fake batteries aren't horrible because the sellers don't want people to immediately know they're fake. But definitely don't push them anywhere near what their supposed limits are, and check them from time to time to be sure they're not getting hot or anything like that.

vape.queen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
No problem :). If the batteries are working for you then you may want to keep using them, most times the fake batteries aren't horrible because the sellers don't want people to immediately know they're fake. But definitely don't push them anywhere near what their supposed limits are, and check them from time to time to be sure they're not getting hot or anything like that.
You know, I was skeptical about buying them there but, they are the best batteries I've ever used. If they aren't authentic AWs....they are damn good fakes! Lol

vape.queen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Oh, and I've used batteries before that got hot on me...so scary! They were the demonfires...those were hit and miss..but they were terrible nonetheless. Anything with "fire" or "fest" have been terrible batteries for me.

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I bought all my batteries from RTD vapor. They're an authorized (and reputable) reseller for AW batteries, and I also bought my Sony vtc5s from them back when they were available. I'd never buy batteries from Amazon or Ebay!

I got lucky. Most people won't.

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Agreed. They're at least solid batteries still, we at least have the quick testing done at incoming inspection and I can see they are one of the better batteries. We'll see more when we can do more testing.

Yep, we generate discharge curves as well as lots of other cool proprietary test protocols. Generally we'll do discharge curves up to the point where the battery is clearly not of much use at those amps due to voltage sag, which is usually a bit higher amps than they're rated at. We do momentary pulse tests up to the point where the battery literally drops to 2.5V just from the load.

Very good stuff Jon :)

I don't know if proprietary tests are processes you want to keep private and if they are, no problem, I can understand that. If however you are comfortable sharing some information about about any of these tests, I would be interested to know more about them.

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Very good stuff Jon :)

I don't know if proprietary tests are processes you want to keep private and if they are, no problem, I can understand that. If however you are comfortable sharing some information about about any of these tests, I would be interested to know more about them.

We might share some, it's one of the big questions about our upcoming blog of exactly how much we share outside of our conclusions. Trying to find the right balance between giving information and enabling competitors. Glad to hear someone cares about the technical details though:)

montijo505

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
+1... One of the few reputable places that only sell legit stuff. I got 6 25R's from them. They sometimes still have VTC4-5s
I got a pair of 25R's and a pair of VTC4's, wanted VTC5's but they only had the 4's, it's ok they're both 30A continuous, the 5'a are just 2600mah as opposed to the 4's 2100mah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fictitious Character

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The best batteries we've tested so far for really sub ohm operation are the Sony VTC4 and the Efest 2100mAh 30A. The Samsung 25R is definitely the best 2500mAh.

I wouldn't recommend the MNKE 1500mAh, it's definitely inferior to the others I listed above.

For a good place to buy genuine batteries check us out as well at LiionWholesale.com. We have engineering on staff testing constantly to make sure all batteries are genuine, and we have all the tough to get batteries like Sony VTC4's and LG HE4's in stock. We're just now trying to get on the forums and are starting a blog very soon with lots of battery technical comparisons and data and other useful stuff.

Pretty sure this is OK to post with the rules, if not someone let me know! We're currently setting up to become a supporting vendor on this forum over the next week or two.
You have some good prices. I normally would go to illumn but may have to check you guys out on the next round. What are your shipping charges like?

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
You have some good prices. I normally would go to illumn but may have to check you guys out on the next round. What are your shipping charges like?

Thanks. We charge actual shipping costs and you can choose between any USPS or UPS service. There's a shipping estimator on the cart page, at the bottom, that you can check out so you know exactly how much it will cost.

TwistedVaper

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I wouldnt buy a Sony 18650. They are too commonly counterfeited and they fakes are so good now that it's often hard to tell if you are getting a real or fake one. I just wouldnt mess with it, there are other brands of 18650's that are just as good if not better. The Vamped Vapor Cell 18650s are really good. They are 40A so they really pack a punch

Mutated_Mutation

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I wouldnt buy a Sony 18650. They are too commonly counterfeited and they fakes are so good now that it's often hard to tell if you are getting a real or fake one. I just wouldnt mess with it, there are other brands of 18650's that are just as good if not better. The Vamped Vapor Cell 18650s are really good. They are 40A so they really pack a punch
They are NOT 40A bud.

Chainvapor

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Just to put in my 2 cents - I have the Samsung 20R, Samsung 25R, and Sony VTC4 batteries. I have to say I like the Samsung 25R batteries the best. I would not try to run them in a super-subohm build because of the 20amp limit, but they work great and last longer than my VTC4 batteries.

CV

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

That's definitely how they're being advertised. There's a world of difference between advertising and actual ratings though. Efest batteries are the best example. Sure, for vaping related applications a VTC4 may as well be a 60amp battery because no one is going to take a 30 second drag. However,
when it's being used that way it's using some absurd amounts of power and won't seem like a 2100mAh battery, much less the 3500 mAh Efest advertises it as being. Hence, no one really pushes VTC batteries past 30amps. No one wants a face full of molten Li-ion. Take a look at the spec chart for the VTC4 below.

1975195_1467956360090200_1337655898_n_zps11934713.jpg

Until Vamped Vapor releases a data sheet like this I'm not using their batteries. Hell, I'd bet they're rewraped Imren or Sony batteries. If they're Imren that would make them rewraps of rewraps which would be fucking hilarious.

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
To be fair, I have no idea what a Vamped battery is inside and we've never tested them. But like any unknown battery I would be cautious with them until some good testing has been done.

Last edited:

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Did a little digging on ECF. Apparently someone emailed the company.

Thanks for your email. To give you a little insight on the battery, we are working with one of the largest manufacturer in China and had the Vamped Vapor Cell custom made to reach 40 amps. The manufacturer produces millions of batteries for other large name brand batteries. They developed the custom cell for me, and will not release it for anyone else. My manufacturer has told me we have the strongest 18650 battery on the market at 40 amps, and they have not developed anything stronger for anyone.
When it comes to 40 amp discharge and 20 amp continuous, this is referring to an average pulse rate of 60 seconds. If you hold your button down for longer than 60 seconds the amps will drop to 20. For an average vaper, a pull is no longer than 60 seconds, so the amps will continue to remain at 40 amps. This is everything that we were told from our manufacturer. I hope this can answer some of your questions. If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Kyle Winther
Chief Executive Officer

So,

Vamped = 20 cont, 40 pulse
Samsung = 20 cont, 40 pulse
Sony = 30 cont, 60 pulse

I know Samsung and Sony. I've been using Sonys since I started vaping. I know how they behave. I'm using VTC5s and 4s in a Changling right now. There's a Tobh V2 with a 0.24 ohm dual coil sitting on it right now. The batteries aren't even getting warm. Now, the atty and mod heat up, but whenever I pull the battery to check on it it's cool to the touch.

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
That is quite interesting. Maybe we should get some of those to test and see what's up. However, I don't have that high hopes based on their response. The whole dropping to 20A after 60 seconds like there's some kind of timer circuit in there...that's impossible without some circuitry.

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That is quite interesting. Maybe we should get some of those to test and see what's up. However, I don't have that high hopes based on their response. The whole dropping to 20A after 60 seconds like there's some kind of timer circuit in there...that's impossible without some circuitry.

I suppose. I'm no expert, I certainly don't know as much on the subject as you do. However, I took it to mean that it's just a 60 second 40 amp pulse rating. I took his wording to be him talking his way around the fact that if you make a build that will draw nearly 40 amps that if the button gets held down for more than 60 seconds (say you use a mech mod and forget to lock your button or you have a magnetic switch and it gets fired in your pocket or purse) it will blow up.

battery bro

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Guys, there are a few things to know.

Pulse tests are meaningless without knowing two things - time and amperage.

40A is completely meaningless marketing. There is no 18650 that can safely discharge a continuous 40 amps unfortunately.

They are most likely rewrapped HE2 or 25Rs. They might be anything though, as I'm not sure how strong their trademark is. Several factories in China have told me they can wrap me "Vamped" cells.

There are no timer circuits in 18650 batteries. However certain protection devices can get triggered, and later resolve (not circuitry). That is besides the point though.

I want to show you what real pulse ratings look like, so take a look at the Samsung 25R specification sheet:

high-pulse_1024x1024.jpg

Notice how amperage is always coupled with time. This is what a pulse rating is. Only a continuous discharge can have one variable. For example: [65A - 1sec]... this means the Samsung 25R has been officially tested to pulse 65 amps for 1 second.
I wouldn't do this thought, as it is pushing the limit and decreasing the total cycle life of your cells.

battery bro

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I suppose. I'm no expert, I certainly don't know as much on the subject as you do. However, I took it to mean that it's just a 60 second 40 amp pulse rating. I took his wording to be him talking his way around the fact that if you make a build that will draw nearly 40 amps that if the button gets held down for more than 60 seconds (say you use a mech mod and forget to lock your button or you have a magnetic switch and it gets fired in your pocket or purse) it will blow up.

A 60 second, 40 amp pulse simply does not exist. The problem is you have to make up 60 seconds because that company did not tell you. Actually if you take a look at the chart above, the Samsung 25R can only do 40A for 5 seconds safely!

Whats more, is that cell is likely a low grade 25R or a lesser cell.

That vamped cell should not be used at more than 20A.

VU Sponsors