Become a Patron!

Luxyoun 100w Wooden Box Mod

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well I've been vaping on the Luxyoun 100w wooden box mod all day and I'm really liking it and only finding a few issues to bring up none of which really bother me.

One on the up side... how long the eFest 2500mah 30a battery has been lasting when compared to the Vaporshark DNA 30 w/1300mah... it's been a night and day improvement on battery life. Typically using a 1.8Ω coil on the VS and set to 12.5w... I come home with about 1.3-1.2 of the battery remaining... On the Lux, I've been vaping with a 1.2Ω coil ( in the Subtank ) set at 25w and so far I've only used about 6% of the battery up which would be only about 25% of the capacity that the VS has.

The wood has been really nice to feel in my hand... soft and warm instead of cold like the metal box's are. The Lux is about a 1/4" longer and taller than my Smok XPro BT50 and about the same width ( 25mm )... so bigger which to me is a slight negative. The corners are about the same radius as the BT50 but not quite rounded as much as the VS has... so another slight negative but just barely. The door uses screws to fix it... they should have gone with magnets which would have helped avoid the next negative... Being made of wood, it lends to warping and the battery door already has a slight warp when I got it... I won't call it a negative because I'd expect wood to behave that way.. but it could have been avoided if the door hadn't been held on with screws.

Now to function... The buttons are a little rattly... but not bad since I need to shake it pretty good to hear them. The screen is great... it has a battery graphic as well as the actual remaining voltage, the voltage, ohms and wattage are all shown and it has a puff counter with a duration of the last draw shown. The up/down buttons are nice and my preference but for those that may want a menu item... you can also use the gravity sensors to set the output, reset the puff counter and turn off the device. Three clicks on the fire button locks the device and 5 clicks to get into the system menus which are controlled by tilting left/right.

When the screen goes out to sleep... you don't have to wait for it to wake up or click more than once... it fires right away. The wattage setting is an area that it lacks a little in, at least on the lower side... it only adjusts in 1w increments and I'm used to being able to adjust in 0.1w on my other devices. On higher wattages that isn't bad since it still equates to about a 0.1v or less change but on lower wattages it may mean 0.3v changes. At the 25w range I'm vaping my Subtank at... 1w changes are fine... but if I were to vape my Aerotank v2 where I often vape at 11.5w-12.5w it would make quite a difference.

I think I may have focused a little too much on the niggly bits which may make this come off too negative... but my opinion is really pretty good on this mod... I like it much more than the Smok BT50 even though it's a little larger, the comfort that the wood brings make up a lot for any minor size issue I have. The ability of it to fire immediately also is much nicer than the BT50 but the VS does that also. The VS is better in the size department but it lacks in battery capacity. I suspect the BT50 will now gather dust and from now on, I'll carry both the VS and the Lux... one for the size and convenience and the other because of how long the battery will last and the feel of the device.

Luxyoun100w.jpg

Dan DePippo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Thanks for the review, been waiting to hear about this mod and battery life being its a single. Looks like the right thickness for the subtank. Just wish they had put screen on the side. Then they could have slimmed it down a lil bit. It does look pretty well made for the price. Hows the fire button feel it looks like a nice button.

Dissonance

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Not a personal fan of the BT50 and Bluetooth but this mod looks nice. I like the aesthetics and simplicity. It looks like it has a substantial measure of weight and width between the mod and tank. Wider display mounted on the side would have been nice without the logo on the front, just plain natural grain wood. Looks like Mahogany. I could see it having a good feel and more for use around the house. Pretty good for $70. You can trade or donate the BT50 so it doesn't just sit and collect dust, someone would appreciate it. Enjoy your Luxyoun.

Last edited:

Scuba-Matt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Good review. The chip is made by YiHi cigar (SX1,000) and spect for Luxyoun. The only down side of the chip is the faint buzzing sound when the chip is in step down. Over all I would say its a good bang for the buck.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Good review. The chip is made by YiHi cigar (SX1,000) and spect for Luxyoun. The only down side of the chip is the faint buzzing sound when the chip is in step down. Over all I would say its a good bang for the buck.
That's what I was trying to remember. Is it confirmed that they all do it?

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
rdsok. Is that logo lasered in there or just painted on?

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just a quick reply before heading to work...

The buttons feel just fine and the slight rattle I mentioned must be forced, a light shaking will not do it.

The screen, had they chosen to... would probably fit on the side. As for the labeling, it doesn't bother me so I don't think it's worth a mention except in the personal preference column. I do like the screen on that side, when firing with my left hand using my thumb ( which is what I usually do ), the screen is right there where I can see it... on either side it would be obscured by my hand.

Speculation.... I'm beginning to think the YiHi SX1000 is just a revision of the SX350 chip... with slightly different graphics. It does buzz when stepping down but it's not loud, I had to put my ear to it in order to even hear it.

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
rdsok. Is that logo lasered in there or just painted on?

Gold paint on plastic... not sure why you'd though lasered on since it's not on the wood itself, I've never seen a lasered painted anything.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Gold paint on plastic... not sure why you'd though lasered on since it's not on the wood itself, I've never seen a lasered painted anything.
Just wondering if it was engraved into the plastic then paint filled or if it might be removed. Much of the logo stuff done in China is laser engraved whether wood or metal since it can be programmed and replicated easily so that's the first thing to come to mind. Not even sure you can laser engrave plastic without slagging it.

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just wondering if it was engraved into the plastic then paint filled or if it might be removed. Much of the logo stuff done in China is laser engraved whether wood or metal since it can be programmed and replicated easily so that's the first thing to come to mind. Not even sure you can laser engrave plastic without slagging it.

Just a thin plastic cover over the screen... painted on the reverse side... so the gold color went down first with the black masking after that.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Well I've been vaping on the Luxyoun 100w wooden box mod all day and I'm really liking it and only finding a few issues to bring up none of which really bother me.

One on the up side... how long the eFest 2500mah 30a battery has been lasting when compared to the Vaporshark DNA 30 w/1300mah... it's been a night and day improvement on battery life. Typically using a 1.8Ω coil on the VS and set to 12.5w... I come home with about 1.3-1.2 of the battery remaining... On the Lux, I've been vaping with a 1.2Ω coil ( in the Subtank ) set at 25w and so far I've only used about 6% of the battery up which would be only about 25% of the capacity that the VS has.

The wood has been really nice to feel in my hand... soft and warm
instead of cold like the metal box's are. The Lux is about a 1/4" longer and taller than my Smok XPro BT50 and about the same width ( 25mm )... so bigger which to me is a slight negative. The corners are about the same radius as the BT50 but not quite rounded as much as the VS has... so another slight negative but just barely. The door uses screws to fix it... they should have gone with magnets which would have helped avoid the next negative... Being made of wood, it lends to warping and the battery door already has a slight warp when I got it... I won't call it a negative because I'd expect wood to behave that way.. but it could have been avoided if the door hadn't been held on with screws.

Now to function... The buttons are a little rattly... but not bad since I need to shake it pretty good to hear them. The screen is great... it has a battery graphic as well as the actual remaining voltage, the voltage, ohms and wattage are all shown and it has a puff counter with a duration of the last draw shown. The up/down buttons are nice and my preference but for those that may want a menu item... you can also use the gravity sensors to set the output, reset the puff counter and turn off the device. Three clicks on the fire button locks the device and 5 clicks to get into the system menus which are controlled by tilting left/right.

When the screen goes out to sleep... you don't have to wait for it to wake up or click more than once... it fires right away. The wattage setting is an area that it lacks a little in, at least on the lower side... it only adjusts in 1w increments and I'm used to being able to adjust in 0.1w on my other devices. On higher wattages that isn't bad since it still equates to about a 0.1v or less change but on lower wattages it may mean 0.3v changes. At the 25w range I'm vaping my Subtank at... 1w changes are fine... but if I were to vape my Aerotank v2 where I often vape at 11.5w-12.5w it would make quite a difference.

I think I may have focused a little too much on the niggly bits which may make this come off too negative... but my opinion is really pretty good on this mod... I like it much more than the Smok BT50 even though it's a little larger, the comfort that the wood brings make up a lot for any minor size issue I have. The ability of it to fire immediately also is much nicer than the BT50 but the VS does that also. The VS is better in the size department but it lacks in battery capacity. I suspect the BT50 will now gather dust and from now on, I'll carry both the VS and the Lux... one for the size and convenience and the other because of how long the battery will last and the feel of the device.

Luxyoun100w.jpg
1XcIzF7.jpg

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Just a thin plastic cover over the screen... painted on the reverse side... so the gold color went down first with the black masking after that.
Thanks for the info. Sort of thing you just can't tell without having one in hand.

VU Sponsors