Become a Patron!

Magma - Leakage through threads?

Sean Di Rienzo

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I've recently started using the magma I received from focalecig. I love the device, the flavour is great. It has not leaked once through the airhole and I love the design.

However, I've noticed condensation forming on the upper deck of the magma when I go to re-drip, this appears after prolonged periods of draws and inactivity. It leaks through the threads onto the base ring. It is by no means full concentration e-liquid but is slightly sticky and much thinner.

I'm pretty sure it's just condensed hot vapor that liquifies once it hits the cooler steel.

Is there anyway to prevent this from leaking through the threads? This is the only downfall so far but I basically need a paperwork on me at all times.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Short answer...no. It is a dripper thing. It is not leaking from anywhere...condensation forms just as you described.

Ellipsis

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
i get the same thing...worse when you overfill and inadvertantly tip the mouthpiece toward you...
i just get into the habit of wiping out the top cap and wiping off the deck every now and again when i remove the topcap to refill...
chalked it up to the price you gotta pay for the awesome vape you get...

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
i get the same thing...worse when you overfill and inadvertantly tip the mouthpiece toward you...
i just get into the habit of wiping out the top cap and wiping off the deck every now and again when i remove the topcap to refill...
chalked it up to the price you gotta pay for the awesome vape you get...
Plus it is also a good habit to get into, to clean your contacts every so often. Dried juice deadens the contact and leads to decreased juice getting to your juice!

Ellipsis

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
i clean my contacts every night before bed...
so my eyes dont get irritated...:D

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
This RDA does have a habit of leaking if you routinely drip from the top , it should not leak if you unscrew the top and fill that way . I don't store or put the Magma to the side unless it's vaped almost completely dry so maybe thats a reason i don't experience leakage /condensation.

I make sure i tuck a lot of wick deep into the well to absorb most of the juice and fill by unscrewing the top , most complaints i see is when dripping from the top as the juice does tend to get slathered around the air holes .

I use a single coil (large diameter) 7/64th or even a 1/8 size mandrel , i then thread a generous amount of Rayon or Cotton wick through the single coil and leave the ends long while tucking them deep into the well .

The whole wick should look like a giant (U) , haven't experienced any leaking or condensation issues but like i said i vape it almost dry before storing it.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
One of the things I love about the Magma is that I can drip directly through the top cap. I normally hit it with about 10 drips with no leakage (providing I take a pull straight away).

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You should be able to drip from the top with all dripper's imo , they are after all called dripper's lol. The Magma is the only RDA that i know of that gets routinely criticized for it's leakage issues when dripping from the top .

It certainly can be done with no leakage but it's well makes it easy to miss and get liquid all over the sides , other than that it kicks ass.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
You should be able to drip from the top with all dripper's imo , they are after all called dripper's lol. The Magma is the only RDA that i know of that gets routinely criticized for it's leakage issues when dripping from the top .

It certainly can be done with no leakage but it's well makes it easy to miss and get liquid all over the sides , other than that it kicks ass.
What makes it so easy to drip top centre is the fact that the "centre post" is offset, so you are not dripping on that post, but directly into the well.

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Don't shoot the messenger , glad you don't have issues but there are a lot who complain about it on the Magma and say it does not happen with their other dripper's. Thats all i'm saying.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Don't shoot the messenger , glad you don't have issues but there are a lot who complain about it on the Magma and say it does not happen with their other dripper's. Thats all i'm saying.
Oh I know! No shot fired here. We all know that people will always have issues with something. I get a lot of stick because I dislike the Mutation X.

Ellipsis

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
i dont have to use aftershave/cologne anymore...
magma rda set on a battery...
drip...vape a bit...
put the setup in my shirt pocket...
eliquid seeps outa the dripper, soaks a bit into the fabric of my shirt...
ba-da-bing... i smell like suicide bunny mothers milk...
a new reason to love the magma ...:D

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Oh I know! No shot fired here. We all know that people will always have issues with something. I get a lot of stick because I dislike the Mutation X.

Even when i have no issues whatsoever with a device but i hear others complain i admit i first think " how the heck are you having issues" .

The device has zero issues, lol but thats my opinion on it , if they are having issues than i guess they are having issues , doesn't mean everybody is though.

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
i dont have to use aftershave/cologne anymore...
magma rda set on a battery...
drip...vape a bit...
put the setup in my shirt pocket...
eliquid seeps outa the dripper, soaks a bit into the fabric of my shirt...
ba-da-bing... i smell like suicide bunny mothers milk...
a new reason to love the magma ...:D

You put the Magma in your shirt pocket , not me man , one dropped pen can cause a fatality. Now the Veritas i will stash anywhere , that one never leaks.

CloudPusher

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Just put a rubber o ring right below the thread's. Screw cap back on. Problem solved. I do this for one of my RDA's and never had a problem after.

Ellipsis

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
what vape related device doesnt have issues...
the magma isnt perfect..
i love the damn thing...
condensation builds inside the topcap, finds its way to the deck...
when i use cotton as a wick, the wick comes into contact with the deck somewhere...
as the cotton absorbs and swells, a bit of juice starts to accumulate on the deck...
paper towel, anyone?

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
That is the beauty of vaping these days. There are so many choices, everyone will get what they want ultimately.

Sean Di Rienzo

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
OP Here. Just to clarify. I have had ZERO issues with leaking through the airholes. My issue was condensation on the upper-deck leaking through the threads to the AFV ring.

I have since found a solution. If I setup the magma without the AFV ring, it allows me to screw on the top-cap completely and it clicks into place. It appears the AFV ring was preventing the top-cap from sealing properly on the threads.

This limits my airflow options but it does not leak nearly as much.
Pretty bummed out because I accidentally broke the USB-charger on my hannah mods device :(. I have to charge my 18650 in another apv before use ><

I also drip through the top-cap with a syringe. I just drip slowly onto the insulator thing inbetween the posts and it naturally soaks into the wicks.

Last edited:

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Just put a rubber o ring right below the thread's. Screw cap back on. Problem solved. I do this for one of my RDA's and never had a problem after.

I have heard quite a few that remove the airflow ring and add an o ring and they say it completely seals the magma , have not tried it myself.

OP Here. Just to clarify. I have had ZERO issues with leaking through the airholes. My issue was condensation on the upper-deck leaking through the threads to the AFV ring.

I have since found a solution. If I setup the magma without the AFV ring, it allows me to screw on the top-cap completely and it clicks into place. It appears the AFV ring was preventing the top-cap from sealing properly on the threads.

This limits my airflow options but it does not leak nearly as much.
Pretty bummed out because I accidentally broke the USB-charger on my hannah mods device :(. I have to charge my 18650 in another apv before use ><

I also drip through the top-cap with a syringe. I just drip slowly onto the insulator thing inbetween the posts and it naturally soaks into the wicks.

Now thats a smart way to do it , a syringe to stick down into that narrow middle section in the well would work very well . Good tip

As far as eliminating condensation completely , i don't know if thats possible , a small trade off we must live with i suppose.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I dont think the problem is as much dripping as it is the splatter from firing the coils.
That collects on that deck with the holes and... flows down the holes. Also the splatter on the walls falls down to that same deck. OP, I think that's your leak, not through the threads.
If your afc ring is not letting the cap sit all the way down, set it on a piece of wet sand paper and take what you need off of it (top of the ring) to let the cap sit all the way down.
I also don't use the insulator piece, those posts are not going to budge and you get more room for juice.

If you grind a channel to take the splatter back down to the well instead of down the holes you will get less leakage.

Been thinking about doing this for a while and thought it would be a good Saturday morning project. Took 10 min and works great.

2014-10-11 09.37.21.png

Last edited:

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I never had splatter since i vape much lower wattage and higher ohm's than most , it sounds like it could be the issue if you experience splatter.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

You can also put a kayfun tank oring in the slot under the afc ring to keep it from spinning. Seems like that's what they intended but they forgot to put the oring in there :confused:

CloudPusher

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Huh. That's a good idea fq06. Never even thunk to try that, lol.

Sean Di Rienzo

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Where can I find an appropriate sized o-ring without buying a kayfun?
I've been to hardware stores but everything they sell is extremely thick.

CloudPusher

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Just measure the length from one end of the inner edge RDA top cap to the other. I just have plenty extra from my spare parts from other RDA's i have purchased.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Or PM your address to me and I'll mail one to you. Out of the 3 kayfuns I have, I haven't needed to change out one oring and they come with a couple rebuilds worth. I have a whole farm of them lol

VU Sponsors