Become a Patron!

Max VG DIY maybe too thick for kanger subtank stock coils

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Since I started DIY a few weeks ago, I noticed that occasionally I would get dry or burnt hits on my Kanger subtank with stock coils. These hits were only rare and occasional. Then I noticed that when the tank was low say under 1ml the coil didn't seem to be wicking and I would get more dry burnt hits, Then I noticed that I had lowered the watts I was vaping to avoid dry and burnt hits. I changed coils. That didn't seem to help.

So I made a new batch of juice last night
95.5% vg which is what all my DIY has been

The only difference in this batch is I ran out of the VG I bought from BCV and used the VG from Wizard Labs

OMG everything is dry and burnt now.

So I added some distilled water to the tank. What %? No clue. Just put some in. Shook the tank and now all seems fine but the flavor was cut a bit.

So I am definitely thinking that 95.5% VG is just too thick for stock kanger tech coils.

Now my 2 questions for the experts.
1. Can VG bought at one company be thicker then VG bought somewhere else. This seems to have happened to me . The Wizard Labs VG seems to have caused my juice to be way to thick to wick these coils.

2. Does anyone have an optimal "Max VG" percentage for the stock Kangertech coils?

Thanks in advance

Foggz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Matt - what Kanger Tank are you using ? I Have the Subtank Mini and have noticed that once the juice gets below the two holes on the side of the coil head that there is no other feed .. kinda wasteful of juice as you can't vape all the juice in the tank b4 getting a dry hit. Also once the OCC burns badly it's pretty much done for and you need a new coil head. Some people have suggested running a small pin through the coil cotton openings to facilitate heavy VG .. but this 'could' lead to flooding so up to you if you want to try that.. as far as VG thickness goes I can't say.. will leave that to some one with more experience .. hope this helps.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm usually between 10/90 and 15/85 in my DIY mixes, and using the Mini - until I tried the needle trick (don't go all the way through, just make a couple small impressions at each juice port in the OCC) I couldn't go above 17 watts or take more than 1 hit every few minutes. After the coil mod, I can chain vape up to 30 watts no problem, even with the thick juices.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm usually between 10/90 and 15/85 in my DIY mixes, and using the Mini - until I tried the needle trick (don't go all the way through, just make a couple small impressions at each juice port in the OCC) I couldn't go above 17 watts or take more than 1 hit every few minutes. After the coil mod, I can chain vape up to 30 watts no problem, even with the thick juices.
That's the issue with stock Kanger coils, they pack and compress too much cotton in the heads for heavy VG juice, OBDave is correct, poke and tease a bit of the cotton in the juice holes to get it loosened up, then it will wick a lot better. I rewick my stock heads every week or so with Japanese cotton, it is super simple to do and you can vary the amount of cotton based on how much VG is in your juice blend. all you need is a sharp tweezers, scissors to cut a strip of cotton, and the desire to do so.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
ok
yes i am using the mini. and yes once juice gets below the openings is when the dry hits really happen, but not so much with the store bought juice. I will try the pin holes after i finish this tank and see what t happens without adding water to my juice.

VinceV1

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For distilled water : 10% of the total mix for 100% VG, 5% for 50-50 PG-VG do the trick.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
well it seems the pin holes seem to do the trick and no need for distilled water now.

Thank you all

VU Sponsors