Become a Patron!

"May contain D/A/AP" whats this mean?

Matty Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
"May contain D/A/AP" whats this mean? is this stuff dangerous?

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
oh gawd
D/A/AP are ingredients in flavoring that make stuff taste buttery and creamy one of them is used to make microwave popcorn taste buttery which is where this whole mess started
there has been some research to suggest it is bad for you. but there is not enough research to say YES IT DEFINITELY IS OR NO ITS SAFE. Or some is safe but not more then this much

the community is very divided on this
the amount you get of these vaping is minuscule to what you get of them from smoking a cigarette

ceecee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Some people have concern - others do not.

I am in the "do not" group and there are many others. I figure I sucked in so much so-called "bad stuff" for 41 years and would still be doing it if not for vaping. Even if it does prove to be bad, it's still a fraction of the baddies I used to inhale.

If you're just starting to look at DIY .... good for you!

Check this thread too and start at page 10 and work your way back

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/diy-in-canada-where-do-i-go.151290/

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
can't be worse than cyanide lol
exactly lol... there are lots of threads and lots of opinions but just read up on it and make your own decision, I remember you said you like bakery stuff I think? so chances are you already vape them but juice companies are not so forth coming with information like DIY. welcome to the journey my friend.

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
this is the best part of DIY ...YOU decide whats best for you and what goes into your vape. Im sure you will be surprised with some of the reading will turn up as far as health concerns and what companies have done n the past and why we all hate vendor juice so much haha food coloring, corn syrup, diacytl pop corn lung, read a recent one about cottage cheese lung or something dumb lol. who test what for what and why. oh, its gonna be fun :D

EarnestAccord

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
To answer your specific question, some flavors have DAAP added to them for their specific flavor attributes. Then there are other flovor molecules that are likely to contain these chemicals as they are often a byproduct of the manufacturering process and/or are catalysed at some later point. I beleive the note "may contain" is giving notice of this aspect. The manufacturer doesn't purposefully add it to the flavor but they may piggyback in on a seperate flavor molecule. This is why, if you're concerned, testing is important.
Hope this helps

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
To answer your specific question, some flavors have DAAP added to them for their specific flavor attributes. Then there are other flovor molecules that are likely to contain these chemicals as they are often a byproduct of the manufacturering process and/or are catalysed at some later point. I beleive the note "may contain" is giving notice of this aspect. The manufacturer doesn't purposefully add it to the flavor but they may piggyback in on a seperate flavor molecule. This is why, if you're concerned, testing is important.
Hope this helps

it also accounts for the fact that diacetyl is a naturally-occurring substance in a great many organics.

Andria

iVapeDIY

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
"May contain D/A/AP" whats this mean? is this stuff dangerous?

D/A/AP = Diacetyl / Acetoin / Acetyl Proprionyl

These chemicals are added to flavors to make them buttery and creamy. In the case of Diacetyl, cigarette smokers are exposed upwards of 750x (or 75000%) more diacetyl than a typical vaper; ofcourse, zero exposure is even safer. Acetoin and Acetyl Proprionyl are chemically similar to Diacetyl; as such, they are treated with the same caution. Google those key words for tons of research material.

Personally, I prefer no D/A/AP in my mixes; many flavorists have disclosed whether or not their flavors contain D/A/AP. Since you're from Canada, you'll notice some e-juice retailers (e.g.; 180smoke.ca) now offer 'DAP-free' or 'diketone-free' e-juice.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I personally think the risk of inhaling diketones is grievously overstated, but I too prefer to avoid them where possible. It just makes for one less thing to worry about. AFAIK, I never vaped any ejuice that contains any diketones, so I can't miss what I've never had.

Andria

VU Sponsors