Become a Patron!

Mech mod experience.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Do you guys know this? I cant seem to be able get a mech experience from any regulated device that i own. With a mechanical the vape feels smoother, somehow? I can't quite put my finger on the thing that makes a mech so unique, but that experience is just seemingly impossible to replicate with a regulated device. This is not such an issue with tanks, but more with drippers and lower ohms.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think it's mostly a placebo effect perhaps, I dunno, hard to explain as I'm in the same boat as you. I owned a few DNA30's before and ended up trading them for mechs every time, was missing something I could never figure out. I definitely notice this with genesis tanks more than RDA's though, but totally understand where you are coming from.

Maybe b/c mechs are more build/wick dependent as opposed to cranking up wattage, so you tend to notice it more definitively if your build is not done just right. Like I said, hard to explain logically since current output is current output.

In the end, it's just personal preference really, many vapers say they could never go back to mechs after going regulated. For me, its just the opposite, I have no desire to go back to regulated, no matter how many bells and whistles it comes with ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I totally agree with both of you guys. I hardly ever use my sig 100 anymore. Placebo or not, just can't seem to replicate the smoothness a quality mech produces, whether using an rda or tank.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thank god im not alone :D Yeah, theres something going on that's really really hard to pinpoint, but very easy to recognize. Mechs are just somehow more enjoyable IMO.

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i noticed it with my 20W istick. I ended up gifting my istick to my brother in law. I'm strictly mechanical mods. when vapor production goes down, i change batteries.

Faceless Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I loveee mechs. I have an IPV Mini 70watt that I like to do daily driver builds in. Like .4 and up. But anything lower I'm on the mech all the way. I think a mech is more loved by the more experienced users just because it is unregulated, and it is completely build reliant to produce what you want. I would pit my mech against any box

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think it may be, like @KKen says, that I've gotten a bit sloppy on my builds, or that I'm building at different resistances when regulated versus on a mech (higher resistance due to the ability to push more power), but I do seem to notice a slightly harsher vape. For me it still hasn't put me off my Sig 100, though my mechs are now a refreshing change when I revisit them...

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Maybe it has something to do with battery sag with a mech that you don't get with a regulated device. Kind of like a suedo temp control.

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I've been on my sigelei 100w for a solid 6 weeks. The 510 finally crapped out on me. The pin came apart and only makes a connection with my derringer now. I purchased a parallel mech box made by a local shop two days ago. Though i do enjoy the protection that comes with a regulated box, as well as the consistency of power-i have forgotten the sheer joy involved in vaping on a mech device. What turned me to the box initially was dealing with battery sag. I wanted the same vape every time i hit the button. But with a parallel box the battery sag is very gradual, not a sudden-ish drop like a single 18650 device. Drop a .15ohm build in there and it's heaven. I'm sure i'll revisit my reg box at some point, but i may have been reconverted for a good while. I can see why tank users prefer the temp control devices, they can have wicking problems. But for a dripper i can't see the temp control being an advantage at all. Especially when limited to 30-40 watts

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Tried my mech again the other day and was underwhelmed. And I'm thinking it has to do with what @Robert B said. With a regulated device it delivers a consistent wattage throughout the pull, with a mech in tapers down due to battery charge, battery sag, conductivity, amount of current pushed through, etc.

anendeloflorien

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
For me I have used regulated mods almost exclusively since I started vaping, I guess it's just what I am used to now. I can put higher ohm builds in my RDAs and push more power through them than a mech ever could and I guess that's more what I'm used to. Used to have a couple mechs that I used for a little while (they were my step up from EGO spinners) but I went back to try one out a couple months ago, vaped it for a few days and wound up trading it to a friend. I don't even own a mechanical mod at this point.

Faceless Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'll tell you this. I would take my authentic Infected Mech mod with a .15Ohm build in my authentic tugboat and a fresh 18650 over a box any day.

Faceless Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Only mech mods I genuinely get a good experience from are Authentic High enders. Idk if its just cause I have expensive taste or if the machining limits battery sag and such.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I can put higher ohm builds in my RDAs and push more power through them than a mech ever could and I guess that's more what I'm used to.

Yeah, that's my point exactly, I think there is a substantial difference from a build that is tailored to the output your mechanical delivers vs. just adjusting power to try make a build taste how you like. Again, nothing wrong with that, if it works then it works ;)

(FYI, my preferred range of resistance for RDA's has always been in the .6-.8ohm area, RTA's, 1-1.3ohm which is well in the ideal range for most regulated devices, so I'm no super sub-ohmer by any means which is a perception I noticed many mechanical users get)

I abandoned mechanicals at one point when I got my first DNA device, thought it was as good as it gets, but after awhile and learning different build and wicking methods, gave the mech another shot and yes, the difference was there, at least how I perceived it. Later on gave regulated another shot with the DNA30 series, even a Provari, but that was very short lived, ended up trading them again for more mechs lol

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been on my sigelei 100w for a solid 6 weeks. The 510 finally crapped out on me. The pin came apart and only makes a connection with my derringer now. I purchased a parallel mech box made by a local shop two days ago. Though i do enjoy the protection that comes with a regulated box, as well as the consistency of power-i have forgotten the sheer joy involved in vaping on a mech device. What turned me to the box initially was dealing with battery sag. I wanted the same vape every time i hit the button. But with a parallel box the battery sag is very gradual, not a sudden-ish drop like a single 18650 device. Drop a .15ohm build in there and it's heaven. I'm sure i'll revisit my reg box at some point, but i may have been reconverted for a good while. I can see why tank users prefer the temp control devices, they can have wicking problems. But for a dripper i can't see the temp control being an advantage at all. Especially when limited to 30-40 watts
Not familiar with the SIG..did it have an adjustable 510 pin connector? Can it be repaired? Just curious as I've got two IPV3's with adjustable pins..often thought what I'd do if one came apart..

sent from my Droid Maxx via Tapatalk

Mykline

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have two regulated box mods and enjoy both. One is 30 watt and one is 150 watt. I tried a friends mech mod one time to check out a flavor and it was a dry hot pull. Like to killed me. I have had dry hits on my box mods but nothing like the mech mod dry hit. I might try a mech mod again but it will be one I buy and set up the way I want it and make sure I don't get a dry hit. I know good luck with that.
Having said all that I don't have anything against mech mods I just prefer regulated mods.

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have two regulated box mods and enjoy both. One is 30 watt and one is 150 watt. I tried a friends mech mod one time to check out a flavor and it was a dry hot pull. Like to killed me. I have had dry hits on my box mods but nothing like the mech mod dry hit. I might try a mech mod again but it will be one I buy and set up the way I want it and make sure I don't get a dry hit. I know good luck with that.
Having said all that I don't have anything against mech mods I just prefer regulated mods.
Try dropping some juice in first. No dry hits

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was a MECH GUY MOSTLY 26650 tubes and boxes, I noticed the harshness reg box gives you especially if ur vaping above 60 watts, I'm not really sure how to explain the difference of the vape quality between mech and regulated but for me , I feel more safer vaping regulated, I have more consistent battery life it made me vape less because of the vape quality... I own hybrid boxes which is still kinda ok but I still go back to my sig 150 all the time... For me I have to twick my builts on a reg box, I noticed that if I built like I'm on mech I don't get the same satisfaction, and its the same thing on my hybrid boxes.. But vvaping is subjective so whatever u like just VAPE IT
BIGBOYVAPER

Last edited:

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not familiar with the SIG..did it have an adjustable 510 pin connector? Can it be repaired? Just curious as I've got two IPV3's with adjustable pins..often thought what I'd do if one came apart..

The original 100s did, the updated 100s and the 150s have a floating pin - I've had no problems after 3 months of nearly continuous use with my first-gen adjustable pin, but it's not an uncommon gripe.

Mykline

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Try dropping some juice in first. No dry hits
I knew there was a trick to it. Lol
What happen was my friend thought it was juiced up already. He said here try this flavor it's ready to go. He had been talking and vaping and not paying attention. I even asked him if it was juiced up and he said sure it's ready.
Mistakes happen.

IX of XIII

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I honestly like both so far. I have a mech tube mod (Neptune V1) and a reg box mod (iStick 50w). I have a method with them between my 2 tanks (Delta 2 and Silo). And my dripper (Mako). I use the Mako on my mech because with builds, I just get a full satisfying vape, like a no frills, clean flavorful vape. I use my sub-ohm Delta 2 on my reg to adjust on the go but it's also handy when I use the Delta 2's RBA coil. My Silo I can use on either because it's not sub-ohm so I can use it on either. So pretty much I like my RDA's on my mech and my sub-ohm tanks on my reg.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I really have enjoyed my iPV3. I use my mechs almost daily, easier while working and driving, and my clones are cheaper, so less worry. I'm basically all regulated otherwise, now. It's changed my vaping completely, I love the consistent vape. I also used to vape kayfuns at 1.2, and now tend to build .4-.6 on RDA's with my box. .4 is fairly satisfying with a mech, but not as much as 55 watts regulated. I notice no harshness, just consistency.

They both have there merits. I use my mechs sometimes just to keep my batteries in rotation, which is why I want an iPV Mini 2. It is nice to be able to fix basically anything with a mech. Aside from some disastrous threading mishap, most everything can be remedied. And, my one Authentic, the Copper Vanilla definitely is nicer than any clone I have. Everything works well, adjusts properly, and it fires no matter where you press the button. I'm into regulated right now, but I could see a dual box, or another authentic at the right price in the future. Not now, though.

Cloudboss

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Mech in my opinion is the best bang for the buck.

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Do you guys know this? I cant seem to be able get a mech experience from any regulated device that i own. With a mechanical the vape feels smoother, somehow? I can't quite put my finger on the thing that makes a mech so unique, but that experience is just seemingly impossible to replicate with a regulated device. This is not such an issue with tanks, but more with drippers and lower ohms.

I know what you mean but don't know the reason. The effect of regulated mods' EMR on dental work creating subtle chemical changes and difference in perception? :D Everyone's mouths are different so one would expect little agreement on the point.

I mainly use mechs because of their space efficiency and the fact that there is nothing that can break which I cannot fix. ;)

Oh, and interesting thread @Rommel.

Last edited:

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

The first run of the sigelei 100w (non plus model) had and adjustable pin. But it's copper. And it's reverse threaded. So even when great care is taken-eventually the pin wears down. Mine just fell apart. To the device's credit though i am the second owner. Its a great box, but i've been enjoying my new mech box a little more

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I borrowed a friend's Sig 100W. It was nice. It was consistent. There's just something... I think it might be that it was boring. Or that it didn't require the skill a mech requires. It doesn't even matter how much power is left in the cells. It will give me 70W every time I hit the switch. It doesn't matter if my build wasn't the cleanest. It doesn't matter how many wraps I gave it. It will always give me 70W, and, even though I'd asked to borrow it for a week, I ended up giving it back to him after three days. I picked my FUhattan back up, and vaped happy on my mech again. The only thing I took away from the Sig is that having two batteries is nice. I might try to make a parallel mech box some time soon.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I borrowed a friend's Sig 100W. It was nice. It was consistent. There's just something... I think it might be that it was boring. Or that it didn't require the skill a mech requires. It doesn't even matter how much power is left in the cells. It will give me 70W every time I hit the switch. It doesn't matter if my build wasn't the cleanest. It doesn't matter how many wraps I gave it. It will always give me 70W, and, even though I'd asked to borrow it for a week, I ended up giving it back to him after three days. I picked my FUhattan back up, and vaped happy on my mech again. The only thing I took away from the Sig is that having two batteries is nice. I might try to make a parallel mech box some time soon.
Turbo charged, can't fail 100.00 Mod. I have a Silicone sleeve on mine. I have 26650 Mods that do the same thing. Put a Svoemesto 26650 on a Sting Ray copper tube, an all day vape, battery changed once.

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Turbo charged, can't fail 100.00 Mod. I have a Silicone sleeve on mine. I have 26650 Mods that do the same thing. Put a Svoemesto 26650 on a Sting Ray copper tube, an all day vape, battery changed once.

Can't seem to find the Turbo Charged mod.

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

I can agree with that sentiment. It does take a lot of the fun out. On the other hand it's nice leaving the house knowing you can get a satisfying vape for a few hours without worrying about batteries. On the other OTHER hand a mechanical box is probably my favorite of the three-if you can get past the size. I have a hammond 1590B mech box and i LOVE it, but it's f'n cumbersome. It dwarfs my Sig box. For me the battery sag in a mech box is much different than a regular mod. It seems MUCH more gradual, and far less frustrating. Plus you get a bit more wiggle room as far as amperage goes which is awesome. A regulated mod feels like it's forcing the power out of the batteries, and a mech feels like it's LETTING the power out of the batteries-if that makes any sense haha

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Can't seem to find the Turbo Charged mod.
A One Hundred Watt Mod will bake a chicken. It will fire anything you can screw on it.

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I can agree with that sentiment. It does take a lot of the fun out. On the other hand it's nice leaving the house knowing you can get a satisfying vape for a few hours without worrying about batteries. On the other OTHER hand a mechanical box is probably my favorite of the three-if you can get past the size. I have a hammond 1590B mech box and i LOVE it, but it's f'n cumbersome. It dwarfs my Sig box. For me the battery sag in a mech box is much different than a regular mod. It seems MUCH more gradual, and far less frustrating. Plus you get a bit more wiggle room as far as amperage goes which is awesome. A regulated mod feels like it's forcing the power out of the batteries, and a mech feels like it's LETTING the power out of the batteries-if that makes any sense haha

Yes. Actually, it does. IMHO it's the same difference between a sports coupe with a forced intake H4 engine and a Charger with a 440 Red Block. The Coupe might be more efficient, cleaner, and maybe even more reliable, but the Charger just feels more powerful even if it might loose the race.

Also, I wonder if the fact that, aside from my eGo twist battery and Protank I started with, I really got into sub-ohming on mechs? I wonder how many others who prefer mechs started on them?

A One Hundred Watt Mod will bake a chicken. It will fire anything you can screw on it.

I'm sorry. I'm afraid I don't follow. I thought you were recommending a mod. Are you?

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sigelei is a good choice. Sorry, I get technical. It has about 10 X more power than you will ever need. You will understand if you get one.

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sigelei is a good choice. Sorry, I get technical. It has about 10 X more power than you will ever need. You will understand if you get one.

As I said, I've used one. I had it pushing 70 watts through a dual coil, 3mm ID, 0.4ohm, 24agw Kanthal in my Plume Veil. It was fine. It was a decent experience. I used it for three days, decided I'd rather use my mech, and gave it back to my friend. I understand that it's a powerful mod, I just don't really like regulated mods all that much. It wasn't that it wasn't powerful enough or too powerful or anything. I just didn't like it, and after using a couple of other regulated devices I've found that I don't like regulated mods in general all that much. They're just kind of bland to my tastes. I'm thinking of building a dual 18650 parallel mod though. Probably going to be a wood box type. It's probably going to be a few weeks of studying before I understand mofsets well enough to be comfortable doing it though.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A regulated mod feels like it's forcing the power out of the batteries, and a mech feels like it's LETTING the power out of the batteries-if that makes any sense haha

Its certainly does, I think that's a great analogy!

It wasn't that it wasn't powerful enough or too powerful or anything. I just didn't like it, and after using a couple of other regulated devices I've found that I don't like regulated mods in general all that much. They're just kind of bland to my tastes.

I understand completely; and even though I vape a completely different type of atomizer and resistance as you probably do, we still have the same sentiment regarding regulated, there is some kind of blandness to it IMO.

Speaking of which, I tried the Sigelei 150 when I had my Quasar RDA, and sure, I can crank that sucker up to stupid levels of power and it certainly chucks out the vapor, but frick, I feel its like choosing to drink beer out of a beer-bong instead of a nice cold glass!

Kkay

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I haven't been vaping for long. I started using a mech back in December I think it was. Recently I purchased two mech mods. For some reason I just find them more of an enjoyable vape. That might have to do with the fact, that I use rda on the mechs. Now I have a better feel for when I should be checking the volts on the mechs, when I vape them. At first I was fairly nervous, checking the battery charge very frequently. Now I check them 2-3 times a day, depending on how much I am vaping with the mechs. The only thing I would really like to see, is mech makers leave enough room for a safety fuse, when they design them. I have no room in either my Stingray X, or the SMPL. On the SMPL there is barely enough room for a battery, and there is no way a fuse will fit in there.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My high end mechs all use the hybrid top cap...I have to be extra careful the pins protrude enough on my RDA's to be safe and not cause a hard short. That said they hit hard, but unlike my VW mods the vape goes down as the batts wear down so I too watch batt levels. I rotate between 4 mods all day long, both mech and VW, so the 26650 batts in my mech last me a long time between charges

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I haven't been vaping for long. I started using a mech back in December I think it was. Recently I purchased two mech mods. For some reason I just find them more of an enjoyable vape. That might have to do with the fact, that I use rda on the mechs. Now I have a better feel for when I should be checking the volts on the mechs, when I vape them. At first I was fairly nervous, checking the battery charge very frequently. Now I check them 2-3 times a day, depending on how much I am vaping with the mechs. The only thing I would really like to see, is mech makers leave enough room for a safety fuse, when they design them. I have no room in either my Stingray X, or the SMPL. On the SMPL there is barely enough room for a battery, and there is no way a fuse will fit in there.

I think one option could be either a mod that comes standard with a Fuse option, like a Gus or Atimizoo, or maybe a telescopic type if you are into that style of mechanical ;)

Kkay

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks Kken for the suggestions. I looked them up, they didn't do much for me. Maybe I will find a telescoping mod that I do like. I have been told a Nemesis would have room. I bought the Smok fuses, and they were reasonably priced, and thinner than you would think. It is kind of like adding a button top battery, instead of a flat top. I was told the need to sell smaller mods might be the determining factor. To me it is so thin, I'd rather have a SMPL 1/4 inch longer. The SMPL to me is just outstanding.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks Kken for the suggestions. I looked them up, they didn't do much for me. Maybe I will find a telescoping mod that I do like. I have been told a Nemesis would have room. I bought the Smok fuses, and they were reasonably priced, and thinner than you would think. It is kind of like adding a button top battery, instead of a flat top. I was told the need to sell smaller mods might be the determining factor. To me it is so thin, I'd rather have a SMPL 1/4 inch longer. The SMPL to me is just outstanding.
My sister had the Nemesis you mentioned.. She hated it..that stupid locking ring really annoyed her..I mean like unlock, puff puff, relock..unlock puff puff and relock...one time she forgot to lock it and realised something was wrong when she seen it smoking...on the table by itself! Luckily she wrapped it in a towel and took it outside to cool off..she also didn't like the "crunchy" spring switch..So I got her a BCV XXIX for her birthday.. That is a 18650 copper mech with a magnetic switch and recessed button...no need for that annoying locking ring anymore... she liked that a lot better! Lol

Kkay

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I will check into the one you mentioned. That is one thing I love about the SMPL, no need to worry about a lock ring, or pieces getting stuck. To me the mech mod just takes up little room, and has no electronics to go wonky on you, they just WORK.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I will check into the one you mentioned. That is one thing I love about the SMPL, no need to worry about a lock ring, or pieces getting stuck. To me the mech mod just takes up little room, and has no electronics to go wonky on you, they just WORK.

If you are ok with clones, check here: http://www.vividsmoke.com/devices/mechanical-mods And if you only want authentics, at least you might find something you like here that you never knew about, and you can go look for the original.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The Bay City Vapor XXIX ran me $180+ tax... Its an authentic made here in CA..
Parts, if needed, is a simple click away..
And customer service is superb...
It does use the hybrid top cap making it one of the hardest hitting single batt mech mods I've ever vaped. Figured my sister was worth it helping her to stay tobacco free...(but now she likes the VW box mods too, lol)
Don't know much about about the SMPL
just heard some atty's don't sit flush having the 510 connection part of the tube (non removable).. But like I said, that's only what I've heard...

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Buddy of mine has a brass surfrider by BCV, and even though I don't really care for USA made mods, I have to admit it is a very well machined piece, and really well priced too for what you get. (I think BCV mods are under 150USD now for a set w/ 2 tubes)

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
My sister had the Nemesis you mentioned.. She hated it..that stupid locking ring really annoyed her..I mean like unlock, puff puff, relock..unlock puff puff and relock...one time she forgot to lock it and realised something was wrong when she seen it smoking...on the table by itself! Luckily she wrapped it in a towel and took it outside to cool off..she also didn't like the "crunchy" spring switch..So I got her a BCV XXIX for her birthday.. That is a 18650 copper mech with a magnetic switch and recessed button...no need for that annoying locking ring anymore... she liked that a lot better! Lol

A recessed switch is a requirement for me, or FUhattan style, not necesetating a locking ring. I have 5 mechs with recessed switches, the one that has a locking ring I never use. I count my Vanilla in the good category, since the switch is adjustable so as to not need to lock it. I don't know the last time I locked my Vanilla, it is nice to have the option, though.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Buddy of mine has a brass surfrider by BCV, and even though I don't really care for USA made mods, I have to admit it is a very well machined piece, and really well priced too for what you get. (I think BCV mods are under 150USD now for a set w/ 2 tubes)
I bought that XXIX over a year ago now..prices may have come down some since then..but the mod has been perfect..clean the switch once in awhile and polish the tube..BTW, the .2 ohm coiled Arctic Subtank hits great on it, after modifying the pin to make it protrude for the hybrid top cap..
d4543c9218d116e251f8e1df85572585.jpg

Last edited:

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I bought that XXIX over a year ago now..prices may have come down some since then..but the mod has been perfect..clean the switch once in awhile and polish the tube..BTW, the .2 ohm coiled Arctic Subtank hits great on it, after modifying the pin to make it protrude for the hybrid top cap..
d4543c9218d116e251f8e1df85572585.jpg

I have always liked that mod. Simple and understated, looks classy. Though finicky at times, hybrid top caps are nice, too.

Kkay

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If you are ok with clones, check here: http://www.vividsmoke.com/devices/mechanical-mods And if you only want authentics, at least you might find something you like here that you never knew about, and you can go look for the original.
Thank you Kken. I appreciate the link. I knew about them, but haven't bought from them yet. I can't afford the authentic mods, so I have to buy a nice clone instead. (or buy a great used one, with little to no noticeable marks of wear)

smacksy, yes not every atty will work on the SMPL. It does have that ridge inside, so if you accidentally fire it, without an atty on top, it won't be a problem. I am quite aware that the pin must stick below the threads, so I have been careful with that. I have not used my Stingray X in hybrid mode yet. I was going to wait until I put the fuse in, but then right after I got the fuses, I found they didn't fit. The mod you mentioned is not even close to being in my price range. Kken same thing on the one you mentioned close to 150.

TBCAmor, I am going to look into what you said. I really adore copper mods, but other metals are fine too. Yes locking, and unlocking is a pia. I like that you don't have to worry about that with the SMPL. But the looks of the Stingray X are more what I appreciate.

Sorry guys for pulling this thread sort of off topic. I was just reading here, and had to reply. :) I am going to look at the FUhatten, and recessed switches.

fiveOclock

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
First post! yea!

Great thread and lots of good info here. One thing that hasn't been mentioned.
I noticed the saturation of wick plays a big part. Mech mod seems to work better with well saturated atty like a dripper. Using the initial power surge to "cook" the pool of juice at the start. Regulated mod seems to work better with the constant flow atty like RTA. My Stillare feels ok on WAE2 but awesome on Ramble. But the constant feeding atty like Kayfun or Ithaka seem to vape better on WAE2 or Provari. Guessing constant supply to regulated power matches the juice flow.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. and Hello forum! ;)

VU Sponsors