minimum wraps for single coil?

slayer420-x

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Wondering whats the optimal wraps for a single coil, i have 26 & 28 gauge, i have a 1.1 ohm single on, but if i wanted to try lower say .8, thats only 6 or 7 wraps with 26 awg 2.4 mm screwdriver. Would that effect performance? Also do coils need to be pushed to middle? For single and dual coil when i try that. I have tugboat v2 so id think it wouldnt matter as i could aline airflow with coil? & should i lift coil up bit so air goes under, atm its kinda going above

Slicknic

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You don't have to center the coils with the center post. Many people do though, to get the wick sitting evenly in the deck.
My RDA of choice is the tobh which will not allow coils aligned in the center due to the air flow control block on the deck.
The airflow doesn't have to be directly on the coil, although that is what I try to achieve. A little below or above works also.

Wrap number, wire guage and type, number of coils and diameter are all subjective. More coil surface area = more vapor,
but so does lower ohms. There will be a point of diminished return removing wraps to get lower ohms. You'll notice a warmer
vape at that point, but not more vapor. For that reason, a heavier guage wire is often used for a single coil build.

If you want to get into sub ohm territory, just go slow and know your batteries can handle your builds. Wire is cheap enough
to experiment a lot in the beginning, and there is no better way to find out what it is you prefer.

VaporRush

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wondering whats the optimal wraps for a single coil, i have 26 & 28 gauge, i have a 1.1 ohm single on, but if i wanted to try lower say .8, thats only 6 or 7 wraps with 26 awg 2.4 mm screwdriver. Would that effect performance? Also do coils need to be pushed to middle? For single and dual coil when i try that. I have tugboat v2 so id think it wouldnt matter as i could aline airflow with coil? & should i lift coil up bit so air goes under, atm its kinda going above

I've been vaping since 2008. I stayed away from wrapping my own coils until recently because I thought it would be too much of a hassle. Was I wrong. It's opened up a whole new world in vaping in terms of taste and vapor production. What helped me the most was watching youtube videos. My first build on my Magma RDA took less than 15 minutes from start to vaping. It turned out perfect. In terms of knowing what any given build will give you, Steam Engine is your friend:http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Proper advice on coil building can't be provided unless you tell us what power supply you're using. If the output voltage is fixed the resistance is very important. If output voltage is adjustable the resistance isn't as important. What mod are you using?

slayer420-x

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Im using an ipv2

slayer420-x

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
And i have a efest 35 amp 20 amp in it

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
here use this to compute your wraps
http://www.steam-engine.org

Last edited:

slayer420-x

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I appreciate the links everyone directs me to steam engine, i already have it bookmarked. But it doesnt give info on whats best or whats not gonna be good. LIke i could type i want .7, 26 awg, 2.4 ID, itll say like 6 wraps. It wont say if its good. i could try dual soon. But atm if i want sub ohm single, like .7 or .8, is 6 wraps not enough? Its 26 & 28 gauge i have. Will it be better then my 1.1 ohm.

DustinB

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
What do you want? Flavor, huge clouds? Many people use many different wraps and coil diameter for various things. It's all about the use, the equipment, and what you're after.

Personally, I'm all about the flavor and massive nicotine delivery. I usually use a 9 wrap 26ga 3mm coil in nearly everything with japanese cotton. Magma, veritas, lemos, sometimes kayfuns. Anywhere from 20-40 watts depending on the juice and what type of flavor I want to be more prominent. For example, suicide bunny derailed, if vaped at 20 watts I get a more prominent natural banana. If vaped at 35 watts I get more of the snickerdoodle flavor and the banana tastes almost caramelized, I love it like that.

You can nearly stick with one coil when you have a variable box mod. You don't have to adjust your coil the adjust the wattage like a mech mod. There's much more to all of it though, but that's what works for me.

Oh, and forget the term sub-ohm unless you use mech mods. It really doesn't matter for the most part unless you are going for super high wattage. The important part is getting good surface area and diameter. For me that's what I listed above, about 1.2 ohms. Heats up decently quick on 20 watts, super quick at 40, awesome flavor all around with good wicking.

slayer420-x

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Im more after clouds and a warm vape. My 1.1 ohm in atm is only week old so i may keep using it , it should be good another week eh? It has brown on coil that wont go away but it still glowin from middle out. So you use a 1.2 ohm single at 30-40 w? I wasnt sure if i could do that with my 1.1, been at 20-25. But my next coil i may try less wraps to go under 1 ohm, maybe 7 wraps or 6 for .8 , ID doesnt effect ohm much eh? So i use 2.4 mm thats good? Whats the point of bigger ID. More cotton? Ill prob get 24 awg soon to make single coils like .6 ohm but still good wraps. Then use 26 & 28 awg for dual when i try eh.

DustinB

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
More wraps and larger diameter means more coil material. You need more overall mass to run higher watts. My 9 wraps of 26ga gives me enough range that its not super slow at 20w, and not overheating quickly at 40w. Its all a balancing act.

As for why I like the coils I build, I just find that the width of the coil at 9 wraps is in contact with the right amount of juice while not burning out the wick inside the coil too quick. The 3mm coil diameter also helps with this by holding plenty of juice.

Can't really help you on the clouds, never was into that. I just like a good amount of warm very flavorful vapor. I have seen several builds, what I can say is they usually go for more overall mass. 3mm plus diameter coils with 24ga or larger, lots of watts. You're trying to vaporize a lot of juice with a lot of heat without burning anything.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I appreciate the links everyone directs me to steam engine, i already have it bookmarked. But it doesnt give info on whats best or whats not gonna be good. LIke i could type i want .7, 26 awg, 2.4 ID, itll say like 6 wraps. It wont say if its good. i could try dual soon. But atm if i want sub ohm single, like .7 or .8, is 6 wraps not enough? Its 26 & 28 gauge i have. Will it be better then my 1.1 ohm.
It's experimentation some people like different gauge wire for many reasons basically I take your request as us telling you what you want .. Experiment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Theres really no point in making less than one wrap IMO.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You're not getting it. There is no reason for you to go subohm. All you will do is reduce the contact area between the coil and juice if you continue to remove wraps. As was said it's surface area and diameter that are important, not resistance when using a variable power mod. As long as you're somewhere at or under two ohms you're mod will work fine unless you're trying to push it to the max. Get your coil geometry sorted and quit trying to worry about going subohm. You have been advised more than once and don't seem to want to listen. Resistance isn't the only variable in the power formula. Your mod has the ability to adjust the other one (voltage) which gives you much more flexibility with the resistance variable. Mechs are different. You're not using a mech.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
There's no "best" for everyone. It's very much all personal preference. If you want to cloud chase and have a warm vape, try a parallel coil. It will give more surface area, therefore take longer to heat up so depending on final resistance, you will need more power to heat it up quickly. Maybe I missed it but your atty plays a role in the formula for cloud chasing as well. It's all about getting it tuned to YOUR standards. I believe coil toy (Google it) provides RECOMMENDED power levels but in my experience they've always been far too low for my tastes.

VU Sponsors