Become a Patron!

Motorized bicycles anyone?

Michael H.

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just seeing if we have any motorized bicycle fans in the house...currently working on one gas bike and 4 different motors.IMG_20180321_182249.jpg

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This will be my next toy...
https://lunacycle.com/sur-ron-mx-electric/
Sur_Ron__69019.1513042993.jpg

I do really dig the bikes people are throwing 2 stroke motors in too. There are a few clubs around my area in Los Angeles that go on rides and it's like a heard of angry bees rolling down the street. Sick bikes too, cafe style racer bicycles, a bunch of choopers all lit up with tunes rockin and of course a few standard beach cruisers.

The sur ron is going to be epic though at my local jump track loop, the whoops at Kenter.

Great thread!:cheers:

Michael H.

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yea alot of fans and get togethers all around...been a fun project so far.

I'm going straight for the 70mph club on this first build.

Michael H.

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Fun part for me is the motor building...they all get a complete tear down and built for reliability and power.

This is what I'm building now...Case reed with a ZL 40mm crank and short Z-L rod...just checking a few things in this pic before some case porting.
IMG_20180412_212831.jpg

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
One thing that gets most people hurt is wheel bearings. Loose the stock and get Timkin bearings. Stock can't take speed.

Michael H.

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm only using one slant plug head on a modified stock motor but the squish chambers on them are only 44mm wide so they don't really work all that great with a 47mm piston which the 66 and 69cc motors use...I rechamber them increasing the squish to 47mm which improves cooling and power providing squish clearance is set up properly.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't live in the US and, with sincerity, I want to know why put a motor on a pedal bike?

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Seriously bobnat, there a lot of fun. Most can go 30 + mph. Use about 1/2 us gallon of fuel for about 125 miles traveled. Very cheap to buy, build, and maintain. And for old guys like me, don't have to peddle the damn thing.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Seriously bobnat, there a lot of fun. Most can go 30 + mph. Use about 1/2 us gallon of fuel for about 125 miles traveled. Very cheap to buy, build, and maintain. And for old guys like me, don't have to peddle the damn thing.

I would think they'd be great in hilly areas. Do you need a license to use one?

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not that I know of. However I will not sell one of my bikes to anyone under 16. Their body might be big enough but their brain ain't there yet.

I'm surprised the nanny state hasn't jumped all over them. Did you know that the Netherlands has the highest percentage of daily bike users in the world. I saw a parking garage in Amsterdam that was 5 stories high and completely full of bikes. And they don't wear helmets. But in the US, it's save the fucking children, make everyone wear helmets.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am 62 and have been riding since the age of 3. I'm crazy and been known to forget about rules. I always wear a helmet. It's parents who are in charge of watching their brats, not mine. :bliss:

Michael H.

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think I have more fun improving the motors performance than I do anything else...lol

Always been a performance fan growing up around it all...off shore power boats racing, drag racing, dirt bikes, street bikes, RC racing.

One of my ported cylinders I'm using with an OZ Reed build..(one of 5 builds)..added a third transfer port and increased blowdown with raised exhaust port timing and cleaned up transfers .. should be good for 50 plus mph.

IMG_20180126_001335.jpg

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi guys. I have the 4" tires on the back now. I have a cruise range of 25miles. I have hit 38mph. The important part is that is can haul 3cases of beer and several bags of pork skins at one time.

VU Sponsors