Become a Patron!

My coil lit on fire

Hey everyone,

I'm sure there is a section or topic on this but I couldn't find it. I'm farely new to rebuilding and I've watched videos, read a book and researched a ton before starting. I have DIY kits and an OHMs reader. Twice in the last week and a half my coil went on fire. The first time was most likely oversite since the screw in my positive post was loose (goon rda). Fixed that and it was good. Than last night, I was playing with different wattages, turned it to 130w (SMOK Alien) went to pull and got a nasty hot burn with a glow.

I want to say maybe I caught a dry spot on my cotton (100% organic Japanese) but not 100% sure. My coils fire evenly inside out as well. The coils aren't touching the post, nor are my leads crossing.

Not really sure what could have caused it and it's freaking me out.

Below is a picture of the coils...

Dual 20AWG 7 wraps ID 3

Attachments

• IMG_7467.JPG
    IMG_7467.JPG
    937.1 KB · Views: 39

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
you missed some key aspects we need.
1. coil resistance and ID
2. coil material

i would ventrue to guess to many watts for the build or not enough juice. high watts need more juice

you missed some key aspects we need.
1. coil resistance and ID
2. coil material

i would ventrue to guess to many watts for the build or not enough juice. high watts need more juice

My apologies, I thought I put that.

.14 resistance 3mm ID and kanthal A1 wire

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When you say hot burn with a glow what exactly do you mean?
Did the entire coil glowed or did a specific area of the coil glowed?
If it's a specific area then you have a hot spot, if it's the entire coil then your not dripping in time and letting the cotton dry, if one of the coils glows and the other one doesn't then your coils are of different resistance.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I would assume your not putting enough juice on the wicks and flooding the bottom of the atomizer with juice. When the cotton gets dry it can catch on fire, especially at high wattage.

Welcome to VU......:vino:

When you say hot burn with a glow what exactly do you mean?
Did the entire coil glowed or did a specific area of the coil glowed?
If it's a specific area then you have a hot spot, if it's the entire coil then your not dripping in time and letting the cotton dry, if one of the coils glows and the other one doesn't then your coils are of different resistance.

Hard to tell since I had the sleeve and cap on. I tested the coils afterwards and fire them, firing fine and resistance was the same.

Dagoroth

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Sounds like your cotton is too tightly wicked for the 100+ watts that you are attempting to fire at.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well if the cotton on both coils burned then it's your fault for not dripping in time and letting the cotton dry, if only one of them did then you have a hot spot or resistance difference.

Pull the cotton out and dry burn then check for hot spots also look near the legs and underneath the coils, make sure both coils light up at roughly the same time, also check that the legs are cut close the the posts and not touching the other coil on the other side.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Too tight starves the coil and leads to burning.. too loose and t he juice cooks off too fast and leads to burning. My guess is to tight and dry wick INSIDE the coil.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Too tight starves the coil and leads to burning.. too loose and t he juice cooks off too fast and leads to burning. My guess is to tight and dry wick INSIDE the coil.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
Ofc forgot about that, if it's too tight the center portion of the wick doesn't get any/enough juice flow which will cause it to dry and burn.
When you place the wick pull it back and forth from side to side until it's relatively loose.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ok, definitely will rewick and check. When wicking it, it was pretty tight, so ill redo that. Thanks guys. Live and learn.

Getting the wick right can be a challenge... Good thing is. It only take a few burnt hits to get it figured out. Bad thing is you have to relearn for every new build you do and new atty you get.

VU Sponsors