Become a Patron!

My DIY NET (Naturally Extracted Tobacco): A Noob Adventure

John C

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi guys, I'm sticking this up for any other users who may try to make their own tobacco extract for making their own NET tobacco ejuice. I have tried probably 12-15 different vendors of NET juice, plus a few other people's DIY NETs. I'm a tobacco-phile I guess, so I'm always looking for that new NET to try. Some are great, some good, some bad.

I have been thinking of trying my hand at making them myself but only yesterday did I start getting the ball rolling. I do have quite a bit of experience in making DIY juice in general, so that specific aspect won't be an issue.

So, here we go. I'll post here when I do each step. I invite input, tips, helpful criticism and whatever else. Let the fun begin!

Yesterday, I went to leafonly (.com) and ordered a 1/4lb. 'sample' of virginia (R) and a 1/4lb sample of air cured burley. I also ordered some more PG.

I'm going to cut up the backie-- maybe to the size of RYO cig tobacco-- then I'll put each of the two types of tobacco into their own mason jar. I then will fill the jars with PG just until they are covered in PG.

I then plan to let them sit for 4-8 weeks. Then I will filter using a french press, then unbleached coffee filter. I'll maybe do the coffee filter part twice. That's all the filtering i plan on doing, at least as of now.

Will update when I get the tobacco!

(Mod: Is this OK here or does it need to be a blog? I'd rather have a thread but I can do a blog if need be)

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Hi guys, I'm sticking this up for any other users who may try to make their own tobacco extract for making their own NET tobacco ejuice. I have tried probably 12-15 different vendors of NET juice, plus a few other people's DIY NETs. I'm a tobacco-phile I guess, so I'm always looking for that new NET to try. Some are great, some good, some bad.

I have been thinking of trying my hand at making them myself but only yesterday did I start getting the ball rolling. I do have quite a bit of experience in making DIY juice in general, so that specific aspect won't be an issue.

So, here we go. I'll post here when I do each step. I invite input, tips, helpful criticism and whatever else. Let the fun begin!

Yesterday, I went to leafonly (.com) and ordered a 1/4lb. 'sample' of virginia (R) and a 1/4lb sample of air cured burley. I also ordered some more PG.

I'm going to cut up the backie-- maybe to the size of RYO cig tobacco-- then I'll put each of the two types of tobacco into their own mason jar. I then will fill the jars with PG just until they are covered in PG.

I then plan to let them sit for 4-8 weeks. Then I will filter using a french press, then unbleached coffee filter. I'll maybe do the coffee filter part twice. That's all the filtering i plan on doing, at least as of now.

Will update when I get the tobacco!

(Mod: Is this OK here or does it need to be a blog? I'd rather have a thread but I can do a blog if need be)

Definately following this - been tempted to try it myself but have never gotten it together to try like you have

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
For a long time I considered myself a Tobacco-phile I guess, or a Marlboro Red Junkie maybe? LOL! I was thinking about doing my own Net extracts for a long time but honestly it has been so long since I quit smoking and have gotten past that search for the perfect Tobacco Vape I do not want any of the shit in Tobacco that they add like in cigarettes. None of the alkaloids or any of the crap to give me the cravings or urge to smoke a real killer stick. Remember now just my opinion and I posted so I can follow this thread.

Last edited:

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I then will fill the jars with PG just until they are covered in PG.

I then plan to let them sit for 4-8 weeks. T

If I remember, I give the jars a good shake from time to time while the tobacco is steeping.

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I made a net from Black and Mild cigars. 50vg-50pg. Steeped for 30 days and produced a very nice juice. I always liked the B&M smell and the juice tasted just like they smell. But man was it dark. A serious coil killer. But it is a nice after dinner vape.

John C

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I made a net from Black and Mild cigars. 50vg-50pg. Steeped for 30 days and produced a very nice juice. I always liked the B&M smell and the juice tasted just like they smell. But man was it dark. A serious coil killer. But it is a nice after dinner vape.
Good idea...I will try this as well. What did you do for filtration? Im hearing that a coffee filter might not be enough, but I don't know I'll look at it after im done coffee-filtering it (in 4-8 weeks).

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
You guys inspired me to whip out some NETS I get from Vash here on VU - enjoying the hell out of it :)

John C

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You guys inspired me to whip out some NETS I get from Vash here on VU - enjoying the hell out of it :)
Vash's confederate is my single favorite NET juice. he hasnt had any in a long time though. One thing I noticed about Vash's stuff is it's not as "clean" looking as most others. To me, that signals that maybe a tad gunkier is better, as far as making my own stuff is concerned.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Vash's confederate is my single favorite NET juice. he hasnt had any in a long time though. One thing I noticed about Vash's stuff is it's not as "clean" looking as most others. To me, that signals that maybe a tad gunkier is better, as far as making my own stuff is concerned.

I bought a couple of concentrates from here a couple of months ago www.Naturally-Extracted-Tobacco.com, e-liquids for electronic cigaretteshttps://www.naturally-extracted-tobacco.com/

But still have not mixed it

I don't vape NETs that often, but when I want it, nothing else will do

Shit was super expensive

John C

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I bought a couple of concentrates from here a couple of months ago www.Naturally-Extracted-Tobacco.com, e-liquids for electronic cigaretteshttps://www.naturally-extracted-tobacco.com/

But still have not mixed it

I don't vape NETs that often, but when I want it, nothing else will do

Shit was super expensive
Yes, ive bought from him many times. To me, he is like the amazon of NETs. You'll get good quality NETs of just about any kind of tobacco/cigar/cig variety you want. It's a bit cleaner than Vash's, but maybe thats why I like Vash's more.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Yes, ive bought from him many times. To me, he is like the amazon of NETs. You'll get good quality NETs of just about any kind of tobacco/cigar/cig variety you want. It's a bit cleaner than Vash's, but maybe thats why I like Vash's more.

I got the Cohiba cigar and something else, can't remember what, probably some type of Virginia

The one and only cigar I ever smoked was a Cohiba and it was really good, nothing like the old stogies I used to smell when I was growing up

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Good idea...I will try this as well. What did you do for filtration? Im hearing that a coffee filter might not be enough, but I don't know I'll look at it after im done coffee-filtering it (in 4-8 weeks).
I just used coffee filters. Filtered 3-4 times, I do not remember exactly. As I said it was dark but could not really see any particulate when holding up to a light. I use a designated rda and clean it up as I need to. Great flavor from it. I enjoy the vape but yeah it is a coil and wick killer.

John C

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Over filtering kinda kills it...

This is exactly what I think is wrong with 95% of NETs available for purchase. I think they need to cater to the coil-buyers and obviously I don't care about that really. I'm just looking for flavortown, population: me.

Bigrick, sounds like you "used" to do NETs...if u quit, why?The hassle?

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
This is exactly what I think is wrong with 95% of NETs available for purchase. I think they need to cater to the coil-buyers and obviously I don't care about that really. I'm just looking for flavortown, population: me.

Bigrick, sounds like you "used" to do NETs...if u quit, why?The hassle?
No I currently have enough. It is not an adv. As I mentioned it was really dark. I kind of worry about over infusing. I only put it away for 30 days this last time and perfect. I nic it up and use it as-is.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just coffee filter in a funnel. Takes 48 hours in winter to drain it all

Just once. Over filtering kinda kills it

And hi juicy

Generally, what percentage of NET do you use when you mix? I'm sure it varies from mix to mix but in general. ~20%?

And... subscribed

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanx.
Have been wanting to soak some bacco and try a NET for a while now. Guess I need to get online and grab some...

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Thanx.
Have been wanting to soak some bacco and try a NET for a while now. Guess I need to get online and grab some...

I'm thinking about it still - would love to try but don't know if I can cram in another project right now

John C

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No I currently have enough. It is not an adv. As I mentioned it was really dark. I kind of worry about over infusing. I only put it away for 30 days this last time and perfect. I nic it up and use it as-is.
Ive had NETs as ADV, but for me an ADV is not what ADV means for most people apparently, I've discovered. It seems that most people's idea of an ADV is a mild flavor. So why wasn't it an ADV for you? And what do you mean you worried about over infusing? Why would that be a concern?

John C

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@RonJS -- I saw in another thread that you just filter through a coffee filter (after getting the big stuff out). This idea appeals to me as I am shooting for flavor more than clean coils. Most people recommend using 2 micron filters and whatever else etc etc etc -- Can you confirm you're happy with just coffee filtering and have you tried using the X micron-level filtering?

I just mixed some INW TA Cuban standalone at 4%. Tastes pretty good-- for me, it is the best tasting and the most realistic aroma/taste of a cigar that I've ever had, after trying probably 15-20 cigar NETs from various vendors. And there were a few little bits of (what I hope is) tobacco in the bottle still, haha.

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
@RonJS -

I just mixed some INW TA Cuban standalone at 4%. Tastes pretty good-- for me, it is the best tasting and the most realistic aroma/taste of a cigar that I've ever had, after trying probably 15-20 cigar NETs from various vendors. And there were a few little bits of (what I hope is) tobacco in the bottle still, haha.

With around a 30% net addition, I use that (4-5%) in all my cigar mixes. I also usually include some INW DNB, Dark Tobacco and sometimes LSD.

John C

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I shouldve updated this earlier, and I wanted to take pics, but I will do that with my next batch I will be starting within a couple weeks.

But, update: I got a 12 pack of approx 500 ml mason jars from walmart for around 8 bucks. I got a 1-liter bottle of PG and had a 250 ml bottle already.

I chopped up my 1/4 lb bag of virginia whole leaves with scissors into pieces as small as I could do. Next batch I will be using some other method -- this was annoying. But the smell was amazing -- this is why I am doing this though... to vape that awesome smell. Or, at least try to.

Anyway, filled 3 of the jars about 4/5 full of the chopped virginia leave pieces and covered in PG. After those 3 jars, all of the liter of PG is gone. I chopped up half of my 1/4 lb burley leaves and shoved it all into one jar, as I only had 25 mls of PG left. And then filled it almost to the top in the one jar after I stuffed the burley in. Again, smell is wonderful.

That was about 5 days ago. Every day I shake the jars and put them back in the closet. The waiting game has begun.

I'll take pics on the next batch, which I plan to buy some Perique from leafonly, plus 2 or 3 cigars of varying flavor profile, plus 2 or 3 different pipe tobaccos. I'll need another couple of liters of PG probably, which I need to get. And it should take up the remainder of my jars.

I'm thinking of some other way to chop up the leaves. Food processor is probably too fast and inconsistent, so we'll see. I also had the idea of taking one of those hand-held single-serving mixers directly into the tobacco/PG jars and mixing it all up in the jar. I might do this with one of the three virginia jars. Herb grinders are so small but would work with cigars.

Last edited:

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This is final mix. Made using 2% of an American Spirit organic tobacco, 3 months cold steep. With 1% Drexel, same method.

The dark Latakia of the Drexel sets off the milder organic well. But still needs a steep.
30955272d7b2540c56cb275e613d5efe.jpg

John C

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Dogman, excellent....and looks like an excellent blend to make a very nice tobacco flavor profile.

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Screenshot_20190112-052244.png Screenshot_20190112-052045.png

This would be around $130 locally, with our taxes here. But these usually get through customs unchecked.

These will most likely be mixers, just to boost milder blends. Both have high on the "Room notes" profile. Which tends to translate well to nets, since it is more aroma than taste

John C

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This is weird -- I came here just to post a screenshot of my smokingpipes order I made yesterday, and I didnt see your post until just now. Its my first smokingpipes order and my second order for NET extraction (leafonly was my first, as mentioned above).

Im going to give these a try when they get here. Hoping for good results.

Still waiting on my first tobaccos to keep sitting -- they started on the 22nd I think, of December.

Here is what I have coming:

John C

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I wanted to get a fairly broad selection of pipe tobaccos and cigars. I got a virginia, one or two virginia/perique blends, a "smooth" english blend, a burley-heavy blend, one with some cavendish noted as aromatic, etc. I got a couple mild bodied, medium and one or two full bodied cigars. My old personal favorite montecristo white is in there. So we shall see how they translate. Hopefully well.

My purchased NETs of cigars from places like NET.com, MVJ etc,...I haven't been a big fan. But I think they were all heat extracts. Im hoping long cold macerations will reveal something nice.

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Following as well. If I bought a cigar though I would have a hard time keeping a lighter away from it....

It might spontaneously combust.

Izanagi7

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
With around a 30% net addition, I use that (4-5%) in all my cigar mixes. I also usually include some INW DNB, Dark Tobacco and sometimes LSD.

That escalated quickly. You’re adding LSD to your NET juice, dog? What is this the 60’s?

Sent from the Star Destroyer Executor

Izanagi7

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
This is so exciting. I love the idea of steeping my own juice from beautiful, aromatic pipe tobacco!

I'm thinking of some other way to chop up the leaves. Food processor is probably too fast and inconsistent, so we'll see.... Herb grinders are so small but would work with cigars.

You might try a big old pestle and mortar, commonly used to made herb and spice powder from raw materials.

A more high tech solution would be to try a burr mill. They’re designed to grind coffee beans without heating them up. You can adjust the grain size from coarse to fine. They’re a little pricey.

John C

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You might try a big old pestle and mortar, commonly used to made herb and spice powder from raw materials.

A more high tech solution would be to try a burr mill. They’re designed to grind coffee beans without heating them up. You can adjust the grain size from coarse to fine. They’re a little pricey.

Thanks for your interest! And I considered both of those options and I might end up trying one. Ill post here if I do.

John C

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Damn, 13$ for a single cigar ... glad I never got into those, lol.

I am following this thread with interest however, I might like to try this too sometime.
I agree...ive only spent that much on a cigar very rarely...but I justified it to myself here because if it tastes good in NET form, that one cigar should provide dozens of mls of extract.

Izanagi7

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Damn, 13$ for a single cigar ... glad I never got into those, lol.

Oh there are plenty of cigars in the 50$-100$ range. To date I believe the most expensive cigars in the world go for around 40,000$ a piece.

A rich man’s game.

John C

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Got all my tobacky today...very cool of USPS to deliver on sunday (I didnt think they did this for anyone but Amazon). I'm going to do some major PG'in and jarrin' later Monday. Will post pics of the filled jars and crap also. There isnt much need for pics but I'd think it would be cool if I was following someone else do this for the first time!

John C

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Welp, from this batch of tobacco thus far I have 5 jars of backie and PG sitting. I ran out of PG again, and I have more on order. Only 3 glass jars left also; ill have to buy more of those as well.

Anyway, I cut up the montecristo and the padron cigars and put them each into their own jar. I also put in 3 different pipe tobaccos into jars -- Lane 1Q; a C&D burley-focused blend; and last was a virginia/perique blend.

I still have 4 cigars and two more pipe tobaccos left to do.

Oh, in this batch I put in a bit of VG as well. I know filtering will be a bit tougher but I have heard of others doing this sometimes. And I am testing of perhaps using some VG will extract some different flavor properties from the tobacco that PG alone wouldnt. I dont know, but it doesn't hurt to try. So I used a ratio of 80/20 PG/VG ...but it might have been maybe even less VG than that.

Here is a pic of three of the jars after maceration and mix with PG and a bit of VG. Left is the monecristo cigar and the other two I think are pipe tobaccos. I think these are 480 ml jars.

Izanagi7

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
I wonder if the extract will have some nicotine in it. If so, controlling the nicotine level, I imagine would be a challenge.

John C

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I wonder if the extract will have some nicotine in it. If so, controlling the nicotine level, I imagine would be a challenge.

Ive always thought that but everywhere I see this the people say there is very little/no nicotine in the extract. I do not know why, nor do I know how to extract the nicotine if I could. But who knows, there may be some in there.

VU Sponsors