Become a Patron!

my first Clapton coil

lennart121

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
heey everyone

i just made my fisrt clapton coil.
kantal A1: center wire: 26 Gauge, around the center wire 30 Gauge.
took some trail en error but i got to coils out of it 6 wraps (2 coils)
0.49 ohm.
( in the griffin 25 pluss) great taste.

now my griffin never got warm with just a single wire, but now with the clapton it gets pretty warm is that a problem or is that normal with a clapton.

mutch thanks.

new builder:D

i did build basic single coils but i wanne step up my game:D

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Congrats on your first Clapton! The reason it is so hot is the 30 gauge wrap wire. Takes a long time to ramp up to heat and it takes a long time to cool down. Get some 36 and 38 gauge N80 or SS. Use those as the wrap wire and you will notice a big difference in ramp up/down and over all heat in your Griffin.

lennart121

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Congrats on your first Clapton! The reason it is so hot is the 30 gauge wrap wire. Takes a long time to ramp up to heat and it takes a long time to cool down. Get some 36 and 38 gauge N80 or SS. Use those as the wrap wire and you will notice a big difference in ramp up/down and over all heat in your Griffin.
Those n80 save to use in watt mode.
And dont realy like ss becose when it heats up it changes ohm and it makes me panicky.
Becose i am overly safe with al the exploding batterys.
Even tho its user error 99% of the time.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
The smaller gauges will not affect the ohms reading of your core. Electricity takes the path of least resistance. There will be very little current flowing through the wrap wires in a Clapton. If you don't want to use N80 or SS then get some smaller gauge kanthal to keep the heat down. That 30 gauge wrap is why your Griffin is getting hot.

I use SS for both wattage and TC and have used SS cores with n80 wrap in fused Claptons and TC works fine. N80 is not a TC wire BTW. N200 is the TC nickle wire. I also wrap kanthal with N80 or SS in power mode.

FΛDED

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The smaller gauges will not affect the ohms reading of your core. Electricity takes the path of least resistance. There will be very little current flowing through the wrap wires in a Clapton. If you don't want to use N80 or SS then get some smaller gauge kanthal to keep the heat down. That 30 gauge wrap is why your Griffin is getting hot.

I use SS for both wattage and TC and have used SS cores with n80 wrap in fused Claptons and TC works fine. N80 is not a TC wire BTW. N200 is the TC nickle wire. I also wrap kanthal with N80 or SS in power mode.

Yup. All of that. I only use power (wattage) and on unregulated devices. I build Claptons on all my RDAs, I enjoy it the most; enhanced flavor, bright fruity notes, thick milky clouds.

lennart121

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks, i will get smaler gauce kantel.

I had clapton wire from.geekvape and there was ss in there and my ohma went up everytime de coil got hot.

Thanks voor al the info

VU Sponsors